Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2994819)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Algarve Historic Festival

Series to be added.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 06:42 (Ref:3029282)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
EVENT MOVING TO ESTORIL !

Received this email last night. Not knowing Estoril or the surrounding area not sure if a good or bad move? My guess there will be financial reasons for the change.......

Estoril Historic Festival 18/21 October

Dear Friend,
Following the decision to move our Historic Festival back to Estoril where in 2003 we held the very first International Historic Motor Racing meeting in the Iberian Peninsula, we are glad to let you know that with the support of the Cascais Mayor and the Estoril Coast Tourist Board we have made the vast majority of the arrangements which encourage me to ensure all entrants and their families that we will give you a most interesting and enjoyable meeting with different leisure moments on and off-track.
This will be an exciting meeting in a renewed FIA Grade 2 track and circuit located near Lisbon and at the heart of one of Europe's top seaside resorts.
We are giving all entrants very similar - if not better - conditions to the ones we have been giving in our events.
Please visit www.estoril-portugal.com to catch a bit of the glamour and the attractions of this marvelous tourist destination which will make your trip even more enjoyable for you and your family.
We are negotiating with TAP special rates for the EHF entrants and we shall let you have more details in the very near future.

Organiser Francisco Santos will be at Race Retro so need to find out if worthwhile making the trip now!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3029302)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not as warm as the Algarve in October Mike!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3029303)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Received this email last night. Not knowing Estoril or the surrounding area not sure if a good or bad move? My guess there will be financial reasons for the change.......
I would guess your analysis is correct Mike. But who knows what incentives the Estoril bunch put up! Change is always a bit unsettling, but this could well be for the best. Time will tell.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3029420)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've edited the thread title.

FWIW, Estoril and its surrounds is delightful (or at least it was). Not far from Lisbon, it has Cascais nearby with excellent restaurants etc.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3029498)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the plan then Mike.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3029514)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Whats the plan then Mike.
Do some homework and talk to Francisco on Friday! Maybe the local tourist board has come up with more incentives to race at Estoril- or Portimao didn't come up with enough incentives to race there!

Who do we know on tenths that has raced there?
Old 22 Feb 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3029517)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

We stayed in Estoril for the 1988 GP. We found out from Journo's in the bar, that Mansell was leaving Williams for Ferrari. This was six weeks befopre the announcement. Of course in those days life was more relaxed. Still good memories though.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 22 Feb 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3029661)   #9
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As already mentioned, October in Estoril is quite frisky. But living in Lisbon, it'll be nice to have it next door so I'll try to hop over this time.
Estoril can be very windy all year long because of the Sintra area to the north with the hills. And also as mentioned, being located near the capital, it has a wider area of influence. Unfortunately, last year the Le Mans Series didn't get much of a following, in part due to poor advertising.
I haven't seen this published anywhere else and the Portimão circuit still mentions this event. And, in fact, the Festival cannot be the 'Algarve' Historic Festival if it moves up north.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3029733)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I understand the point re the title of the event but as it started as the Algarve Historic Festival, until such time as a new name is announced I can't really change it.

Sintra is a nice place to visit, as is Lisbon. It may not be as warm as the Algarve but that shouldn't stop folks from enjoying themselves. Would make a good autumn break for the family.

Edit. Just reread Mike's post. I'll edit the event title later.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3029752)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
I haven't seen this published anywhere else and the Portimão circuit still mentions this event. And, in fact, the Festival cannot be the 'Algarve' Historic Festival if it moves up north.
Hi Andrew
Thanks for the weather info for the. Will be interesting to see if race organisers that have been promoting their coming events at Portimao this Oct had prior warning. Am speaking to one this morning so hopefully will find out!

