Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3683362)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Especially at the end when Fry accidentally smacks him and then starts corpsing
Old 27 Oct 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3683397)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
That's the viewing figures in the whole of the USA right?
i could be wrong but i believe their is also a Spanish language channel that broadcasts the race in the US but as that is even more of a specialty channel its reach or viewership probably doesnt change the overall number too much.

i can see the COTA's point though. maybe not so much about Austin and Mexico poaching each others audience (Montreal and Indy coexisted back to back without issue) but Sunday afternoon in October (well sept to dec) is the day for NFL (plus college sports, baseball playoffs, Nascar nearing its season end, hockey - lots of sports on tv).

another date that falls outside of the football season would offer them an opportunity to broadcast the race during a less busy sports day. but who know if even that would make a difference.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 00:12 (Ref:3683486)   #53
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, so Nascar's crappy truck series gets roughly the same as F1 and Indycar combined.

That's the last time I'll be taking seriously anyone that moans that F1 or Indycars look ugly when you've got twice as many rednecks watching this monstrosity going around in circles:

Sorry to any ute fans, but I do think even a Prius is more visually appealing than a ute.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 01:19 (Ref:3683505)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I guess most Americans don't like motorsports. Period.

All this clambering to make F1 big in the states, and it turns out the viewing figures aren't even great for their for their own homegrown series...
I always find it interesting how those outside of the US really don't understand the lack of interest in F1 in particular and Motorsports in general that exists here.

Richard
Old 28 Oct 2016, 06:21 (Ref:3683536)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Wow, so Nascar's crappy truck series gets roughly the same as F1 and Indycar combined.

That's the last time I'll be taking seriously anyone that moans that F1 or Indycars look ugly when you've got twice as many rednecks watching this monstrosity going around in circles:

Sorry to any ute fans, but I do think even a Prius is more visually appealing than a ute.
Livery aside this thing looks fantastic!!

On topic, it will take a lot if work over the next few years to establish F1 in the US sportsfan minds.

However it is near essential for the manufacturers to be there. To be seen there at least 3 or 4 times a season!
Old 28 Oct 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3683570)   #56
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way to fix F1 can be summed up in one word: ballast.

Even F1s diehard fans don't want to watch Rosberg & Hamilton win 44 out of 52 races in the last 3 years. My current level of enthusiasm in F1 is at the lowest it's EVER been. Even with Verstappen making things slightly more exciting.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3684009)   #57
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I guess most Americans don't like motorsports. Period.

All this clambering to make F1 big in the states, and it turns out the viewing figures aren't even great for their for their own homegrown series...
I would have to disagree. Just taking one rating for one race is giving you the wrong idea.
11.4 million watched the Daytona 500. 6.7 million watched the Talledega race earlier in the year. NASCAR has been losing fans at about 10 to 20% a year recently but that is a different story involving the rules, tv stations, and economics.
2008 Daytona 500 was 17.8 million and 9 million for Talledega.
Also they have over 30 races in a season.

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/sto...n-Ratings-2016

On 29/5/2016 the Monaco GP had 1.25 million viewers in the morning, the Indy 500 got 5.9 million viewers in the afternoon, and in the evening the Charlotte 600 had 5.7 million. Not bad for one day.

NHRA drag racing is watched by about 1 million.

Then there is NASCAR Xfinity, NASCAR trucks, NASCAR Pro, ARCA stock cars, World of Outlaws, off road trucks, motocross, sports cars, etc etc etc.

If they don't like motor racing, how do you explain Bristol Motor Speedway?

Last edited by Number4; 30 Oct 2016 at 13:58.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3684023)   #58
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Americans love motorsport. They just love their own.

Same with ball sports. Football isn't very popular but they love American football.

Nothing wrong with that of course. European and American tastes are very different.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3684029)   #59
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed they are different.

Speedway racing has some interest overseas and vice versa with what was primarily a European series with an occasional Asian or American (North and South) race. Now a world series with much less character as in the past (the same for many American series as well re character), and barely an American interest (Haas) it's a hard sell here.

I find it hard to watch F1 now and found this race to be a complete bore.I would watch a Truck race over an F1 race now if not for the caution clock.

The typical derogatory comments from posters towards American Speedway racing to prove one is more sophisticated than others is old hat and only serves to make a fool's point.

