Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3634542)   #1626
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After Pirelli threatened to withdraw their bid to supply tyres to FI if a testing deal was not approved by 16.00 CET today, the Strategy Group and the F1 Commission signed off on it at the 11th hour.

This means that the FIA, assuming that the WMSC rubber stamps the deal, can go ahead and actually award Pirelli with the contract to supply tyres next year. It seems as though the new tyres will be longer lasting and more consistent as requested by the drivers and teams. I don't suppose that will please the ring-master, though!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fo...an-688438/?s=1
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3634586)   #1627
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well if Bernie does not like it, it's simply too bad ..
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3634590)   #1628
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The WMSC is set to ratify this on Wednesday.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3634703)   #1629
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult to believe that was nothing more then an empty threat
Old 25 Apr 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3636207)   #1630
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's an interesting article on Motorsport dot com which does seem to throw up a conundrum for the teams for next season. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/te...17-690118/?s=1

To précis it, the new style tyres for next year will not be decided on until some time after this year's championship has finished, and they will not have been tested on the new for 2017 cars, the rules for which have yet to be signed off. So it's highly likely that the first opportunity any of the teams will have to try them will be at the official tests prior to the start of next season.

However, the new rules dictate that the teams have to nominate their tyres well before the cars turn a wheel, and Pirelli have to then ship them to Australia. Now, Pirelli thinks that everybody has to sit down and discuss this problem, which may mean that they will be forced to airfreight the tyres for the first few races.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3636332)   #1631
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If teams have to choose their tyres blind that could spice up the action on track with cars out of position etc.
There will be those who will get it more right than other some by pure luck.
Old 12 May 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3641228)   #1632
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
As mentioned in the Closed Cockpits thread, two teams are being investigated by the FIA and Pirelli concerning running their tyres 2 psi below the minimum. The cars in question are, apparently, passing the strict pressure and temperature rules as they leave the pits and on the grid, yet somehow manage to lose the 2 psi once running.

Names have been mentioned, and it is believed that one is a leading team whilst the other is one of the middle rankers. It was initially rumoured to be Mercedes and Force India, but that has been discounted, and in the case of Force India, it is believed that they couldn't afford to fund the trickery required to achieve this cheating. The actual culprits are thought to be closely linked, possibly sharing a benefactor. They certainly could afford this magic.
Old 12 May 2016, 22:20 (Ref:3641233)   #1633
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As mentioned in the Closed Cockpits thread, two teams are being investigated by the FIA and Pirelli concerning running their tyres 2 psi below the minimum. The cars in question are, apparently, passing the strict pressure and temperature rules as they leave the pits and on the grid, yet somehow manage to lose the 2 psi once running.

Names have been mentioned, and it is believed that one is a leading team whilst the other is one of the middle rankers. It was initially rumoured to be Mercedes and Force India, but that has been discounted, and in the case of Force India, it is believed that they couldn't afford to fund the trickery required to achieve this cheating. The actual culprits are thought to be closely linked, possibly sharing a benefactor. They certainly could afford this magic.
Mike. this is intriguing, but then you are maybe being too subtle for a simple being like myself? The only two teams that I can think who have a mutual benefactor are those who amazingly belong to a fizzy drinks company but surely that's too obvious? (There must be hidden depths to this?)
Old 13 May 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3641291)   #1634
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
A few more bubbles to add to the fizz: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mc...ve-735663/?s=1
Old 14 May 2016, 12:30 (Ref:3641574)   #1635
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Predictably Palmer's tyre failure not structural despite no sign of puncture says Pirelli.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...re-case-closed
Old 16 May 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3642143)   #1636
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so the compounds made a difference and teams got to opt for different strategies with some teams splitting it between drivers with some drivers managing to extract the most out of what they had.

all boxes checked!

Pirelli provided exactly what they were mandated to do. helped of course by the turn 2/3 incident but all in all they provided the right rubber to make what usually is a boring race much better.

must say they deserve their credit for this race.
Old 24 May 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3644003)   #1637
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so the compounds made a difference and teams got to opt for different strategies with some teams splitting it between drivers with some drivers managing to extract the most out of what they had.

all boxes checked!

Pirelli provided exactly what they were mandated to do. helped of course by the turn 2/3 incident but all in all they provided the right rubber to make what usually is a boring race much better.

must say they deserve their credit for this race.

