Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Sep 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3141369)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Petit Le Mans 2012-Road Atlanta Oct 17-20

Who is going to perhaps the last PLM ever? Well, last year was the last real one for sometime, but let's not delve into the negatives or the future of sportscars in NA.

We will be camping in turn 4 as standards. I will post a picture of our camp here in a little bit, but we are usually just behind a large tree inside of turn 4/infield access road (in between the turn 3 flag stand and the "esses" flag stand; closer to T3). At least three flag poles are usually involved in the setup.

It has the possibility of being pretty cool this year, but then again, this is Georgia and it could be hot, and it could be cold AND hot. Who knows...

All politics aside, I am going to thoroughly enjoy this trip, and hope this is merely a "new beginning". I'll post some links in a little while...I am also going to randomly post some "PLM" memories as I lead up to track arrival. I'd like to hear/see of some others too.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3141383)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of our earlier trips. 2002, I think?

Things have changed....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01141.JPG  
Old 25 Sep 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3141412)   #3
Chau
Rookie

United States
Philadelphia
Chau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there with my brothers again this year. We've been at Turn 10a 10b for the last 2 years.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3141446)   #4
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Returning once again. Was really close to you last year Jeremy when I worked T4 but I´m not sure if we met. Did say hello to the Drinking for Holland gang, you must have right next to them?

Probably will be at T10/11 this year - as it could be very well the last Petit, I just thought it would make sense for me to finish in the same spot as where I started 12 years ago.

Looking at the schedule, it´s less busy than previous years - less support acts - so I´m sure I can make a visit to the turn 3/4 side and have a chat.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3141503)   #5
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Will be attending this year but coming stag lol. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you!
Old 25 Sep 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3141549)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Returning once again. Was really close to you last year Jeremy when I worked T4 but I´m not sure if we met. Did say hello to the Drinking for Holland gang, you must have right next to them?

Probably will be at T10/11 this year - as it could be very well the last Petit, I just thought it would make sense for me to finish in the same spot as where I started 12 years ago.

Looking at the schedule, it´s less busy than previous years - less support acts - so I´m sure I can make a visit to the turn 3/4 side and have a chat.
Let's make sure of it, Coach. Drinking for Holland gang sounds familiar!

We literally got "stuck" in T4 as the crowd was so dense, efforts to move around after a certain time of the day were fruitless.

The schedule looks pretty damn depressing as well, with the complete lack of a good "undercard". All due respect to Star Mazda and IMSA Lites, they just don't do it for me between ALMS sessions...Oh well.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3141551)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Will be attending this year but coming stag lol. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you!
Perhaps some of my fellow T4 gang and 10ths posters can provide some pics of recent campsite...Mine appeared to be buried somewhere, but certainly come by and say hello, seanyb. Plenty of lag time between sessions...
Old 25 Sep 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3141630)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My goal is to be up there Wed morning, too much work to head up tues night and figure it won't be as crowded so I can get close to the usual T4 the spot Wed morning. Keeping the fingers crossed the other tech doesn't quit and kill my vacation, or he might be flogged for his transgression.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3141673)   #9
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be there all 4 days, 6th in a row and can't wait! Today is the day I usually fly out but the later race date is killing me. I will be in a hotel in Commerce but have friends in an RV at the turn 10 complex.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3141767)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
broad, Canada. Canada, broad.

broad is our "Scout" for the prime spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
My goal is to be up there Wed morning, too much work to head up tues night and figure it won't be as crowded so I can get close to the usual T4 the spot Wed morning. Keeping the fingers crossed the other tech doesn't quit and kill my vacation, or he might be flogged for his transgression.
Steer clear of all "Techs" I say...
Old 26 Sep 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3141768)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I will be there all 4 days, 6th in a row and can't wait! Today is the day I usually fly out but the later race date is killing me. I will be in a hotel in Commerce but have friends in an RV at the turn 10 complex.
Mmmmmm...Commerce. God' Country.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3141772)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
broad, Canada. Canada, broad.

broad is our "Scout" for the prime spot...

