Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2894552)   #751
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Well he certainly has a downer on the "British" doesn't he? What relevance is Bernie's nationality for heaven's sake?

And 95% of the British GP's audience are British? So what? It's a sell out annually and there are other Grand Prix within easy driving distance in Belgium and Germany. Just like a short hop if you're from Texas!!

I can see why it's an easy target if budgets are being cut and schools are under pressure but I think if he revisits the issue in 5 years it will be seen as a success.

I've been to Austin myself and it's a really great town, I think the GP will be very well suited there. With a bit of luck there could be a US Formula One driver again soon and that'll help.
I don't see this as downer on the British, he's merely pointing out who runs F1. Most people in the US will never have heard of Bernie.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2894608)   #752
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see this as downer on the British, he's merely pointing out who runs F1. Most people in the US will never have heard of Bernie.
I beg to differ. He uses the phrase "British monopolist" twice and other times just refers to Ecclestone by name. The writer is trying to rub in the nationality of the F1 holder, probably just to point out he's a foreigner.

In any case it's a badly written piece, thrashing around all over the place trying to find any reason to trash the event.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2894835)   #753
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I beg to differ. He uses the phrase "British monopolist" twice and other times just refers to Ecclestone by name. The writer is trying to rub in the nationality of the F1 holder, probably just to point out he's a foreigner.

In any case it's a badly written piece, thrashing around all over the place trying to find any reason to trash the event.

I read the piece, it's complete rubbish..
Old 10 Jun 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2894841)   #754
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
And Watkins Glen certainly seemed to be a reasonably popular venue for the GP back in the day. It lasted for 20 seasons there for goodness' sake, so it couldn't have been that bad.
Having just read the article, I stumbled on the mention of Watkins not being success. What did it in was the increasing cost to run the race I believe.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2894844)   #755
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And 95% of the British GP's audience are British? So what?
It's to draw a point that if Texans are paying for this to draw in tourists and the only people that go are people living in Texas, no new income is brought into the state that'll cover the costs they're putting into it.

Quote:
With a bit of luck there could be a US Formula One driver again soon and that'll help.
Not as long as the Europeans expect everyone coming through their formulas to be ride buyers.

Perez may be a draw for all the Mexicans that live in Texas.

Quote:
Look, I'm a diehard racefan. I love the sport. Why on earth though in this economy is the Texas state government and the city of Austin paying off that snake oil salesman that'll someday stab a knife through their back just as he has done to multiple other promoters the world over?

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 10 Jun 2011 at 00:24.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2894846)   #756
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
For the best.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2894863)   #757
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure Bernie is any worse a snake oil salesman than quite a few characters out there, like the "top bankers" and hedge-fund managers. And I think cities are going toe be FAR MORE ****ed off, and this will be across the entire country mind you, by the wider impact of this current mess in the NFL.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2894866)   #758
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Get real; to Americans Ecclestone is a monolpolist and a foreiegner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
For the best.
Damn right.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2894883)   #759
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enough austin bashing. Give it a chance at least the first time. this is 2011 and the world power brokers are changing daily. Feel forunate you even got a race in the USA again. IMO. Americans in general probably don't hate the British. BE sucks period, no mater his nationality.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2894949)   #760
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
I don't agree with the people that say Americans won't go to Austin to the GP. From my perception, the Indianapolis event was one of the GPs with more people in the stands. Ok, it's the American capital of motorsport, but I don't think that's only because of that. Americans are a people that wouldn't allow an event of worldwide projection to be held in their territory and with the grandstands not full.
They would be embarassed by that and they will go there even if they have no clue what is F1 or who is Vettel or Hamilton, Webber, Alonso, etc.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2894985)   #761
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I for one really hope this works.

I can understand the controversy about state funding in the current economy but I think the GP will put Austin on the world map, which currently it isn't, and that will be the benefit for taxpayers.

If you asked a European to name a city in Texas they'd say Houston first, or at a pinch and if they were a little older Dallas (because of the TV show). I bet hardly anyone would say Austin or even know it's the State capital.

I've been lucky enough to vist Texas many times and Austin is an undiscovered gem for me. I think it's slightly "alternative" nature will fit in really well with F1 fans and others if they only knew it existed. That's where I think the benefits will come from for the people paying for the tax breaks.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2895005)   #762
Louis Agilais
Racer

There's still San Antonio to add to that list of Texas cities that people would say before mentioning the capital. But there you go, like Dallas and Houston they also have a NBA team, so that's probably the reason. Also it seems to me that Austin is the capital of Texas in the same way Den Hague is the capital of the Netherlands: for a reason other than its size, population or economic importance in the region

I do agree that having a NBA team or hosting a Grand Prix "puts the city on the map" and probably all the money invested will return. I just don't agree that, because of this, they charge the city for that privilege the amount of money they do.. it just doesn't seem right..

