Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3228298)   #1
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Greatest Win?

This is the latest article I have done for FormulaSpy.com (external link)

Most people within the F1 community have different thoughts on what the greatest F1 victory ever was. The days of past heroes such as Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Hill & Stewart duking it out to claim the laurels and the plaudits are all very high up there, but today, let’s look at one of the most definitive masterful victories, a triumph of both strategy and speed.

Five time World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio is revered amongst many as being the epitome of a gentleman racer. Dapper and sophisticated, the Argentine often looked almost casual as he piloted his car at breakneck speeds through the hazards of 1950s Formula One. He also had a knack for jumping ship from teams to join the next new dominant force, and won titles for four different teams, as well as a win record of 24 wins from 52 races, almost 50% of the races he entered.

In 1957, Fangio was drawing his career to a close at the age of 46. Still feeling as quick as ever, he fought for the World Title against Vanwall’s Stirling Moss, and Ferrari’s Luigi Musso. Driving for Maserati in the infamous 250F, Fangio headed to the fearsome Nurburgring Nordschleife with the prospect of being able to claim the title at that race.

Things got off to a great start for El Maestro, claiming pole position, while Musso would line up in 8th place. Tyres played as big a part in 1957 as they do in modern day F1, with the abrasive nature of the Nurburgring’s tarmac being a major consideration for all the drivers. During practise, Maserati decided against trying to run non stop, and opted to stop at the halfway point to refuel and change tyres. Running lighter would also ease the stress on the tyres and would allow Fangio to run at a higher pace. The Ferraris opted for a more traditional nonstop strategy, running with full tanks and harder tyres to get through the whole race.

Onwards then to the race, where the sun baked the surface of the track. Fangio made a sloppy getaway and this allowed Mike Hawthorn to take the lead. He lead for the first two laps, which was around twenty minutes of racing at the Nordschleife, with an average laptime of around 9:30. Fangio managed to take the lead on lap 3, and set about increasing his lead over the next eleven laps, sprinting towards his pitstop. He set a series of lap records on the way to his stop, which were not the 4 second turnarounds that a modern F1 viewer would be familiar with.
Pitting on lap 13 of the 22, Juan’s pitstop took an age, even by the standards of the day. Getting out of the car to change to a fresh set of goggles wasn’t particularly unusual, but the mechanic who dropped a wheel nut under the car was. Failing to notice the mistake immediately, finding the nut took almost thirty seconds, and by the time Fangio was leaving the pitlane, over a minute had passed, and he was over 40 seconds behind the leading Ferraris of Hawthorn and Peter Collins. However, instead of immediately putting the hammer down and setting off after the Ferraris, Fangio decided to use his experience and craftiness to lull them into a false sense of security.

On his outlap, lap 14, Fangio did a lap no faster than a usual outlap, but then followed up on lap 15 with a completely average lap time. The reason for this was to ensure the Ferraris would be convinced that Fangio was unable to catch them, and the tactic worked, Ferrari team manager Ramolo Tavoni was fooled and held out pit instructions for his leading drivers to hold their pace steady. In those pre-pitradio days, this was the only form of communication with drivers, and the long 14 miles of the Nordschleife meant that the drivers were usually unaware of what was going on behind them.

With the Ferraris now holding station, Fangio dropped the hammer and immediately made use of his first 14 miles, pulling in the Ferraris at almost a second per mile. While Ferrari immediately spotted Fangios tactic, it was yet another 14 miles before they could inform their drivers to push, but the damage had already been done. Fangio had halved the gap already, and then set off on a magnificent set of fastest laps, each successive lap smashing the lap record, which he himself had set during his first stint before his pit stop.

At his fastest, Fangio set a lap of 9.17, which was almost ten seconds faster than his own pole time of 9.26. Wrestling his Maserati faster and faster through the Nurburgring’s 170 odd turns, by lap 21, he was dancing and darting around behind the two Ferraris who, by now, were also pushing as hard as they could.

