Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 18 Aug 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2746884)   #1
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which way to go? Xbox-PS3-Wii

Might be in a position to get one soon, but undecided which way to go, particurly with F1 2010 coming out soon.

Wii- good for the little ones but not remotely simmy
PS3- has bluray and GT5 (although I didn't like GT4)
Xbox- has some good driving titles but will my DFP work with it?

Or just stay on the PC with GTR-Evo and GTR2.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2746887)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A PS3 as you'll be able to use Logitech wheels with GT5, F1, WRC and more plus it's a solid media player.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2746967)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had this been a few months ago I would have said Xbox 360. You had the Forzas, Race Pro and whatnot. Except your DFP wouldn't work with it.

Now with GT5 and F2010 almost here I would definitely say the PS3. They seem like they are going to be killer titles, plus you get built in wifi and the blu-ray player. Its also not stupidly overpriced anymore.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2746990)   #4
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a Wii and PS3 and I play the Wii much more than the PS3. The HD machines seem to concentrate on making the graphics as real as possible and forgetting to inject a bit of character and fun into the games. However, considering the forum I'd say you want to play racing games, in which case go PS3! The Wii is not blessed with good racing games. Mario Kart rocks. Not exactly a simulation though!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2746991)   #5
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And while you're waiting for GT5 & F1 2010, get yourself a copy of Racedriver Grid & Colin McCrae Dirt 1 (thought 2 was dire) for a taster of things to come-both on Platinum so look around for bargains.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2747077)   #6
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new XB360, built in wireless, 250gb hard drive, smaller, quieter machine and F1 2010, FM3, FM2, Race Pro, Grid etc etc etc

Plus when ur not using a wheel u will be using a MUCH NICER controller

Oh and the console is only £199.99 > http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-...D/Product.html

DONT BUY THE DAMN WII, ITS S***
Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2747093)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
Mario Kart rocks. Not exactly a simulation though!
Everything has its place, you can learn a lot about racing on public servers from it

Last edited by Spudgun; 19 Aug 2010 at 11:54. Reason: typo
Old 19 Aug 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2747129)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about sticking with the pc? Youve got Gtr2, Rfactor, Iracing, Live for speed plus f12010 and the new Wrc game will be coming out on pc.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2747405)   #9
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
Thanks everyone, I must admit the PC still rocks (but it's a laptop so gets stressed pretty quick with the latest stuff like Dirt 2 but GTR2, Race07 etc still go great.)

I will admit I want more of a quick blast than a sim (but with some sim skills involved) but also would like the fun factor, especially with the youngsters hence Mario kart (and maybe groom the next Hamilton!)
Old 20 Aug 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2747524)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends what range of games you want really.

Just racers and it is hard to say. PS3 has GT5, 360 has Forza and Wii has Mario Kart.

A variety of excellent games? 360 all the way.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2747643)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Wii is a nice party trick but for any racing games or simulation forget it.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2747696)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
And while you're waiting for GT5 & F1 2010, get yourself a copy of Racedriver Grid & Colin McCrae Dirt 1 (thought 2 was dire) for a taster of things to come-both on Platinum so look around for bargains.
And just to show how opinions differ I thought Grid was atrocious and Dirt the worst rally game I've ever played!

Dirt 2 was far more intuitive on the driving front but was unfortunately blighted by race classes and tracks that had little to do with actual rallying.

Dirt 3 looks like it will address this.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2747714)   #13
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
And just to show how opinions differ I thought Grid was atrocious and Dirt the worst rally game I've ever played!

Dirt 2 was far more intuitive on the driving front but was unfortunately blighted by race classes and tracks that had little to do with actual rallying.

Dirt 3 looks like it will address this.

To be honest, I only played a demo of Dirt 2 but found it way to 'arcadey' and a million miles away from the ethos of the original Colin McCrae games.

Grid's not perfect but about the best on offer if you want real circuits & cars on the PS3.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2747716)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
The new WRC game looks like it's going to be similar to the PS1/2 Colin McRae games so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2754309)   #15
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

A variety of excellent games? 360 all the way.
Maybe back in 2007, yes but its 2010 now. The consoles are pretty equally matched these days on this front and if anything the PS3 is slightly infront especially when it comes down to new francraises from this generation.

If anything, I think the biggest swinger now is the online service. I don't know much about Wii but on 360 you're forced to pay for the same service which is basically free on the PS3, apart from one or two features.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2754491)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well when you get a job you will be able to afford to pay for the superior quality of XBox Live.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2754537)   #17
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The choice between these three is difficult. It's basically a choice between the Wii and the other two in the first place which the Wii, IMHO, looses without much fight as all it really had has been made by the opponents too. The choice between the X360 and PS3 is a bit more difficult. The PS3's network features are of course free unless you just want more and it also offers more recent technology having been introduced at a later date. I don't know any pro's of the X360 opposed to the PS3. I would therefore suggest the PS3 but only by a small margin
Old 4 Sep 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2754538)   #18
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well when you get a job you will be able to afford to pay for the superior quality of XBox Live.
Apart from the whole idea of getting something back through gamerpoints and using them to purchase DLC, theres nothing extra Live really adds that you can't get on PS3 .
You pay for a game and you pay for your internet connection, you shouldn't have to pay more to play the game online, especially when the Online modes now basically replace the old 'free' multi-player modes... .
Old 4 Sep 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2754580)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Apart from the whole idea of getting something back through gamerpoints and using them to purchase DLC, theres nothing extra Live really adds that you can't get on PS3 .
You pay for a game and you pay for your internet connection, you shouldn't have to pay more to play the game online, especially when the Online modes now basically replace the old 'free' multi-player modes... .
On the face of it they appear the same probably. And thus the free option appeals more to some.