Am not ruling out a trip to Estoril, but having enjoyed 3 fantastic trips to the Algarve it is taking time to get head round the idea of new venue- although it is being said that Estoril had a historic meeting back in 2003?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Feb 2012 at 07:49. Reason: Editing
Old 7 Mar 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3036402)   #12
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have this morning been informed by one of the race organisers that
THE EVENT HAS NOT BEEN MOVED as yet
Algarve promotor has fallen out with the circuit and trying to convince the world that it has moved!!!!!!
Old 7 Mar 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3036422)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by awseng View Post
THE EVENT HAS NOT BEEN MOVED as yet
Thanks for that. Not for me to speculate on what is happening behind the scenes, but will be going regardless of where! As long as someone let's me know before truck gets to mid Spain........

Old 7 Mar 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3036461)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Damn! I like Estoril. Also like Portimao.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3036674)   #15
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic but Portugal have now introduced toll charges on most of their motorways but there are no pay stations on the motorways.

It's all done by cameras reading number plates. Residents can have some sort of transponder fitted to the car which automatically deducts the toll fee from an account.

Visitors can buy/hire a prepaid card and put credit onto it. The card cost can be reclaimed but any unused credit is lost.

Alternatively you can pay at a post office or toll office which are dotted around the towns but you can only pay a day after you have been on the motorway. So if your last journey is back to the airport or leaving the country you cannot pay.

If its not paid within 5 days you get a demand and/or a fine through the post.

There is no "online" facility.

Hire car companies are obliged to give your details to the toll operator. Some hire companies are arranging with customers to pay any outstanding toll some are not.

Its all a bit of a mess, hopefully it will be sorted before October.

Mrs F and I are out there in May.

Steve
Old 7 Mar 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3036701)   #16
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I confirm the above. It's called "financial overhauling" of a bankrupt country hahahah.

I already felt it in my pocket. Between the exit of the Lisbon-Algarve highway and Portimão, I must have paid at least 4/5 euros, so from Faro to Portimão, it must be roughly 6 euros.

For nationals, we have a radar box which we place on the front window and the scanners read it.
At the same time (and all the rest) it reads the 'bar code' that our cars have on the bottom of the front window.

It's a right mess, and I don't know if it will change because unfortunately they think they'll gain a lot of money from it to make up for the crap they'd done here. They forget that when things get more expensive, people tend to retract a bit and not only the roads become emptier, but so do hotels, restaurants, airports, etc.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3036825)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFurness View Post

Hire car companies are obliged to give your details to the toll operator. Some hire companies are arranging with customers to pay any outstanding toll some are not.

Its all a bit of a mess, hopefully it will be sorted before October.

Mrs F and I are out there in May.

Steve
Hi Steve, we saw all the new gantries being erected last October, and wondered how the scheme was going to work! It must have COST a fortune to set it all up.........

Hopefully we will learn how trucks arriving at and departing from a race circuit can comply!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3037457)   #18
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

It seems you can hire a temporary card (valid for up to 90 days) and if you pay by credit card the toll charges are automatically debited from your card.

The hire charge is 1:50 a day but with a maximum plus a 27:50 refundable deposit for the card.

Which of course you cannot return until you have left the country !!!!

Steve
Old 10 Mar 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3037880)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmmm, just read that the WTCC have moved their ESTORIL meeting scheduled for June 2/3 to PORTIMAO on same weekend, so there is obviously time for the October Historic meeting to yo-yo back and forth a few times yet.

May help in getting lowdown on tolls, as couple of the AutoGP teams (supporting WTCC) have their bases near here.......
Old 10 Mar 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3037914)   #20
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
The move to Portimão of WTCC was because Estoril lacked the funds to hold the event.
At the beginning of the year the Estoril track owner said that they'd only have events that are self-sufficient (pay the bill themselves). For WTCC they couldn't find enough support.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3037970)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
The move to Portimão of WTCC was because Estoril lacked the funds to hold the event.
At the beginning of the year the Estoril track owner said that they'd only have events that are self-sufficient (pay the bill themselves). For WTCC they couldn't find enough support.
That makes sense Andrew. Good to know that Portimao can afford to host the event.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3037987)   #22
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
More to the point, why do the FIA feel that their fees for holding a round of one of their championships can be justified, if the circuits/organisers can't make a decent return or, apparently in this case, even break even?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3038000)   #23
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
same question I have John.

