Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2908029)   #851
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The vote to authorize F1 in Austin, Texas. USA is about to begin. Want to follow the current proceedings: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/channel6/ Austin City Council Meeting Live Video Stream.
Set to start right quick like.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2908062)   #852
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Anyway, how about the 1, probably 2 auto manufacturers who will be constructing test facilities there?
Will they be getting another bailout to fund those new facilities?

Is anybody building bridges that will be sold to the good folks buying all of this...
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2908127)   #853
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay the action begins. Finally. Shish. The vote debate.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2908129)   #854
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Quote at the council meeting: "Murdoc is probably gonna buy F1" didn't know that one.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2908136)   #855
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
Quote at the council meeting: "Murdoc is probably gonna buy F1" didn't know that one.
You heard it here first.

sssshhh!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2908138)   #856
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Spritle, I think Ford and GM have paid off their loans, and are now solvent companies. The picture on Chrysler isn't as clear, but I don't think there is a real concern that testing facilities would be dependent on the public dime in that fashion.

Ithink such testing facilities would be a good thing. For all the guff we give businees, which is often deserved, I'm NOT inclined to discourage a major corportaion from making such and investment in infrastructure, and research and technology.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2908139)   #857
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
What ever happened to the day when you took a bull dozer out in the field and made a race track and then you brought in the cars and you raced? What?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2908145)   #858
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Spritle, I think Ford and GM have paid off their loans, and are now solvent companies. The picture on Chrysler isn't as clear, but I don't think there is a real concern that testing facilities would be dependent on the public dime in that fashion.

Ithink such testing facilities would be a good thing. For all the guff we give businees, which is often deserved, I'm NOT inclined to discourage a major corportaion from making such and investment in infrastructure, and research and technology.
Real good point but, GM and Ford both already have huge testing facilities and really don't ned this purpose built one. I think that would just be said to enhance the multi use issue. There are no guarantees on who show's up here except F1.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2908147)   #859
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
What ever happened to the day when you took a bull dozer out in the field and made a race track and then you brought in the cars and you raced? What?
People thought that money could be made out of it.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2908150)   #860
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
People thought that money could be made out of it.

Why didn't I think of that. Fail. Course, I ain't BE or anything close. Also, not very wealthy. But, after seeing what is involved in that arena I have decided that I am satisfied with what I have. Mostly, I can watch all the racing I want for very little money out of pocket.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2908154)   #861
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
I wanna hear what the community garden folks have to say. Just curious as to how F1 racing and that goes hand in hand?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2908161)   #862
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Austin you might really get screwed here. Bernie don't care how much you invest as he doesn't have to pay Austin a dime if the venue fails.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2908175)   #863
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Look out here come the attorneys.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2908178)   #864
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Austin you might really get screwed here. Bernie don't care how much you invest as he doesn't have to pay Austin a dime if the venue fails.
It's a win, win situation for Bernie.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2908194)   #865
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's a win, win situation for Bernie.

No wonder he is a billioaire. If it is that easy, maybe I should give it a try.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2908197)   #866
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Wouldn't you think BE would be at this meeting? Think?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2908201)   #867
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
If Bernie were to walk away from this today, how much money would he make?

A side note. That attorney looks suspiciously like. J.R. Ewing. ROFLMAO.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2908212)   #868
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
You can move the event out of Austin in June and I would bet that the frickin Ozone level (a contested issue here) would be the same regardless. Gotta please the greenies.

Current Austin, Texas temperature is: 94 degrees F.

Last edited by ujoint; 29 Jun 2011 at 19:52.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2908218)   #869
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Ford didn't take any bailout money the last time around. In regards to the GM loan pay-off, the US government committed 52.4 billion to GM in the form of loans AND an ownership stake in GM. GM paid off the 6.7 billion loan but in essence used other TARP funds to pay it off, some might call it robbing Peter to pay Paul. The bottom line is the US taxpayers are still on the hook for the balance of 45 billion and the stock prices are not holding up so a future loss to the taxpayer is likely.

SO I guess if GM were to build a test track at Austin, the US government would own it!

Jeez, don't tell Tavo and Bernie that, next they will be telling the folks in Austin that the US Government will be among those using and funding COTA, along with the other thousands queued up for the other available 50 weeks in the year.

BTW - Is the idea of the Grand Prix of Greece dead yet or are they just waiting for some funds...
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2908221)   #870
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Ozone impact statement.Ok, here come the loonies. Hey, it is America 2011. Damn it bro. They'll be using electric cars don't you know. Sounds like all the fans will be dead right after the race. So, they will not be available to drive there autos or ride the buses out of the facility. So, the Ozone projection needs to be haved by a factor of 4. Not race related but, one of the reason we can't get to our own oil in the USA is people like the Ozone commitee chair.

How did I get so far off topic. Sorry folks. ujoint slaps head with a big hand.

Last edited by ujoint; 29 Jun 2011 at 20:14.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2908229)   #871
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
A Formula One race in Austin next year would generate just under $288 million in direct economic impact for the area, according to an estimate released Monday by promoters of the race. That spending would produce $26.6 million in new tax revenue for the state, according to the study.
$288m in direct impact would be 150,000 people each spending $2k over the weekend. That's optimistic to say the least.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2908236)   #872
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Please tell us where and when we have lied regarding any portion of this.
Here's a good summary:

F1: Robin Hood in Reverse
Austin Post
By Deb - Friday June 17, 2011
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2908240)   #873
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Community garden. If you sell what you grow. How much does Austin get from the proceeds. Not in the contract.

Priceless proceedings.

Just curious. Did the recent F1 venues in the Middle East and Far East go through this level of additional add ons to secure there right to stage a Formul 1 event? Does that even matter?

Last edited by ujoint; 29 Jun 2011 at 20:43.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2908249)   #874
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
$288m in direct impact would be 150,000 people each spending $2k over the weekend. That's optimistic to say the least.
obviously some will spend less and other more...so and average spend of 2k.
but race tix, hotels, meals and drinks, shopping, transport, and a trip to the 'Austin City Limits' stage and you will be well over 2k right there.
the real question will be how many out-of-towners the race can attract.

edit: just read BobHWS' newest link...apparently people from Austin who go will be in reality paying for the race twice...which i of course i read as more money being spent so more sales taxes collected and a greater offset to this egregious missallocation of state funds.

Last edited by chillibowl; 29 Jun 2011 at 20:58.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2908255)   #875
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Everybody is seeing green alright, as in Yanky Dollar green.