And for the record, Bristol hasn't been that full for years, outside the American Football game that was played there this year.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 30 Oct 2016 at 15:50.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3684044)   #60
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

Do you think NASCAR trucks are crappy from experience, or are you adopting the default position of most open wheel circuit racing fans?

I just watched the truck race at Martinsville, it was my favourite race of the year so far, great action from start to finish. Much more exciting than the coma inducing F1 races I have given up forcing myself to sit through.

I think F1 cars are ridiculous. They spend billions developing aerodynamics and materials, spend more billions hauling them around the world, and then at the first corner they disintegrate in a shower of plastic chips.
I would rather listen to a big v8 through straight pipes than a washing machine motor attached to a motorcycle engine.
Almost nobody buys plastic cars, nobody buys cars with stupid wings all over them. It's all so pointless trying to beat a set of rules that get stranger every year.

I guess I must have these feelings because I am a Redneck Good Ol' Boy from the Deep South (of England).
Old 30 Oct 2016, 17:25 (Ref:3684053)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Do you think NASCAR trucks are crappy from experience, or are you adopting the default position of most open wheel circuit racing fans?

I just watched the truck race at Martinsville, it was my favourite race of the year so far, great action from start to finish. Much more exciting than the coma inducing F1 races I have given up forcing myself to sit through.

I think F1 cars are ridiculous. They spend billions developing aerodynamics and materials, spend more billions hauling them around the world, and then at the first corner they disintegrate in a shower of plastic chips.
I would rather listen to a big v8 through straight pipes than a washing machine motor attached to a motorcycle engine.
Almost nobody buys plastic cars, nobody buys cars with stupid wings all over them. It's all so pointless trying to beat a set of rules that get stranger every year.

I guess I must have these feelings because I am a Redneck Good Ol' Boy from the Deep South (of England).
What I find ridiculous, is they spend these billions as you say and yet the result is more often than not, a dull spectacle and not much actual racing between the drivers. I've got to the point where I prefer to watch Qualifying than the actual race. Another thing I find is given the chance F1 over complicates things. For example do they really need all those tyre compounds? If F1 wants to appear to be cutting costs and greener, why not have just two compounds? It must take a lot of energy and resources to produce all those tyres.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3684083)   #62
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What I find ridiculous, is they spend these billions as you say and yet the result is more often than not, a dull spectacle and not much actual racing between the drivers. I've got to the point where I prefer to watch Qualifying than the actual race. Another thing I find is given the chance F1 over complicates things. For example do they really need all those tyre compounds? If F1 wants to appear to be cutting costs and greener, why not have just two compounds? It must take a lot of energy and resources to produce all those tyres.
A very deep and meaningful person once told me "You can only see the true path when you are standing on top of the mountain." I think he had a point. I equate F1 with a car driver who refuses to admit he is lost and keeps turning left and right, when in fact he should stop, back track, and get on the correct route.

Going back 40 years, F1 genuinely was pushing science forward with engine and transmission design, materials, and construction. They did so well at it that they shot themselves in the foot by making the cars too fast for the hamburger behind the wheel. Now they want to be at the forefront of eco science with battery technology, electric motor design, and fuel efficiency; all of which clashes the original concept of going as fast as possible. A 747 burns about 180 tonnes of juice per trip, and all those workshops must need a small reactor, add the fans at the racetrack, all the TV's, and the F1 season is in fact responsible for thousands of tonnes of pollution.

An F1 car has to weigh 700kg. A tube frame Ariel Atom weighs 550kg. An F1 chassis must weigh less, so the only advantage gained from billions of dollars of carbon fibre development is that you get to choose where you put your tungsten ballast.

I have an official piece of paper somewhere that says I am supposed to know a lot about aerodynamics. I can tell you that the wings on an F1 are ridiculous.
You will never see a wing like that on an aircraft because they are built to beat a bizarre rule, and the DRS is an unfair gimmick in its current form.

Yacht racing has done much more for aerodynamics and material science recently than F1 has for 20 years.

You are right about the tyres, it is nice that a team strategy can help win a race, but when you have to use this compound and that compound, and it has to be from one manufacturer it all gets a bit pointless. Just have one tyre per race and F1 tell Pirelli what sort of compound.

So from front to back I think F1 cars are crap, added to the fact they race at places which have no motorsport background and dull shaped tracks, I'm done with it after 40 years.

No wonder our American friends don't watch.