However PSN just depresses me. It just feels cobbled together, with many ideas from XBox Live tacked half heartedly on. Also the fact PSN is free means a greater proportion of dole scrounging tools populating the lobbies with their witlessness.

Live is well worth the small amount you pay. Better service, better ideas. Better everything.

This isn't to say PSN isn't alright, just that saying it
is anywhere close to Live is madness, frankly.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2754610)   #20
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
On the face of it they appear the same probably. And thus the free option appeals more to some.

However PSN just depresses me. It just feels cobbled together, with many ideas from XBox Live tacked half heartedly on. Also the fact PSN is free means a greater proportion of dole scrounging tools populating the lobbies with their witlessness.

Live is well worth the small amount you pay. Better service, better ideas. Better everything.

This isn't to say PSN isn't alright, just that saying it
is anywhere close to Live is madness, frankly.
And on 360 you get loads of chavs shouting '**** you' down their mics, theres not really a lot of difference :P. I've never had any problem with these so called 'dole scronging tools' maybe because the PS3 is so expensive in the first place? You 360 fans can't have it both ways, one minute its too expensive now its too cheap
I don't think Live is a bad service at all, but the advantages of it compared with the PSN are, on the whole, severely over-stated when you consider, get basically the main function (to play games online) for free.
Btw, they've both been stealing ideas of each other for ages. Sonys 'trophy system' is taken from 360s achievements but then at the same time the 360s 'dashboard' is basically a rip-off of Sony's XMB.

I personally don't think either service is better than the other but I think that those who still blindly pay for 'live' thinking its somehow miles better than the PSN...well I think they are stuck in 2005 when the PS2 needed a network adaptor...
Old 5 Sep 2010, 08:01 (Ref:2754662)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No need to get jealous babe.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2754780)   #22
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
No need to get jealous babe.
. If if I had something to be jealous of then maybe you'd have a point but unfortunatly these days M$ are milking it for all its worth. If people want to keep on paying it, thats fair enough but they are, to be quite frank, absent minded if they think its going to give them a much better service than you can get on PS3.
Back in early 2007 I had the choice of buying a 360 due to the PS3 being delayed in Europe. I decided not to, mainly due to the idea of having to pay for online, it was a question of principle rather than if I could afford it or not. Was it a risk? Sure, the PSN was pretty poor in the early days but then so was Live, nowadays though, they both offer the same service, thats it.
I think you'll find that the majority of consoles owners are teenagers and get live paid for them by their parents, so the problem of dole scronging tools doesn't really come into it.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2756266)   #23
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Might be in a position to get one soon, but undecided which way to go, particurly with F1 2010 coming out soon.

Wii- good for the little ones but not remotely simmy
PS3- has bluray and GT5 (although I didn't like GT4)
Xbox- has some good driving titles but will my DFP work with it?

Or just stay on the PC with GTR-Evo and GTR2.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have a PS3, a 360 and a Wii

In the more recent past I've been playing more XBox than anything else due to there being very few driving games worth playing on the PS3, and have played more F1 2009 on the Wii than any PS3 games atall.

But Forza3 was a massive disappointment for me, so now I'm counting down the days till F1 2010.

In my position with having both consoles and a Fanatec wheel I'm going to be playing F1 on both 360 and PS3.

But if I were in your position I would probably go for the PS3 now.
  • You'r DFP will work brilliantly on the '3 and not at all on the '360
  • Online racing is free on the '3
  • GT5's-a-comin when FM3 is almost dead and wasn't that great anyway
  • If SimBin do a next version of RACE Pro for the console I have every suspicion that it'll be on the PS3
Of course if GT5 doesn't tempt you, then why not save your money and get F1 2010 for your PC instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
If people want to keep on paying it, thats fair enough but they are, to be quite frank, absent minded if they think its going to give them a much better service than you can get on PS3.

Not at all, I play online with both and the XBox Live is a far superior service than PSN, yes there is the principle of paying M$ for the service, but I get my XBL from a discounted website, last time I payed for XBL it cost me £28, that's the equivallent of less than 54p a week and for the service I get I think that's a bargain.

It's not absent minded....it's a fact.

But to answer the OP's predicament, I would have said go for the XBox 360....... But as he's already got a wheel that is far superior to any of the XBox exclusive equivallents then it wouldn't make sense to do that and then need a wheel for a console which is on it's last legs and at a time when all of the good or adequate wheels for the 360 are now out of production.

Last edited by jonboy1066; 8 Sep 2010 at 17:16.

Perry McCarthy
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2756273)   #24
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Double post....sorry

Perry McCarthy
Old 10 Sep 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2757060)   #25
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
Thanks eveyone, decided to go the Wii, more for the little ones and get F12010 on the PC (thanks to Steam's very good price before it went up.) May get the PS3 next year as I'll need a bluray by then for Star Wars and will be able to see if GT5 is any good (I loved GT3 but not GT4)