Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2943673)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Scott you have too much time on your hands...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2943691)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Absolutely !
Old 21 Aug 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2943705)   #28
christcc2
Rookie

christcc2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all need some donuts on a Sunday morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gmu...&feature=share
Old 21 Aug 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2943707)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Very nice
Old 21 Aug 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2943714)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I did not know about this, of course I was in hospital over the last few days, that might have had something to do with it...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2943888)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I did not know about this, of course I was in hospital over the last few days, that might have had something to do with it...
You OK bud?

Having spent a few weeks in there myself, quite recently, I know just how boring it can be. Particularly when the internet service is slower than a tortoise with a wooden leg.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2943889)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Scott nothing major, just a slight problem with my heart..
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2943891)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your big heart, I have to say...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2943892)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Your big heart, I have to say...
Thank you what a nice person you are Bononi..

Come to Austin and we will have lot's of fun..
Old 22 Aug 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2943895)   #35
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Somebody somewhere sometime said that Ferrari have a huge fan base in the US. I wonder...
Based on my experience attending the race in Montreal 10 times, I would say that Ferrari is overwhelmingly the favorite team of US fans (and probably Canadians too) who attend that race. Ferrari probably sells as many shirts and hats and other team souvenirs in Montreal as all the other teams combined.

I think Ferrari will attract a lot of fans in Austin too, because of its tradition, glamour and long record in F1. Ferrari is the New York Yankees or Dallas Cowboys or ManU of F1. It's the team people root for when they don't have a connection to another team because of a favorite driver or some other connection.

On the other hand, if Red Bull keeps winning, some young fans might gravitate to that team because it wins and because it's a popular brand with young people.

Apart from hardcore fans, most Americans don't get excited about names like Renault, McLaren and Lotus. Mercedes would be popular if they could start winning.

But the best thing that could happen to the Austin F1 race would be for some American to miraculously emerge as a leading F1 driver, which doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. But if it did, ordinary Americans would take an interest in the sport, just as they took a sudden interest in bicycle racing when Lance Armstrong started winning the Tour de France.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2943897)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Good post thank you for that Bob, I think it will be okay without an American driver in the short term, but for continued interest for the future I think you are right, and I would like to see a young charger from the USA compete..
Old 22 Aug 2011, 01:46 (Ref:2943910)   #37
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Why is everyone disliking the idea of this race and think it will fail? I think it will be a huge sucess, you guys have got to stop stereotyping Texas. What some people fail to realize is that people who like cars respect F1 and most of the time watch it. It's the 21st centuray guys, the people of Texas aren't "rednecks", they're car guys and motorsport enthusiats as well. I suspect they have a huge crowd with people from all over the Untied States and Mexico going to the race. And even some people from around the globe going to check out this great new track. If it looks as good as it does on the renderings, it'll be sweet!

Oh yeah I forgot to add, the track won't be built in time
Old 22 Aug 2011, 02:22 (Ref:2943915)   #38
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
I Why is everyone disliking the idea of this race and think it will fail? I think it will be a huge sucess, you guys have got to stop stereotyping Texas. What some people fail to realize is that people who like cars respect F1 and most of the time watch it. It's the 21st centuray guys, the people of Texas aren't "rednecks", they're car guys and motorsport enthusiats as well. I suspect they have a huge crowd with people from all over the Untied States and Mexico going to the race. And even some people from around the globe going to check out this great new track. If it looks as good as it does on the renderings, it'll be sweet!

Why do they dislike it and think it will fail?

I suspect a lot of it stems from the very American principle of government distrust and a tendency to both dislike and doubt anything that has government involvement. Not saying that's specifically people here or trying to be accusatory or saying it's wrong to feel that way or believe that, but I do think that, in general, I have perceived that notion.

Perhaps it's even clouded how I see it.

I guess it depends on the definition of success. Economically viable? I'm far from an expert, but I have my doubts.

Do I think they'll get a good crowd if the show goes on? Honestly, yes. The races at Indy were well-attended until 2005, with the 2000 event estimated to be the best of the modern era (though if you had as many seats at Silverstone as you have at Indy...). If it has a "big event" feel to it, people will come, and to many in America, the USGP will be the "big event" on the F1 calendar and one worth caring about that's better and bigger and more spectacular than all the others.

One worry I do have: television. You're not getting a race on FOX in NFL season, and you'd think the USGP would be the one they'd want on network (meaning everyone with a TV gets the channel) to generate more interest in the event and the sport. Not saying SPEED's a bad place to be, but the ratings and exposure are higher on FOX.

I believe, off the top of my head, the FOX races score around a .8 or .9 (similar to IndyCar on ABC). The SPEED ones are usually closer to a .3 or .4, but are at worse times (mornings). I'd be curious to see a number on Brazil, which is live in the afternoon on SPEED. The best-rated I can recall, was the 2002 Monaco Grand Prix, which aired on ABC tape-delayed right after the Indianapolis 500. I think it was a 2.2 or maybe a 1.2, I can't really remember but it was certainly huge for them...

...which makes me wonder if they could run the race a bit later. If FOX doesn't have a late afternoon game (a 4:15), the race could run then, air on FOX right after the conclusion of the early game, meaning a lot of people will be tuned in to FOX when it starts so if you can grab them... But then it's no longer on in primetime in Europe. Or do they not care about European figures (the TV ones, not the women. I'm sure the European figure is much more popular than the American one...) anymore? I can never remember which currency is the priority is with Bernie.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2943923)   #39
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Why do they dislike it and think it will fail?