With only one and a half laps to go, Fangio passed Peter Collins to take second place at the Nordkurve. Rapidly chasing down the leader, Hawthorn, he had more of an issue passing him, but eventually made a move stick, with two wheels on the grass, at Breidscheid. Hawthorn fought hard, now also light on fuel, and only fell four seconds behind Fangio over the remainder of the race. But, despite his bleak prospects after his pitstop, Fangio emerged the victor, after a scarcely believable three and a half hour duel.

Speaking about the race years later, Fangio would say:

‘That day I had everything turned on and firing on all cylinders. I was ready to do anything. Whichever way you look at it, it was an extraordinary race. When it was all over I was convinced that I would never be able to drive like that again – never. I had reached the limit of my concentration and will to win. Those were the two things that allowed me to take the risks I did that day. I knew I could win, but I knew equally I could lose. I was stretching myself to the limit, and afterwards the car was covered with grass and dirt. I was trying out new things, pushing myself further at many blind spots where I had never before had the courage to go to the limit. I was never a daredevil, never a spectacular driver. I would try to win as slowly as possible.

Until that race I had never demanded more of myself or the cars. But that day I made such demands on myself that I couldn’t sleep for two nights afterwards. I was in such a state that whenever I shut my eyes it was as if I were in the race again, making those leaps in the dark on those curves where I had never before had the courage to push things so far. For two days I experienced delayed-action apprehension at what I had done, a feeling that had never come over me after any other race, a feeling that still returns to me this day when I think about that time. I had never driven as I drove then, but I also knew I’d never be able to go so fast again – ever.’

This was oddly prophetic, as Fangio would never win another Grand Prix, and had retired from the sport within a year.
Friend and team mate of Fangio, Stirling Moss, said this about Fangio’s final, and greatest, victory:

“This was one of the classic drives of all time, by perhaps the greatest driver of all time. I was witness to it, and in fact I finished fifth in that German Grand Prix. I know the word ‘incredible’ is much devalued these days but what Juan Manuel Fangio did on the 4th of August in 1957 was, and remains, absolutely that.”

The greatest win I think I have ever witnessed personally was probably the 2000 Belgian GP, or the 2005 Japanese epic, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by Bononi; 4 Apr 2013 at 12:08. Reason: Changed link
Old 3 Apr 2013, 05:05 (Ref:3228351)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
One of my favourites,Brambilla in the rain Austria 1975...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr9U8UNjKFk
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:35 (Ref:3228373)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if it is the greates win of all times, but the race that immediately popped up in my mind was Schumachers first win for Ferrari in a very, very wet Barcelona 1996. After a 3th in qualifying and a poor start he drove into the first corner in the midfield. But after that, he passed his competitors 1 by 1, and in lap 13 passed Villeneuve for the lead. He won the race with 3/4 minute ahead of Villeneuve and Alesi, and at least a lap of the other few drivers that were able to keep their car on the track. Among those who couldn't, the man who would in that year become world champion Damon Hill. Het spun 3 times, and the last time his car crashed into a wall.

In the same league is the GP of Europe in 1993 that Ayrton Senna won. He was 5th after the first corner, but only needed 1 lap of a wet Donnington Park to take the lead. He was the mastering the very changeble conditions better then anyone. He still needed no less than 4 pitstops to change from raintyres to slicks and vice versa, but archrivel Alain Prost pitted a record 7 times. In the end only Damon Hill managed to just stay on the lead lap.

Last edited by werner; 3 Apr 2013 at 07:43.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3228378)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me, it will always be Donington 1993.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3228402)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great post Otto but never heard the 250F described as 'infamous' before. Quite the opposite, I'd have thought, although a bit long in the tooth by 1957.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3228405)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Vettel at Sepang 2013 was sublime.

Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3228430)   #7
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting - most "claims" so far are events from the recent past.

