Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 18 Jan 2017, 06:47 (Ref:3703295)   #1
Mike L
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, California
Mike L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In search of March 782-13 history clarification

I am searching for more history on March 782 chassis #13 (Ex Ingo Hoffmann project 4 racing sponsored car 782-13). So far, from what I gathered, each works driver received one primary car, one spare car, and a spare tub for the 78 season. I would like to know if the chassis plate 782-13 currently exists on a tub in someones possession. It was said that one of Hoffmann's car was crashed in Temporada Argentena, late in the season.

It was also said that Andy Barton purchased an unused tub (with no chassis number), and a crashed, but repairable, tub from Ingo Hoffmann's team. He used one of these cars to compete in the 79 Atlantic season. Barton described his car as 782/79B. Anyone know if the car Andy Barton drove in 1979 was the same one Ingo Hoffmann drove and crashed? Was it his spare car? Or, was it the spare unused tub?

I would also like to know what chassis tag number was on the car Andy Barton drove. And, does anyone currently know were either of these cars may be located?

I am asking these questions because my father is currently restoring chassis 79B-13. We would very much like to know if this chassis has a connection to Andy Barton or Ingo Hoffmann.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You for your time
Attached Thumbnails
March 79b-13.jpg   march 79b roll bar numbers.jpg   march 79b car.jpg  

Last edited by Mike L; 18 Jan 2017 at 06:56.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3757253)   #2
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I am searching for more history on March 782 chassis #13 (Ex Ingo Hoffmann project 4 racing sponsored car 782-13). So far, from what I gathered, each works driver received one primary car, one spare car, and a spare tub for the 78 season. I would like to know if the chassis plate 782-13 currently exists on a tub in someones possession. It was said that one of Hoffmann's car was crashed in Temporada Argentena, late in the season.

It was also said that Andy Barton purchased an unused tub (with no chassis number), and a crashed, but repairable, tub from Ingo Hoffmann's team. He used one of these cars to compete in the 79 Atlantic season. Barton described his car as 782/79B. Anyone know if the car Andy Barton drove in 1979 was the same one Ingo Hoffmann drove and crashed? Was it his spare car? Or, was it the spare unused tub?

I would also like to know what chassis tag number was on the car Andy Barton drove. And, does anyone currently know were either of these cars may be located?

I am asking these questions because my father is currently restoring chassis 79B-13. We would very much like to know if this chassis has a connection to Andy Barton or Ingo Hoffmann.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You for your time
Mike

Hi. I don't think this would have anything to do with Ingo Hoffmann or Andy Barton.
I would guess that it spent its entire life in the US as a Formula Atlantic or CSR

I have quite a bit of data on 79Bs.
The raw chassis should at least yield the following data
1: On the plate itself there should be two other numbers beside the chassis number. One small one in the top right and one on the main part of the plate. What are they?
2: There ought to be an SCCA region stamp on the roll hoop. This would correspond to the log book number. This will tell me with some accuracy who the first non-pro user was.
3: There might be a red tag on the tub somewhere with a set of numbers. This would be the registration tag from the pro series.

Then, if you can tell me who you bought the car from, and where.
And if you have any photos of the bodywork in unrestored state

With that we might be able to get towards an ownership chain back to 1979.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3760157)   #3
Pardo
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
Pardo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. To clear all doubts, I confirm the existence on a tub with the chassis number 782-13. This is located in Switzerland and I am the owner.
By the season 79-80, this tub was managed by Sanremo Racing as a spare part.

I hope to have been helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4442.JPG  
Old 22 Nov 2017, 06:02 (Ref:3782128)   #4
Mike L
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, California
Mike L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your responses. It's much appreciated. Sorry for he lengthy delay in my response. Life seems to always get in the way of everything.

The gentleman who first imported the car into the US was Carmelo Crisafulli of Brooklyn , NY, in the 1990's. It was sold to the US pro driver Tim Gaffney. He raced the car in several vintage events in the early to mid 2000's as a historic FA car.

I was unable to uncover any history from the US SCCA roll bar stamp. The history on this chassis is unclear prior to the 1990's. What we do know is that the chassis has a single row of pop rivits along the top, which is indicative of the 1978 chassis design.

I have read that Andy Barton purchased several of Ingo Hoffman's race F2 tubs from 1978 and campaigned one of them in 1979 as an FB. If anyone has any further history on Andy Barton's 1979 FA (like what the chassis number is) I would really appreciate it. I included some pictures of the Andy Bartons car.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Barton-3-1.jpg   Barton-2.png  
Old 10 Apr 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3969809)   #5
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike

The car that Gaffney had which was imported by Crisafulli in the 1990s was 79B-13. I have full history of this car to Gaffney.

Is this the car you have? I understood that Gaffney owned that car as recently as 2011.

Are you saying, given the Hoffmann reference, that you have 78B-13?
So 79B in your last post is a typo
If so, I have history on that car too.
It has nothing to do with 782-13. They were completely separate entities.
PM me.

Chris