Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3659401)   #1
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ecclestone Signs Italian GP Deal with Imola

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/im...ian-gp-798879/

Pending approval from the Italian ASN, Imola could host the Italian GP as early as 2017. Bernie playing both sides to the extreme, or a legitimate attempt to put Imola on the calendar?
Old 18 Jul 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3659405)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
My cynical soul tells me the former. I hope a deal can be done to keep it at Monza, but my real hope is that we just keep an Italian Grand Prix.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3659408)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...la-f1-contract
Old 18 Jul 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3659416)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
securing Imola would lessen the sting of loosing Monza but i am still optimistic that both can happen at the same time.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3659469)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125344

In this article it appears as though Bernie just wants a signature for Monza to go ahead but he seems to forget to mention his fee. I wonder how much more its going to cost Monza over the current contract as it seems like one of the government organisatiions is lining his pocket to the tune of €5 million.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3659470)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I heard that because Monza is now secure they're going to bring back the SM Grand Prix
Old 18 Jul 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3659479)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I could live with that - happily - but I really don't see it happening because of pressure on the calendar.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 06:31 (Ref:3659532)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Imola doesn't look like an F1 grade circuit these days?!
Old 19 Jul 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3659562)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
They've done work on it recently. It's Grade 1 - more than F1-ready.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3659564)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
They've done work on it recently. It's Grade 1 - more than F1-ready.
Have they somehow multiplied the space between the pit-lane and river by a factor of about five? Ie. the "paddock."
Old 19 Jul 2016, 11:58 (Ref:3659568)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
All I can say is that the FIA has approved it for potential Formula 1 use.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3659662)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Both Monza and Imola would be excellent. I wouldn't sacrifice Monza for Imola tho'.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 03:51 (Ref:3659713)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Have they somehow multiplied the space between the pit-lane and river by a factor of about five? Ie. the "paddock."
No real difference from the space at Hungaroring.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3659753)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Both Monza and Imola would be excellent. I wouldn't sacrifice Monza for Imola tho'.
Quite so. Barring 1980, the Italian GP has always been at Monza, and of course the track's history goes way back before the age of the World Championship.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3659755)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hungary has always been bernie's pet though. and like montreal, budapest is a superb city that everyone loves visiting.

the two are very similar though - hungary has a lot more space to play with in terms of car parking and places to put vips, but imola is smack bang in the middle of imola. in terms of locations it's like a much more compact monza. imola has a high speed train service but the nearest major airport is bologna...
Old 20 Jul 2016, 14:35 (Ref:3659776)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
~25 miles to the nearest major airport isn't far.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3659797)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
anyone who knows bologna knows it's as major an airport as milan bergamo. it isn't monza has 3 within that distance. budapest just has the one but that IS a major airport.

i went to imola in 2014, and it's definitely not a modern f1 circuit. they're being used for leverege against monza the same way donington was against silverstone.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3659805)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some more information on the Italian GP saga from Joe Saward

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...-italian-gp-2/
Old 20 Jul 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3659836)   #19
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another view of what is going on http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...mola-and-monza

Sean
Old 20 Jul 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3659840)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
Another view of what is going on http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...mola-and-monza

Sean
Interesting, one can have great difficulty in trying to second guess Bernie at times. This one seams like a little more than trying to play Monza off against Imola but......
Old 21 Jul 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3659926)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
hungary has always been bernie's pet though. and like montreal, budapest is a superb city that everyone loves visiting.

the two are very similar though - hungary has a lot more space to play with in terms of car parking and places to put vips, but imola is smack bang in the middle of imola. in terms of locations it's like a much more compact monza. imola has a high speed train service but the nearest major airport is bologna...
The best one was Zandvoort, where you could just walk to the circuit from your hotel, to one of the greatest race tracks in the world
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3659936)   #22
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
anyone who knows bologna knows it's as major an airport as milan bergamo.
Exactly. Third rate airport. Few and poor hotels. Outdated and unimaginative track. Spectator facilities for about 200. Tiny paddock, smaller than Hungary. No way F1 is going there imo
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3659938)   #23
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The best one was Zandvoort, where you could just walk to the circuit from your hotel, to one of the greatest race tracks in the world
Or Monaco where the drivers can walk to the garages from their own apartments (or stomp back to them when things go wrong on the circuit ).

And Suzuka, where the hotel the drivers and teams use is situated inside the circuit perimeter, although there are no international airports in the vicinity, and Tokyo being an 8 hour drive away although other cities are nearer.

Mind you, South Korea's circuit was possibly the most remote (from a major international airport) of all, which was one of the main reasons why it was not popular.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3659939)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
there's loads of circuits like that with some hotels close by though - it's only the newer breed of circuits in rural areas and the uk that are the same for everyone.

honestly, it's the donington park-silverstone situation. bernie is playing someone off against someone else, be it circuit owners, local government or higher ups. i'm sure it'll end up at monza regardless with imola being given a consolation prize of some sort.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 14:45 (Ref:3659943)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post

Sean
thanks for sharing.

if this article is accurate it seems like a larger game is being played by BE. instead of the typical playing one circuit against another it sounds like he may be playing one circuit against several others in a hope to force a renegotiation of the commercial terms with the teams and with the sponsors.

this may be neither here nor there, but if the race number drops to 18 (imo already 21 is too many races anyways) and that results in less money coming into the sport (knock on effect being less money for teams, prizes etc) does that potentially mean F1 would have to operate on a smaller scale?

and if so then is that a bad thing?