Chosing the cities based on merit or well defined criteria seems to be the fairer option, like they do with the Olympics or the World Cup. Although we all know that that tends to generate corruption, it's still a better way to go..
Old 10 Jun 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2895020)   #763
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Agilais View Post
Chosing the cities based on merit or well defined criteria seems to be the fairer option, like they do with the Olympics or the World Cup. Although we all know that that tends to generate corruption, it's still a better way to go..
Problem with doing it that way is the well known cities will always have an advantage and the Austins of this world don't get the chance to put themselves on the map. When was the last time the Olympics went to a place no one had heard of? Well I suppose there's London coming up .
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2895068)   #764
Louis Agilais
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Problem with doing it that way is the well known cities will always have an advantage and the Austins of this world don't get the chance to put themselves on the map. When was the last time the Olympics went to a place no one had heard of? Well I suppose there's London coming up .
Yes, it's true, but nevertheless it's always better than the system we have now of going to "whoever pays more". Or, it's fairer. And a system like the one I'm defending always gives room to the Austins of this world, because they can apply for a GP, and, if they have a case, they can win. For instance, Atlanta is not the most important city of the U.S., I think, and they still had the 96 Olympics (as Salt Lake City, the Winter ones)
Old 11 Jun 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2895449)   #765
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as Usual

The "Fat Lady" has not yet sung:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23292.html

Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:31 (Ref:2895471)   #766
rantanamo
Rookie

rantanamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the Austin talk is ridiculous. Its a metro of nearly 2 million people, and is home to some of the largest corporations in the world and one of the top US public Universities. I think the GP would do fine there.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2895702)   #767
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Some of the Austin talk is ridiculous. Its a metro of nearly 2 million people, and is home to some of the largest corporations in the world and one of the top US public Universities. I think the GP would do fine there.
Welcome to the forum rantanamo! I hope you enjoy posting here
Old 13 Jun 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2897728)   #768
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Followers of the American F1 Venue "Circuit of the Americas".

Time to stop wondering what is going on in Austin, Texas. USA, concerning the 2012 scheduled F1 event and the new circuit there. No more rumors. You can actually follow the news on this event as it unfolds (freedom of the press in the USA). Read what the locals think and find out what the politicians are up to. There might even be something revealed about B.E. in this stuff somewhere. He did have a hand in this after all.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ing/index.html

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/index.html

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/news_archive.html

There is even a current twitter and Facebook string for this news:

Twitter @StatesmanF1

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Formula1Austin

You have no doubt heard every pro and con for this event imaginable. Now search for the truth your self.

Glad to be of assistance.

Mike.

P.S. Personally I hope it succeeds. Of course I hoped Indy would be a success to.

Last edited by ujoint; 13 Jun 2011 at 03:27.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2897915)   #769
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post

P.S. Personally I hope it succeeds. Of course I hoped Indy would be a success to.
I hope it suceeds too. I think it's good for F1 and America to have a race there. Trouble for Indy, imo, apart from the infield being too Mickey Mouse, BE and Tony George were never always going to see eye to eye. I like the fact that TG stood up to BE, but that doesn't make for a happy relationship!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2898147)   #770
Lennon
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Lennon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why... why... why do they always have to do stupid projectos for the inside of the tracks?
Do they really need those S sequences there?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2898241)   #771
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well F1 needs to be in the US. I hope this time it works out. As for the track, well I will reserve judgement on that for now. It is at least good to hear that there is some elevation change at the circuit.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2898492)   #772
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
quote me: "Followers of the American F1 Venue "Circuit of the Americas". I Originally set this up as a separate thread because of all the current news links about this race surfacing now (actually they have been around awhile). The intent wast to let last minute followers on the 10-10ths... F1 forum find this information with out having to scour the complete Austin... thread now totaling over 50 pages. Not too many visitors are going to read all 52 pages about the F1 race in the US. I did to see if the links to news sources I found were here. They were not. This information will be lost to most in a few dozen posts and then you will be getting the same old questions, comments etc. about Austin, Texas posted over and over again. This is my opinion only. You are the Mods and if this is where you want this posted it is fine with me. I know more about Austin Texas than I care to divulge but if I need more of that blather I know where to find it. Thanks for putting this info here. Hope I made sense here. hah hah.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:37 (Ref:2898497)   #773
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Well F1 needs to be in the US. I hope this time it works out. As for the track, well I will reserve judgement on that for now. It is at least good to hear that there is some elevation change at the circuit.
Agree with that. Many of the sponsors in F1 would certainly like the exposure a GP in the US will bring them, especially in these times of economic difficulty.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:37 (Ref:2898498)   #774
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Thank you for starting the thread ujoint I merged the two as we already had an "Austin Grand Prix" thread.. I am sure that everyone will see your links and go to them as they feel they need to..

Divulge at your hearts content..
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2898500)   #775
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Big elevation change from what I can see, I think you will like it...

I am going to drive out there at the weekend to take a look...
Closed Thread