Yeah magnificent Pirelli, they have turned the pinnacle of a sport into a randomised joke, well done!
Old 24 May 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3644037)   #1638
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yeah magnificent Pirelli, they have turned the pinnacle of a sport into a randomised joke, well done!
We've been here before, many times: FOM, the FIA and the teams collectively specified what they wanted Pirelli to do.

Pirelli have done as asked and completely fulfilled their contractual obligations.

Moan by all means, but direct your ire in the right direction!
Old 24 May 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3644097)   #1639
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
in fairness, what made it random?

the tires offered more performance then was predicted and teams had to figure it out on the fly.

generally it is when the tires offer less performance then specified when the teams (and us) complain about the randomness of it all no?

so while it is rare, being able to offer a product where it is possible to extract more then what is predicted is preferable and deserving of credit imo.
Old 25 May 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3644302)   #1640
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing random to see here. It's the same for everyone. Can you do your homework better than the others? This year the homework starts earlier and I suppose you may make a mistake before the race weekend starts. Maybe that is what wnut means about random? Even so that isn't that much different from just designing a rear wing worse than others and being on the back foot before you start. The way the regulations are written it is difficult to make a really terrible choice before the weekend.

We happened to have a Grand Prix where it was hard to chose between two strategies. The teams covered all bases and this meant it was interesting.

wnut, at least take heart that your hated Mercedes crashed out.

Old 26 May 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3644689)   #1641
wnut
Veteran

Don't hate Mercedes as such Adam, I just hate how they go about F1 racing, but I guess the rest of the teams voted for the token system too and Mercedes were bright enough, and committed enough to invest the money up front.

The Mercs taking one another out early did lead to a better GP though.

How can it be said that stipulating a tyre choice in January(?), for a compound that you have never run and does not perform as specified, for a new car that is still being built, be seen as anything but random?
Old 27 May 2016, 22:55 (Ref:3644978)   #1642
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Difficult, maybe, but not random. Besides you can't go too far wrong due to the other limits on the choice and the teams had information about the tyres.

There was no randomness in the Spanish GP caused by this. Other than the puncture.

I'd have the choice even more open and later in an ideal world. However the current situation doesn't really bother me and I don't write of the GP as random because of it.
Old 30 May 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3645825)   #1643
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i think i heard it mentioned that 5 different compounds used within one race is an f1 record....which i suppose was inevitable and would have happened whenever the first wet race occurred.

another good outing for Pirelli?

i must say seeing the teams work out how to extract the most out of a variety of compounds and the different solutions/combinations they came up with was an added value to this race.
Old 7 Jul 2016, 02:13 (Ref:3657401)   #1644
wnut
Veteran

Austria 2016 - another Pirelli explosion for Vettel blamed on debris as usual.

Just keep fiddling and making excuses until ...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...dings-revealed

Good to see Pirelli just keeps on mixing up the results, awesome just awesome. NOT!

Last edited by wnut; 7 Jul 2016 at 02:20.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3658964)   #1645
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
interview with Paul Hembery discussing among other things longer lasting, less degradation tires for 2017.

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/in...mbery-q-a.html

a new philosophy and a break from the mandate which has given many of us so much cause for complaint.

hopefully this is a situation of where we get what we want but also leads to better racing.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 05:15 (Ref:3659010)   #1646
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh bother, is this goose still around?
He's been blissfully absent from any Pirelli news I've seen recently. Had hoped he might have been shut down. Evidently not!
Old 17 Jul 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3659096)   #1647
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
interview with Paul Hembery discussing among other things longer lasting, less degradation tires for 2017.

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/in...mbery-q-a.html

a new philosophy and a break from the mandate which has given many of us so much cause for complaint.

hopefully this is a situation of where we get what we want but also leads to better racing.
Maybe Pirelli will even work out how to make a full wet so the race can start on them, not go from behind the safety car onto intermediates.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 20:52 (Ref:3663330)   #1648
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RBR test 2017 tyres.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125607
Old 4 Aug 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3663405)   #1649
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
A rundown on the tyre testing for next year, and what is and isn't permitted for the three teams conducting the tests for Pirelli.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...ge-805179/?s=1
Old 2 Sep 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3669202)   #1650
wnut
Veteran

Anyone else here keen to see the pressure trace of Magnussen's right rear tyre from Spa?
On the slow motion as the car lost the rear, the rim seemed to be sticking out well clear of the side wall.
May have been just a load issue, but the above visual and the nature of the way the rear of the car let go it looked to me very like the type of accident you would have when a tyre has gone soft, and not the result of spinning the inner wheel up on the kerb.

Any ideas?