Steer clear of all "Techs" I say...
Especially as this spray tech would hate being called a Techie of any kind, UGA Hort guy so I think that would be fighting words.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 02:42 (Ref:3141783)   #13
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our Team, "Your Favorite Driver Sucks" will be there starting on Wednesday. We, the outcast from the Crapwagon days, (screw you Matt and Marissa), have our own little group of aboot 100 active who attend races from LeMans to Spa in locations all over the world. "We Go To Races" Or our other saying, "The Sun Never Never Sets on YFDS" is our own. We will be down to maybe 12 - 16 this year (blame it on College Football and competitive BBQ). Behind vendor village in the green area along the road. Banner and Flags will let you know WE are there. And the smell of awesome eats that we come up.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 03:01 (Ref:3141785)   #14
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is where i'll be. as i am every year:

Old 26 Sep 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3142008)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
this is where i'll be. as i am every year:

Great "seats". Awesome, Scotty. If I am by that way, I'll stop by and say hello.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3142220)   #16
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
Quote:
Great "seats". Awesome, Scotty. If I am by that way, I'll stop by and say hello.
Buckhead Motorworks sets up a huge outdoor movie screen and sound system right there and they show racign movies like Truth in 24 (part 1 & 2 this year I would imagine) and race road atlanta on Forza 4 on Friday night.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3142688)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I will be up there Wednesday morning as well. I bought an old pop up camper that I'm gonna drag over there somehow. I'm going to try and grab all the tents and whatnot from everyone to save space... I believe its just you and me until Thursday.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3142692)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Who is going to perhaps the last PLM ever? Well, last year was the last real one for sometime, but let's not delve into the negatives or the future of sportscars in NA.

We will be camping in turn 4 as standards. I will post a picture of our camp here in a little bit, but we are usually just behind a large tree inside of turn 4/infield access road (in between the turn 3 flag stand and the "esses" flag stand; closer to T3). At least three flag poles are usually involved in the setup.

It has the possibility of being pretty cool this year, but then again, this is Georgia and it could be hot, and it could be cold AND hot. Who knows...

All politics aside, I am going to thoroughly enjoy this trip, and hope this is merely a "new beginning". I'll post some links in a little while...I am also going to randomly post some "PLM" memories as I lead up to track arrival. I'd like to hear/see of some others too.
It's going to be cold by our standards. Fire wood will be a hot commodity. This is the only pic I have of last year on my work PC. Respect the pile.

Old 27 Sep 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3142709)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Respect the pile.
Respect it!

I had to dig, after three computers over the last year, I found one. Besides the pile by Friday (or whenever Firball shows), look for these flags amongst an old school Pop up and a cluster of tents.
Attached Thumbnails
P9301172.jpg  
Old 28 Sep 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3142783)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
And we will have one more this year too, if anyone brings extra flags. Have rings for two flags on the new pole, hoping to finally find an ESM flag somewhere though
Old 28 Sep 2012, 02:25 (Ref:3142808)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I got a few random ones I can bring. I think Firball will be there Thursday.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3143952)   #22
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the underrated spots at Road Atlanta that I found is right by the fence by the grandstands on the front straight (on the extra pit side).

You can see the cars dive down turn 12, fly down the front straight away from you and enter turn 1. The cars will briefly disappear behind some trailers and merchandise stands and then almost instantly reappear carrying massive amounts of speed up the huge turn 1 hill before they disappear again.

You can really get a sensation of the speed the cars carry even though they are going away from you and aren't really close to you.

Last edited by gregtummer; 30 Sep 2012 at 01:27.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3144003)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
One of the underrated spots at Road Atlanta that I found is right by the fence by the grandstands on the front straight (on the extra pit side).

You can see the cars dive down turn 12, fly down the front straight away from you and enter turn 1. The cars will briefly disappear behind some trailers and merchandise stands and then almost instantly reappear carrying massive amounts of speed up the huge turn 1 hill before they disappear again.

You can really get a sensation of the speed the cars carry even though they are going away from you and aren't really close to you.
When World Challenge used to come that's where I'd like to watch them. You could watch the cars roll out and then the standing start.

The best place, IMO, to get a sense of speed is on top of the hill over the paddock and T1. I usually spend quite a bit of time up there during night practice... as a matter of fact, I look forward to that all year.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3144307)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
There is honestly not a bad seat in the house, IMO.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3144326)   #25
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
the braking zone into 10a is always good at night.
track is pretty dark and all you see are the rotors lighting up