Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Nov 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3168033)   #1
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Snetterton charity race day.

Just back from a glorious wall to wall sun soaked Snetterton charity race day.

I know some of us were their last year and it was ok, and raised £20 thousand.

Today though, the wonderfull team of organisers, volunteers and drivers, went up a thousand times in slick and superbly managed style.
Really superbly run. Lot of very appreciative public. Lots of smiles from the competitors as well for a great days safe testing all for the princely sum of a £5 pound note !!!!

Some really tasty historic and modern machinery all driven really safely and well, and car parks full of interesting cars and clubs.

Well done to Shaun Taylor, Roger Bennington, MSV and all who put it together.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3168119)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Excellent that it went well, I was booked to do it but had to cancel because of op next week which should have been last week but was cancelled after I had given up my place. Glad it went well as its a very worthwhile charity.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3168380)   #3
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al,

firstly, i hope your op goes well.

This year the organisers reorganised the set up completely with superb signage, hundreds of well tabarded and helpfull staff, slick getting cars out on track, more stands and things going on, and so very much more of a buzz than last year. Weather did help, but i have to say that if they organised race meetings as well we would all be pleased.

They were more "choosy" in their cars this year which made for a better and safer balance. The cost of their insurance must have been considerable but i doubt they will ever have any problems in future events as it was so well policed.

Met other "tenthers" there, and James and his Daytona Cobra and John Dixon with his Ram Cobra were close neighbours. A lot of passengers had big smiles on their faces after runs with those two cars.

Old 20 Nov 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3169137)   #4
jacobyte
Rookie

United Kingdom
jacobyte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was great to see you too Graham and your incredibly gorgeous 917, without doubt 'belle of the ball' (the car, not you!).

What an excellent day, and whilst last year was very good, this was better in every way - organisation, weather, communications, food, etc.

Without the starter motor working I still managed to make it all 150 miles back to my home without needing to stop, which was a relief! Next year I'll trailer it up there so that I can use track tyres and lean on it a bit more.

Hopefully see you out sometime next season in some series, I'll speak to Bernie again to see what's what.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3169484)   #5
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
James, so glad you arrived home safely after a long day and lots of driving.

Glad you did not have to stop engine with that starter motor problem and that the rear hub nut and bearing was OK. You certainly made peaople happy with that scarce beast of yours and that glorious V8 sound.
Still think you were mad driving it all that way and back, plus the track work, but all credit to you for helping to add great value to the charity race day.

Made the day even better by having you park up next to me and using my transporter as the office and changing room !!
I managed to sell that set of old 917 race tyres for the charity just after you had gone as well, so was well pleased.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3170273)   #6
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Wow,

just been confirmed.

£41,000 raised on Sunday. Double that of last year.

November 17th in 2013.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3170281)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Wow,

just been confirmed.

£41,000 raised on Sunday. Double that of last year.

November 17th in 2013.
Brilliant result Graham! Well done all concerned.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3170307)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well done all
Old 24 Nov 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3170575)   #9
jacobyte
Rookie

United Kingdom
jacobyte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham, I've just had my first chance to look under the car at the starter motor. The problem was immediately rather obvious - the solenoid spade connector had come loose. A rather easy 5-minute fix, which is a massive relief!

See you in 2013.
Old 25 Nov 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3170956)   #10
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk

Thats good news James.

I,m just head butting the desk now with hindsight!!

You could have just driven up the ramps of the transporter and looked under the front end with easy access to the motor. Doh !!!*** ???

It was such a good day though, and was so easy to start by pushing. I think we would have been in a different frame of mind if it had been a race meeting.