Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Feb 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2825891)   #1
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jomo formula ford bodywork

Hey guys I'm looking for some bodywork for a jomo formula ford 1968 anybody got any ideas who might have some??

Cheers Benn
Old 4 Feb 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2825899)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - that's a tall order! Merlyn Mk17-20 - no problem. Crosslé 16F likewise, but a Jomo?...

Most 60's-70's FF1600s could be reproduced mechanically by someone with an oxy-acetylene welding set, a lathe, a small guillotine and a fly press (and possibly access to some Brabham uprights). The bodywork might be a bit more difficult, but there's a lot of talent out there...
Old 4 Feb 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2825901)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Have you got any pictures Ben
Old 5 Feb 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2826189)   #4
ralt-racer
Racer

Hi guys I believe its a brabham bt16 copy certanly the secramer was ours had a slight difference where the screen fits but thats about it. This picture is a bit deceving around the nose area as it is quite round but cut back which make's it look squarer. I have some more piccies somewhere I'll get them out and scan them.

Cheers

Benn
Attached Thumbnails
JOMO%20Scan.jpg  
Old 27 Nov 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3172284)   #5
vickery122
Rookie

vickery122 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jomo bodywork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralt-racer View Post
Hey guys I'm looking for some bodywork for a jomo formula ford 1968 anybody got any ideas who might have some??

Cheers Benn
Yours prays have been answered. I designed and made the moulds for the Jomo FF and sold the moulds this year to Bob Birch who can be contacted on 01827712051 (UK number) . Talk to him and see what he will and can do.

Basically it was a Brabham shell modified to take a short screen and had flutes from here to the front suspension apertures.

Hope this helps

Keith Vickery
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3173062)   #6
ralt-racer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickery122 View Post
Yours prays have been answered. I designed and made the moulds for the Jomo FF and sold the moulds this year to Bob Birch who can be contacted on 01827712051 (UK number) . Talk to him and see what he will and can do.

Basically it was a Brabham shell modified to take a short screen and had flutes from here to the front suspension apertures.

Hope this helps

Keith Vickery
Hi Kieth, Many thanks for the contact details. we had manufacturered a body from a brabham bt 15 which looked very similar but to have a orignal would be great. I have called Bob and had a nice chat with him regarding some new body work.

I'll send you a pm with my details

Kind Regrads

Benn Simms

Ps a Jomo has now won a couple of formula ford races this year.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3173073)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralt-racer View Post
Ps a Jomo has now won a couple of formula ford races this year.
...and it also looks very smart

Old 30 Nov 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3173456)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's something about those early FFords isn't there? The Merlins and Loti were particularly pretty IMO.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3173518)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably one of the reasons why Historic Formula Ford is popular with competitors and spectators. Other open wheel formulae have a certain draw with brutish wings and bodywork designed to do exactly what it says on the tin but the simplicity of the early Formula Fords is very attractive. Close racing, as it was 'in the day', also helps with the popularity.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3173536)   #10
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There's something about those early FFords isn't there? The Merlins and Loti were particularly pretty IMO.
Fancy a go then Peter? Come to Mallory one Wednesday morning and find out what a real race car feels like - we have plenty to chose from and, like the best drug dealers, the first go is free.....
Old 30 Nov 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3173565)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, you never know. Last one I drove was, IIRC, an RF 79.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3173575)   #12
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a genuine offer, we go to Mallory most Wednesdays, and the breakfasts are rather good too!
Old 30 Nov 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3173581)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
LOL, Currently too far away.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3173600)   #14
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
It's a genuine offer, we go to Mallory most Wednesdays, and the breakfasts are rather good too!

tempting....

and yes, the brekkies are tasty (and lethal in long term use)

Rudolf
Old 1 Dec 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3173890)   #15
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Alexis is another very attractive one.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3174353)   #16
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
.....the simplicity of the early Formula Fords is very attractive. ......
Probably why there are so many recent 'early' formula fords appearing !!!!
Old 3 Dec 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3174638)   #17
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula Ford moved on in the late 70's with the advent of inboard suspension and went a step further in the 80's with fancy front end castings, engine spacers that incorporated oil tanks and ever more complicated set ups. It became expensive and no longer the domain for the "man in the street". When Pre 74 was introduced it was an instant success. Simple cars, good racing and relatively cheap. You still had to be good to win. Having a bit of cash helped, but a reasonable driver, on a small budget, could still get good results.

It's no surprise that these cars are popular again.