Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Jun 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3086452)   #551
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Both Oreca and Joest had a Le Mans team ready when they joined up with Toyota and Audi.
If Penske where to put a team together to be able to support Porsche, then Porsche could just as well put it together themselves.
The whole idea of teaming up with a team is to cut a corner and get some quick experience into the project.

For this, Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices
Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices than Penske? Really? I can't tell if you are making a joke or being serious with this.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3086456)   #552
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices than Penske? Really? I can't tell if you are making a joke or being serious with this.
hahahaha.

I can predict this...

Pescarolo Porsche- Henri decides to repossess the P1 Porsches in court and they sit in an abandoned lot during the LM24 weekend.

Rebellion Porsche- Porsche gets rebranded as a Lotus...

Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3086457)   #553
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I'm serious.

What does Penske have to offer Porsche?

Penske have zero Le Mans experince.
Penske is running big efforts in both Nascar and Indy-Car.
Penske needs to hire a team to run the cars. (People Porsche could hire themselves)

The only thing i can see Penske offering Porsche is management and sponsors.

Pescarolo and Rebellion both got:
Years of Le Mans experience.
100% on Le Mans
An already established team ready to go.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3086462)   #554
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pescarolo is out of the question for a team like Porsche. He might as well be scott tucker in there eyes.

Penske do have endurance racing experience including overall victory at the 12 hours of Sebring(almost petit) and alms championships.

Roger Penske wants to win Le Mans in his lifetime. And he had a magical relationship with Porsche a few years back. Its not so outlandish that if Penske wanted to be involved or if Porsche was looking for a Partner they would choose Penske.

That being said if Porsche dont choose a partner then theres nothing to discuss.

But IF they go looking they will probably first ask Roger Penske. Its up to him to turn them down.

Last edited by Articus; 6 Jun 2012 at 19:18.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3086467)   #555
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All of Henri's troubles have been down to a lack of funding, which would not be an issue with a major manufacturer behind him.

Henri has years of experience. Years. He is Mr Le Mans. Despite his teams being on the brink of financial melt-down, he consistently puts his team as "best of the rest".

If you don't recognise Pescarolo as one of the best set-ups on the grid, then you grossly misunderestimate them and you don't fully appreciate what Henri does. However, this will be the thinking of a major manufacturer like Porsche and why Henri will never get the gig. Unfortunately.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3086484)   #556
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I specifically remember Roger Penske saying he has no interest in Le Mans unless an overall win was possible, and now it will be in 2014. I think his team is a real possibility in the future especially considering the success of the RS Spyder in ALMS. This however like most things here is speculation.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3086492)   #557
Articus
Veteran

What we need is rule stability. That will do Privateer wallets a favor...Rebellion has to find a new car for 2014.And if Lola goes bottoms up...its really up to the other manufacturers. it would nice to see privateer Audis, Toyota's etc.the problem is they are all so darn secretive about there technology.They act like its the Cold war or like Audi has some kind of enigma machine.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3086494)   #558
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche917K View Post
I specifically remember Roger Penske saying he has no interest in Le Mans unless an overall win was possible, and now it will be in 2014. I think his team is a real possibility in the future especially considering the success of the RS Spyder in ALMS. This however like most things here is speculation.
I remember this interview. They were talking about the possibility of the return of Penske Racing in Le Mans with its unbeatable Porsche RS Spyder. Roger said his interest was to win Le Mans overall, not only in LMP2 class. It would be a real event to see Penske Racing back in LM, expecially with a Porsche! If Joest and Audi will continue to race in LM notwithstanding Porsche return, Penske would be an ideal choice for german manufacturer to line up its new LMP1. Penske has shown to work very well with Porsche, the team has been really competitive in LMP2, facing and defeating Audi several times. I would be glad to see Porsche and Penske to win in Le Mans, the overall standing. It would be a giant battle between Penske/Porsche and Joest/Audi... but I think Audi will not of the match. I'm not sure VAG would risk Audi Sport's image in a fratricide fight against Porsche. For sure, it would be interesting!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3086509)   #559
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
I remember this interview.
This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...nZ0SYYI#t=208s
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3086514)   #560
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, remember the great Silk Cut v Shell battle of 1988? Wow.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3086526)   #561
Articus
Veteran

It would be very interesting to see Audi and Porsche compete.
Most bystanders do not know or give two hoots about what VolkwagenAG is. they dont know that Audi and Porsche are basically cousins.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3086598)   #562
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would ART or DAMS be suitable? They have been peerless in GP2 and have have shown interest in endurance racing. DAMS ran a P2 Pescarolo with sub-par drivers to a good result at Petit Le Mans last year and headquarters in Le Mans can't hurt. ART's endurance programme may be laughable with their McLaren GT3 car, but that should be a valuable learning experience. Remember, ART was supposedly going to be granted an F1 entry to replace Toyota until they withdrew their application due to lack of funding. If ART were confident they could run an F1 programme then they should be capable of running the Porsche team.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3086734)   #563
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Would ART or DAMS be suitable? They have been peerless in GP2 and have have shown interest in endurance racing. DAMS ran a P2 Pescarolo with sub-par drivers to a good result at Petit Le Mans last year and headquarters in Le Mans can't hurt. ART's endurance programme may be laughable with their McLaren GT3 car, but that should be a valuable learning experience. Remember, ART was supposedly going to be granted an F1 entry to replace Toyota until they withdrew their application due to lack of funding. If ART were confident they could run an F1 programme then they should be capable of running the Porsche team.