It seems that the organizers are the ones obliged to obtain the resources to run the event.
Last year WTCC was at Porto (Boavista) and the costs were tremendous, mostly coming from city council and the sponsors they could arrange.
It seems as if FIA regards the events as a privilege for tracks ti have and fund themselves. But isn't it like that everywhere? Costs are why Boavista didn't plam anything for this year even though everyone wanted it, including FIA.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3046539)   #24
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had this from MRL.Thank God

We are delighted to bring you news of the season's finale in Portugal. The following press release is being issued today:

Algarve Classic Festival, 18-21 October 2012
Portuguese event grows into major new historic racing weekend

Thanks to the enthusiasm of historic racers for the exhilarating circuit set in the rocky hills of southern Portugal, the annual October historic racing weekend at the Algarve International Autodrome is being relaunched in 2012 as a major European event, with the new name of the Algarve Classic Festival.

“Since the Autodrome was completed in 2008, our annual historic motorsport event has become increasingly popular across Europe,” says Circuit Director Paulo Pinheiro. “Recently, we have heard from a small number of race organisers and racers who were concerned that the event would no longer be run every year; but this is not the case. We can say with certainty that the Algarve Classic Festival is a firm fixture for 2012, and will be an annual event from now on. We are very proud of our challenging, 4,7km circuit. Drivers love to tackle its steep hills and technical corners, while the stark beauty of the locality and the high chance of hot sunny weather is – I feel sure – more than a small part of the attraction for their friends and families. The Algarve Classic Festival is set to grow and grow.”

The first Algarve Classic Festival, on 18-21 October 2012, will include such races as the Stirling Moss Trophy for pre-61 sportscars and sports-racers, the Motor Racing Legends Pre-War Sports Car Series, the JD Classics Challenge for Touring Cars from 1966-85, the U2TC for under-2-litre Touring Cars, the ‘1000km’ for pre-72 sports-racing cars, and the GT & Sports Car Cup for pre-66 GTs and pre-63 sportscars.

Duncan Wiltshire of Motor Racing Legends, who is bringing three of these races to the Algarve in October, comments, “When we first came here in 2009, we weren’t sure how our racers would take to the Portuguese circuit which rises and falls a startling 106 feet and presents a technically tricky challenge to the drivers. Some competitors took to it straight away, while others were, at first, a bit surprised. There are blind brows and steep drops, strung together by corners with complex changes in camber and the odd tightening double apex. But by the end of that first weekend we were hearing comments along the lines of ‘It’s as good as Spa or the Brands Hatch GP circuit’ or simply ‘Bloody fantastic!’ Now, Algarve is always one of our racers’ favourite events of the year.”

Meanwhile, Carol Spagg of Historic Motor Racing News, who runs the U2TC and ‘1000km’ races, is just as delighted that the annual racing weekend has been relaunched as an even bigger and better festival: “There were rumours over the future of this event, but I have been down in the Algarve and seen the optimism of all involved in the project, from circuit owner Paulo Pinheiro himself, to marshals and caterers, and I’m very sure we will have a very successful race meeting and a very warm welcome from all of them. The drivers love the circuit and we have already taken more entries this early in the year than we had last year.”

For more information on the Algarve International Autodrome and the new Algarve Classic Festival, see www.autodromodoalgarve.com

Motor Racing Legends Ltd
Woodbine Farm
Thorndon
Suffolk IP23 7JJ
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1379 678 101

Email: enquiries@motorracinglegends.com
Website: www.motorracinglegends.comCopyright (C) 2012 Motor Racing Legends Ltd All rights reserved.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3046547)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks for posting that. Had the good news from Lindsey at MRL this morning, so a nice sunny warm day made even better....