Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:46 (Ref:44684)   #1
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got this off the Autosport website;

Quote:
Finn Kimi Raikkonen will move up to Formula 1 next season with just 23 car races under his belt, according to this week’s Autosport magazine.

The British Formula Renault champion has twice tested for the Swiss-based squad and is expected to sign a contract this week. Sauber’s recruitment of Raikkonen to partner former Prost driver Nick Heidfeld in 2001 will leave the team’s Brazilian test driver Enrique Bernoldi out in the cold.

Team boss Peter Sauber said: “There are several aspects why we very strongly believe that Raikkonen is the right man for us. First of all his very professional approach towards his work and his astonishing maturity considering his age.

“Even more impressive is his natural speed,” he added. “He seems to crank out fast lap times effortlessly. In comparison with other drivers, we never got the impression that he reached his limits. We still have to find out how fast he can go!”

The 21-year-old does not qualify for an F1 superlicence by dint of results, but is expected to be granted one by the FIA, the sport’s governing body, based on his testing pace.

Raikkonen joins a growing list of current F1 drivers who have graduated from karts then jumped to the sport’s highest level with minimum single-seater experience. But unlike Jenson Button, Jos Verstappen and Jarno Trulli, the Finn will make the leap without first undertaking a season in Formula 3.

“This is a great opportunity for me,” said Raikkonen. “I actually found driving the F1 car was quite easy – much easier than getting back in a Formula Renault car afterwards.”

So, do we think he's up to it?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 12:08 (Ref:44700)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until this year I'd never seen Button race (except in a Cart Video that aslo stared Fanchetti as a youngster) so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. Another Button?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 14:10 (Ref:44721)   #3
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he probably won't have as good car as Jenson had, but I think he will race head to head with Heidfeld. As what I've heard he has also been quicker than Pizzonia in F3 test.
Many here in Finland consider he being better than Häkä in same stage.
BTW Kimi is older than Jenson...

I look forward to first wet race!!

http://www.racecar.co.uk/kimi/
Old 25 Oct 2000, 23:58 (Ref:44831)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
all for it, go kimi - just drive fast son!
Old 26 Oct 2000, 01:59 (Ref:44876)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suomi produces another talent. I hope he takes his steps slowly waits for the chance. As good as Button has proven to be, I think that his experience will prove to have been an aberation. Raikkonen needs time to mature. He is still young.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 09:23 (Ref:44893)   #6
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber takes a risk by hiring two unexperied boys. I don't believe that Kimi could something to learn after Hiedfield. It's bad chance for both drivers, because they still need somebody to teach them.
Old 3 Nov 2000, 18:00 (Ref:46579)   #7
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good season in European Karts (F.Super A) is as competive as F.Ford any day. Look at Trulli, Button & soon Pantano-Alonso, Karts to F1 in 25 races! Alonso only did something like 16 car races before he tested for Minardi last year. I think the number of races doesn't matter, I just think Kimi needs to do a season of at least F3, F.Atlantics, Indy Lights, F.Nissan or F3000 first.

Also, I don't think that GB F.Renault is as competitive as Euro F.Renault or even Italian F.Renault. If he blows Massa, Grassotto, Antinucci, Schmidt, Winkelhock and Del Monte away, then I might change my mind....
Old 4 Nov 2000, 15:19 (Ref:46677)   #8
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F. renault to F1 seems to fast for me. I've got to see it before I believe.
Luckily I cán see it next year.