To win in Le Mans, you need a well experienced team. You need to know very well a race as hard and complex as Le Mans. You need to know the opponents.
If your name is Porsche, you are the most winning manufacturer in endurance history, you have achieved thousands of records at Le Mans... so you can't risk your name letting a new comer in LMP1 class manage your cars as main team!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 7 Jun 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3086786)   #564
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder when the next official announcement will be about the programme?

RLM have been having an interesting back and forth about Dumas/Bernhard regarding their Audi careers. Obviously Timo is ruled out of LM, but they feel it will be the last time we see Romain in an Audi.

Dumas is leading the WEC right now but Audi would surely prefer one of their current drivers to take the title heading into next year - rather than a guy who is off to go test the Porsche.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3086829)   #565
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well if Porsche are going to engage Penske in their programme, they'd better open their wallet because The Captain doesnt pay to race, people pay him, thats what happened with the Spyder.

Would be a worthwhile investment though.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3086832)   #566
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Surely Porsche may well run the 2014 car in-house? That's the way they ran the 911 GT1 and GT1-98.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3086834)   #567
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I suspect it will be run in-house.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3086841)   #568
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Surely Porsche may well run the 2014 car in-house? That's the way they ran the 911 GT1 and GT1-98.
I think this would be the most likely scenario.

Im sure they'll let privateers race them like they did with the GT1, maybe not at first but maybe in the second year. Except for maybe someone like Penske in ALMS. Apart from the Hybrid for obvious reasons, I cannot think of a Porsche racecar that hasnt been sold to privateers. It would help with the costs of the program also.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3086845)   #569
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
One more thing about the Porsche vs. Audi issue. I see no reason why they won't race each other. Porsche winning a race doesn't help Audi sell cars, and vice-versa. What does improve the brand image is Porsche and Audi winning races which are competitive.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3086897)   #570
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
To win in Le Mans, you need a well experienced team. You need to know very well a race as hard and complex as Le Mans. You need to know the opponents.
If your name is Porsche, you are the most winning manufacturer in endurance history, you have achieved thousands of records at Le Mans... so you can't risk your name letting a new comer in LMP1 class manage your cars as main team!
I think we will have to conclude that Porsche will run the team themselves then, picking up the best talent they can find. With Joest and Oreca taken there are not many options for outsourcing. A single-seater one make series could never prepare a team as preparation consists mostly of finding a good set-up, not developing a car as well as the general lack of experience in strategy. DAMS and ART would not be appropriate, and neither would Penske.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3086914)   #571
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
I think we will have to conclude that Porsche will run the team themselves then, picking up the best talent they can find. With Joest and Oreca taken there are not many options for outsourcing. A single-seater one make series could never prepare a team as preparation consists mostly of finding a good set-up, not developing a car as well as the general lack of experience in strategy. DAMS and ART would not be appropriate, and neither would Penske.
But Penske has done it before with the RS Spyder....
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3086918)   #572
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Spyder was PMNA's brainchild, though, so it was logical to go with an American team. With the 2014-LMP being a AG-project, it seems much more likely to me that they'll run it out of Weissach.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3086923)   #573
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
penske was assisted by porsche tech personell and porsche official drivers... is hard to determinate how much was porsche and how much was penske effort. Dyson had the same car but wasn't supported and "strangely" didn't obtain the same results.
Penske is a winning team, a winning AMERICAN team... expert in american motorsport like indycar and nascar; 0 experience at le mans, 0 experience in more professional european racing attitude. Is an insanity to use them as work team of porsche... maybe they can hope to be inserted in some customer program.
In my opinion will be the internal personell of porsche AG to form the official/work team, like they did during 911 GT1 years.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3086925)   #574
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Penske team in 2015 for ALMS (if it's still under ACO regs) would be my hope/bet. Maybe also a trip across the pond. That would be my preferred scenario with the works team run out of Weissach.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3086930)   #575
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Penske team in 2015 for ALMS (if it's still under ACO regs) would be my hope/bet. Maybe also a trip across the pond. That would be my preferred scenario with the works team run out of Weissach.
if still will exist in 2015 the alms... the patron sponsorship will end this year or next!
In ALMS for a manufacter is more usefull to support a team in GT class than a team in a decadent and dying class like lmp