Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Mar 2000, 10:12 (Ref:14524)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard for the new season Donington have considerably increased the spectator banking at both McLeans and Coppice.

There is also a new infield viewing area for the start of the straight just after Coppice.

Has anyone been yet this season - is it much of an improvement?
Old 31 Mar 2000, 18:06 (Ref:14525)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When we went to the Donington Collection the other week we also went into the circuit to watch the racing and ended up on the outside of the old hairpin. From there the new infield banking certainly looks quite a considerable bank. Can't comment on what it does for the viewing as we didn't get that far.
If anyone can tell us those details can be added to the circuit guide
Old 17 Apr 2000, 12:14 (Ref:14526)   #3
Andy H
Racer

Just a quick reminder with the BTCC at Donington shortly.....

I won't be there myself but anyone who is don't forget to have a look at the improvements and make a post to the circuit guide with an update.

Many Thanks
Andy
Old 10 May 2000, 15:22 (Ref:14527)   #4
Andy H
Racer

For those brave (or foolish) enough to visit Donington after the British GP how was it folks?
Old 10 May 2000, 18:51 (Ref:14528)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got to admit we've been twice since the British GP and neither time have we managed to get far enough round the circuit to look at the alterations. One thing worth noting (and which I will add to the guide) is that when we went to the Powertour the bar / Cafe at Starkeys wasn't open, nor were there any catering facilities provided round that part of the circuit.
Old 23 May 2000, 14:02 (Ref:14529)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having scaled the north face of the new banking on the inside of Coppice, I might be able to offer some thoughts.

The banking is extensive and runs virtually the full length of the straight from Coppice to the chicane, broken only at the Dunlop bridge. The view from the Coppice end is pretty good as you see cars / bikes come up Swantz Curve and then there is a virtually uninterrupted view round Macleans, Coppice and down the straight. So you get a good impression of speed down the straight. You can also look over towards the Kraners and Old Hairpin.

My one complaint is an aesthetic one, in that for understandably practical reasons the banking is made of ashpalt / hard core. And whilst this does mean that the banking will remain where it should do, and not float away in a tide of mud, it does look like the surface of the moon when you're stood on it. so therefore the 'green and pleasant' look of that part of the circuit has gone.

I think that the spectator area on the other side of the track (from the outside of Coppive to the Dunlop Bridge)has now gone.

On the outside of Macleans there is also more asphalt banking (may be they could paint it green) and although it's ok from a spectating point, it's not good for the photographer as the new gravel traps have pushed the catch fence back. This means that you can't get the height to shoot over the fence to Swantz and the entry to Macleans, as you could previously.

But overall it's an improvement (and I should be at DP over the weekend for the Palmer Audi etc)
Old 23 May 2000, 18:04 (Ref:14530)   #7
Carrie
Veteran

Thanks for the info, looks like I can get round to updating the circuit guide now