Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Nov 2003, 01:39 (Ref:769810)   #276
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But given time surely a guy like McCrea could come to grips with that?
What has always puzzeled me is why a rally car is fastest over a tar road ,hanging its tail out etc but a road racer isn't???

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 1 Nov 2003, 02:17 (Ref:769832)   #277
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the rally roads they use are less structured than a race circuit.. it would be interesting to see how quick a Ford Focus WRC03 car would be relative to a Supercar on a particular circuit...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Nov 2003, 05:09 (Ref:769867)   #278
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing it vice versa would bring out the differences. Imagine a V8 Supercar going through the forests full chat.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 06:01 (Ref:769881)   #279
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But don't the Bates boys do a fair bit of behind the scenes set up stuff, and by all reports, are guns at what they do.

McCrash (Scottish relative of mine) did quite well in Ascar, and I think would have no dramas in V8s. Incredible skills like his would be transferable to just about anything...
Old 1 Nov 2003, 08:45 (Ref:769914)   #280
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
But given time surely a guy like McCrea could come to grips with that?
What has always puzzeled me is why a rally car is fastest over a tar road ,hanging its tail out etc but a road racer isn't???
I think that if you look at a tarmac WRC round, there isn't actually all that much sideways action. Only when a corner is really tight and the hand brake is used would a driver deliberately put the car sideways. I could be wrong though.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 09:03 (Ref:769924)   #281
pete55
Veteran

Cars behave a bit differently with All Wheel Drive.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 00:02 (Ref:771076)   #282
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Dave HRT Moy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
Modern race cars don't move around like they used to. That's why i'm not sure a recent rally car driver would not do as well now as they used to. When Colin Bond and George Fury used to race and rally the difference between the two classes wasn't as great as it is now.
I'd beg to differ........
Old 3 Nov 2003, 06:51 (Ref:771244)   #283
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden

HRT Skaife Kelly
KMR Murphy Kelly
PWR Bright Weel
DYN Wills Richards
CPR Richards Brabham? Longhurst?
PMM Morris Ritter?
GRM Tander McLean?
LRT McConville
TKR Baird

Ford

SBR Ambrose Ingall Winterbottom?
FPR Lowndes Seton Kelly?
888 Radisich International?
SER Ellery
BJR Jones Bowe
DJR Johnson Besnard?
LMS Larkham Bargwanna
TNR Noske
TMR Thexton

What do you reckon?
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 3 Nov 2003, 06:58 (Ref:771245)   #284
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is no 2nd PMM car planned for 2004, although I am sure it would be competitive and handy for the team to have double the feedback.

Having said that, when the Morrises whip TEGA's behind in court, and get another franchise slot in their upgrade to Level 1, I am not sure who it will be leased to.

Same problem for the Ellery's should they also pursue the same activities on the coattails of the Morrises...
Old 3 Nov 2003, 09:12 (Ref:771315)   #285
pete55
Veteran

Dave, you beg to differ, what do you mean by that. Just a small explanation please.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 10:15 (Ref:771342)   #286
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So you people don't see a spot for Max Wilson in 2004? I think it would be quite sad for the series if this were the case. I reckon he's done a good job this year with dud machinery.

Also, will McConville ever get out of LRT and into a competitive ride?
Old 3 Nov 2003, 10:15 (Ref:771343)   #287
pete55
Veteran

Look to see Alex Yoong definately in a V8 Supercar next year, probably in Konica and possibly in a Ford. Possibly Clayton Pyne will also run in Konica next year too.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 12:05 (Ref:771421)   #288
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete,

Nice one about Alex in Konica.

There are a few (yes more than one) of options for Alex to come to Australia next year. None of those are Konica at this stage. We are trying to put some things together but it is a highly competitive drivers market out there at the moment.

Dont forget he has a F1 option still open to him an is working to put that to bed as well. Porsche have also asked him to do the Asian Carrera Cup race at Macau the week before the 24hour as well. All bodes well for him to return back to full time driving (in maybe more than one series) next year.

I think after we give him a little time to get used to the extremely intimidating Bathurst circuit many will be impressed by his abilities.

If it comes together for Alex to drive a supercar next year it is possible that it will be a Ford. We have narrowed the options down to that or a Holden (LOL).

On Clayton I heard the same thing (probably from the same source) but still think you will see him running in FF for 2004.

Also from the files of the Hunter based driving stock also keep an eye out for Biland Challenge winner Kiel Johnston dipping his toe in the FF world and Lee Harkness in Aussie's and Saloon cars. It sure is a busy time of year.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 14:13 (Ref:771600)   #289
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luff confirmed for DJR KONICA car!?
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 3 Nov 2003, 18:04 (Ref:771840)   #290
pete55
Veteran

Keil Johnston ran in the Daewoo series did he not? Wondered what had happened to him.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 20:47 (Ref:772023)   #291
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
So you people don't see a spot for Max Wilson in 2004? I think it would be quite sad for the series if this were the case. I reckon he's done a good job this year with dud machinery.

He may not be with LRT
Old 3 Nov 2003, 21:23 (Ref:772060)   #292
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac

He may not be with LRT
Old 3 Nov 2003, 22:12 (Ref:772105)   #293
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
McConville has a contract, so unless he has a bag of dosh to buy it out, will be at LRT for 2004.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 09:36 (Ref:772456)   #294
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One Thing is certain, the teams and some of us are having a real good laugh at what some of you have written in this thread. I just hope ANOTHER sponsor doesnt read stuff then crack the poops and walk... its already happened at least once recently.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 10:05 (Ref:772486)   #295
The Tool Man
Veteran

OH and by the way, Ive heard that one driver mentioned here, a farmer from Wamuran is staying with his current team.
Despite the rumors to the contrary. Thought my source is probably wrong.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 10:17 (Ref:772498)   #296
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh , your still here.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 4 Nov 2003, 10:21 (Ref:772501)   #297
The Tool Man
Veteran

Yep MtP had a real bad one the other night as you may have gathered - apologies to all and have decided that I wont let certain people get the better of me on the forums, thats what I have lawyers for.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 11:01 (Ref:772541)   #298
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mc Conville will be at LRT in 04, but doubt if he will be there in 05.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 11:29 (Ref:772559)   #299
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by The Tool Man
One Thing is certain, the teams and some of us are having a real good laugh at what some of you have written in this thread. I just hope ANOTHER sponsor doesnt read stuff then crack the poops and walk... its already happened at least once recently.
Well there is apparently a recently signed platform sponsor who wants to have a few people at #10 tarred and feathered... but I am not sure what they were expecting either.

If a team/sponsor/driver is naive enough to spread the word of their commercial dealings through their own people, who it must be said leak more than the Titanic after hitting the iceberg, then if that information ends up here, or that other place, or whereever, the blame should not necessarily end up here on the forum, or its contributors.

Look at the Brock/Betta announcement, only a few people knew it was happening in the background, on a totally need-to-know basis, and voila, no leaks until the unveiling.

When you manage your sponsor relations on the basis of cubic feet of media coverage, and expect it all to be positive, then I am not sure who is the most deluded, the people like me who play in here for fun, or the people who write/receive/spend the vast sums of money required to keep the sport alive....
Old 4 Nov 2003, 23:41 (Ref:773274)   #300
greencardy
Rookie

greencardy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Tool Man
If a sponsor uses what a bunch of people said on an internet forum as a reason to leave the sport, then they probably didn't have their heart in it and would have found any excuse to leave.