Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Dec 2011, 21:42 (Ref:3004936)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indianapolis Historic 500

This is the time of the year when we cook up foolish projects......
For a while I have been wondering, 2 of the 3 great classic races run a classic version.
I mean The Monaco GP Historique and Le Mans Classic.
The latter one draws a huge crowd and seems to generate nice revenue.
Indianapolis does nothing of the kind.. Aaaaaaand Indy and the Hulman family certainly can use the money nowadays, after having slowly run the 500 to the ground.
I did contact them a while a go through their website, surprisingly I got a very friendly answer within minutes pointing to their councours de elegance for vintage Indy racers, no comment on historic racing.
When I pointed out that concours and racing are worlds apart and that they could probably charge the racers for actually beeing allowed to entain the crowds I got not answer.
I would run my Edwardian Stutz of the type that did quite well befor the Great War........ and get that Penske.

Anybody keen to race there ?

Rudolf
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:05 (Ref:3004939)   #2
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A possible candidate for the shortest meeting ever? The mind boggles at the thought of the great unwashed let loose competitively on a real oval, with real Indy type cars (of any period)......if people think Gerards at Mallory is a concern then what chance somewhere seriously quick which really has no run off area.
That said I would move heaven and earth to do it if historic racing ever happened there!
Old 29 Dec 2011, 08:08 (Ref:3005061)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Before we all book our flight tickets to Indy what about looking a bit closer to home. Rockingham, AFAIK there has not been a race organised/run on the full oval.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 08:48 (Ref:3005071)   #4
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Indy

They do make a small effort at the Indy 500, before the race they run some historic cars. The owners / drivers have a choice of `speed lanes` a bit like the M25, slow in the first lane fast in the top lane.
Surely they would never let them loose......
Old 29 Dec 2011, 19:43 (Ref:3005274)   #5
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
They do make a small effort at the Indy 500, before the race they run some historic cars. The owners / drivers have a choice of `speed lanes` a bit like the M25, slow in the first lane fast in the top lane.
Surely they would never let them loose......

Örmm..
The driver safety or competence issue had not occured to me..apart from the usual requirements demanded by organisers at this level.
I figured that if an internstionasl C-license allows me to race a 200 mph Group C car or a DFV engined 3 litre F1 I might be experienced enough for Indy.
Buuuut, yes the oval might different and some sort of novece rookie procedure might be advisable as part of the event.

Nobody really tempted ?
This by the way explains the relatively low car values
You cant do much with them

Rudolf
Old 29 Dec 2011, 19:51 (Ref:3005279)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Historic Indycar Series in Europe... Oh the Irony!
There's Rockingham, and Lausitzring.
Oh, and Brands Hatch 'Indy' circuit.
All have history, even if for just the one race.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3006731)   #7
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread, but I cannot see IMS risking a historic race on the oval. In the past they have let the historic cars run at the end of 'Carb day' behind a pace car.

These range from all era's, from cars with ride-on mechanics, roadsters (my favourite!) to G-force and Dallara's. With the faster stuff staying up high on the track.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3006761)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
They could run at the road course.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3006779)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How much non-contemporary/club/amateur racing on ovals happens?
Old 3 Jan 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3006906)   #10
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HNY Adam,

I've raced on the oval at Daytona, you get to do the whole oval and the infield, as you go back on to the oval from the infield right beside where you leave it.

It was at the HSR International Historic meeting in November. I am sure if you look on other oval circuits websites that they may also have other non contemporary / club / amateur events.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3006914)   #11
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of US oval circuits, like Rockingham here, have a "road circuit" set into them. Like Daytona they are usually set up so only one corner of the oval is taken at full speed- I know the tri-oval kink is flat at Daytona but it is used to set up the turn into (onto?) the infield section. The infield loop before the last section of banking at Daytona is a reasonably modern addition, the thought of 917s and 512s through there flat really makes you think!
To return to the OP as far as I know there is no oval used as an oval for historic racing (as we know the sport) anywhere. Where they do have demonstrations, as other posters have said it is behind a pace car.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3006916)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Historic Indycar Series in Europe... Oh the Irony!
There's Rockingham, and Lausitzring.
Oh, and Brands Hatch 'Indy' circuit.
All have history, even if for just the one race.

I'm sure I saw them at Silverstone too.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3165839)   #13
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to a historic meeting at Sandown, here in Melbourne last weekend. There was a demonstration run of an Indycar I had no clue about. A Buick Sabre, a 1990 model. I haven't been able to find anything on it since. Does anyboday here have some info?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3174914)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Örmm..
The driver safety or competence issue had not occured to me..apart from the usual requirements demanded by organisers at this level.
I figured that if an internstionasl C-license allows me to race a 200 mph Group C car or a DFV engined 3 litre F1 I might be experienced enough for Indy.
Buuuut, yes the oval might different and some sort of novece rookie procedure might be advisable as part of the event.

Nobody really tempted ?
This by the way explains the relatively low car values
You cant do much with them

Rudolf
There is definitely a rookie procedure at Indy, in the past reigning F1 world champions have had to start out running laps a quite a low speed and working their way up.

formerf1champ, I think they were Indy Lights cars rather than the top tier. There is some info on the Savy Motorsport website - http://www.savymotorsport.com.au/web...%20flyer-2.pdf
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3174925)   #15
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.can-am-cars.com/productca...&idproduct=484

This ones a bit cheaper
Old 12 Dec 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3178083)   #16
Patrick Morgan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sywell, UK
Patrick Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like a great idea but in reality it would be very dangerous for a whole host of reasons. Taking driver ability aside racing on ovals is completely different to racing on a road course. The drivers have to be extremely disciplined as a step wrong ends up in a huge accident. Emerson Fittipaldi wrote at some length about this and by happy coincidence a part of it was published on the motorsport website last month...

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...oval-racing-2/

We ran our '97 car at Rockingham last year which was terrific but very nerve wracking even with just one car lapping much slower than in period (we only hit 208mph on the straights and were much slower on the corners). No one makes oval spec tires for these cars that you can buy and the road course tires really suffered after 15 laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcU9z-0a9uU

I fear you would also get a mix of aero packages as unless you really know what you are looking for a superspeedway floor can look much the same as a short oval floor - obviously the wings are easily identified. Then you must run with proper oval suspension and tire stagger.... I can't viably see any tire manufacturer accommodating that for historics.

All that said, like Simon, I would find it pretty hard to turn down the opportunity to take a car out there. It's a hell of a track - once you seen a car go though turn 1 from the pitwall your life will never be the same. The speed they turn in it is just unreal. Fontana is quicker over a lap but the corners are so much more gentle. Indy is just brutal.

For road courses it's a different story, Indycars are pretty viable things to run and the motors last 600 miles which is handy. The mid 1990's cars made around 900 - 950 bhp at 45" of boost which tends to keep the drivers entertained. And they look good...