I suspect a lot of it stems from the very American principle of government distrust and a tendency to both dislike and doubt anything that has government involvement. Not saying that's specifically people here or trying to be accusatory or saying it's wrong to feel that way or believe that, but I do think that, in general, I have perceived that notion.

Perhaps it's even clouded how I see it.

I guess it depends on the definition of success. Economically viable? I'm far from an expert, but I have my doubts.

Do I think they'll get a good crowd if the show goes on? Honestly, yes. The races at Indy were well-attended until 2005, with the 2000 event estimated to be the best of the modern era (though if you had as many seats at Silverstone as you have at Indy...). If it has a "big event" feel to it, people will come, and to many in America, the USGP will be the "big event" on the F1 calendar and one worth caring about that's better and bigger and more spectacular than all the others.

One worry I do have: television. You're not getting a race on FOX in NFL season, and you'd think the USGP would be the one they'd want on network (meaning everyone with a TV gets the channel) to generate more interest in the event and the sport. Not saying SPEED's a bad place to be, but the ratings and exposure are higher on FOX.

I believe, off the top of my head, the FOX races score around a .8 or .9 (similar to IndyCar on ABC). The SPEED ones are usually closer to a .3 or .4, but are at worse times (mornings). I'd be curious to see a number on Brazil, which is live in the afternoon on SPEED. The best-rated I can recall, was the 2002 Monaco Grand Prix, which aired on ABC tape-delayed right after the Indianapolis 500. I think it was a 2.2 or maybe a 1.2, I can't really remember but it was certainly huge for them...

...which makes me wonder if they could run the race a bit later. If FOX doesn't have a late afternoon game (a 4:15), the race could run then, air on FOX right after the conclusion of the early game, meaning a lot of people will be tuned in to FOX when it starts so if you can grab them... But then it's no longer on in primetime in Europe. Or do they not care about European figures (the TV ones, not the women. I'm sure the European figure is much more popular than the American one...) anymore? I can never remember which currency is the priority is with Bernie.
Thanks for the reply.

As for TV ratings I suspect they be pretty high if one FOX but quite high also if on SPEED, as the peole waiting for the NASCAR race or watever may watch a bit before the race starts or ends.

But like everywhere else in the world some guys with half a brain cell chasing around a ball comes in first to the TV channels
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:17 (Ref:2943934)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Scott nothing major, just a slight problem with my heart..
Nothing too serious I hope; I was born with a VSD, so I empathise.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:22 (Ref:2943937)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I think the dislike comes from the fee to Bernie, F1 politics and the location, otherwise a GP in the US will be a good thing and let's give it a chance; open wheel in the US needs a big push and hopefully this will help.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:33 (Ref:2943941)   #42
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think the dislike comes from the fee to Bernie, F1 politics and the location, otherwise a GP in the US will be a good thing and let's give it a chance; open wheel in the US needs a big push and hopefully this will help.
Yeah well F1 is now run like that, i don't mind the loaction, I expect a great crowd, the only thing i'm worried about is the track being built in time, if it does, i'll be happy. Just glad to see some gravel traps and grass at the track.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2943944)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yeah well F1 is now run like that, i don't mind the loaction, I expect a great crowd, the only thing i'm worried about is the track being built in time, if it does, i'll be happy. Just glad to see some gravel traps and grass at the track.
Too true. We'll just have to see about the track completion.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2944081)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

And that will be no problem.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2944133)   #45
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I realize TV exposure is key but there is more to F1 than the race. For a casual or disinterested fan, the more you are exposed to the more you may want to learn. One of the biggest blunders F1 could make with the resurrection of any USGP is to let FOX or a network butcher the broadcast with a lights to checkers do-or-die two hour time slot like they employ when given the broadcast rights.

You just can't thrust a completely foreign spectacle in the face of US sports fans and expect them to feel the passion, especially when the remaining 90% of the spectacle takes place in the wee hours a world away and gets ZERO press coverage when it does. The disinterested US fan base should be exposed to the entire F1 spectacle including a 30 minute pre-race show, podium ceremony and post race interviews.

Help the uninitiated to understand the nuances of the sport, teams and where things stand with a half hour pre-race show. Let them get to know the drivers, (albeit probably the same three or four ) by showing the podium & post race interviews and DON'T dare consider any type of broadcast delay to get it on a major network; the cat will be out of the bag on US news outlets long before the race is shown.

F1 doesn't have to become NASCAR to capture some interest in the US and hopefully it never will. It will have to succeed or fail on its own merits, (or lack thereof) without a US team, driver, Ferrari sales or a perfect venue.

How success in this latest attempt is measured remains to be seen.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2944137)   #46
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Good post Mr Spritle !

I agree 100% with you..

We have created a rating system in this new USGP thread..
Old 22 Aug 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2944211)   #47
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DC does Austin.

Apparently, 18,000 Mexicans want to come up from Mexico to see the race. No kidding!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/13...emo-in-austin/
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2944247)   #48
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
DC does Austin.

Apparently, 18,000 Mexicans want to come up from Mexico to see the race. No kidding!
No problem, they can hitch a ride with the other 18,000 that cross the boarder illegally!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2944341)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
No problem, they can hitch a ride with the other 18,000 that cross the boarder illegally!
Wow...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2944473)   #50
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as Usual . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Help the uninitiated to understand the nuances of the sport, teams and where things stand with a half hour pre-race show.
This is quite common on SPEED (in the US) at the present time.