How about Moss at Monaco and the Nurburgring in 1961, with the underpowered Lotus against the 4-strong dominant Ferrari team ? Or indeed his win in Argentina in 1958 with a 2.2-litre Cooper against just about everything else, with canvas showing through his worn tyres as he crossed the line.

There's also the 1967 Italian GP at the superfast Monza - Jim Clark got a puncture early on and lost a whole lap. He rejoined, passed the leading bunch and gained the entire "missing" lap to take the lead again. On the fastest circuit around where even so-so drivers could keep up with the leaders.

TBH I nominate for greatest GP any of the races on that circuit where bunches of cars would fight it out right up to the flag, in close formation, ducking and weaving for position, real b*lls-out racing with everyone trusting the skill and honour of the others. Aero ? What aero?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3228450)   #8
sublimao
Rookie

Italy
Alassio Italian Riviera
sublimao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far I have witnessed here my opinions, but there are manyand it is
difficult to list:
1) Jackie Stewart March 1968 GP Germany at the Ring
2) Senna Mclaren 1993 Donington
3) Peter Gethin BRM 1971 at Monza
...and I like as well Brambilla March in Austria good point.

Instead the greatest of the greatest in the car racing history is without any doubt the Nuvolari's win at Nurburgring 1935 with Alfa against Auto Union.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3228451)   #9
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Vettel at Sepang 2013 was sublime.

This is obviously a wind-up and should be ignored

This thread is only open to people who know what they're talking about
Old 3 Apr 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3228482)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
For me, it will always be Donington 1993.
Well, the 1st lap was brilliant
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3228487)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimao View Post
As far I have witnessed here my opinions, but there are manyand it is
difficult to list:
1) Jackie Stewart March 1968 GP Germany at the Ring
2) Senna Mclaren 1993 Donington
3) Peter Gethin BRM 1971 at Monza
...and I like as well Brambilla March in Austria good point.

Instead the greatest of the greatest in the car racing history is without any doubt the Nuvolari's win at Nurburgring 1935 with Alfa against Auto Union.
For some reason I was thinking since 1950 - but you're absolutely right. The little man from Mantua.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3228499)   #12
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Great post Otto but never heard the 250F described as 'infamous' before. Quite the opposite, I'd have thought, although a bit long in the tooth by 1957.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_A4WjcJ6DQ

I'm too young to be able to be able to comment accurately without relying on hearsay to be honest! Based on watching the old ITV video there, I got the impression it had been an infamous car, as well as winning quite a few races. It may not have made the same impression as some of the Ferraris or Mercedes of the era, but it still seems to have something of a following!

Thanks though, I can only get better as a writer by having things pointed out!

I've thought of another great win, the one where Gilles Villeneuve held off 5-6 cars for a large portion of the race even though his Ferrari was crap. Jarama 1980 I think it was.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3228503)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damon Suzuka '94 was bloody good.

More recently, Hamilton showed them all up at Silverstone in 2008.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3228537)   #14
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson Piquet, 1991 Canadian Grand Prix.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3228567)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
8 October 1978 in Montreal, Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3228571)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jackie Stewart, Nurburgring '68.

Dreadful conditions, terribly dangerous and challenging circuit, nursing a broken wrist and, in the end, winning by four minutes.

Also Villeneuve, Jarama '81.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3228962)   #17
Dayzer
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Dayzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can a Mod please change the Opening post link please

New Link - http://www.formulaspy.com/classic-f1...eatest-victory

We can blame FOM Ltd!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3229038)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Done.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3229045)   #19
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alain Prost, 1993 French Grand Prix.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3229112)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Peter Gethin, Monza, 1971.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3229120)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Well, the 1st lap was brilliant
I always suspect this is a bit over-rated as a demo of Senna's skills because making that many places on one lap is hardly unheard of. If anyone cares to tell me why that opening lap is so great, I really am all ears.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3229136)   #22
Dayzer
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Dayzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Done.
Thanking you kindly
Old 4 Apr 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3229210)   #23
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always thought that Donnington 1993 wasn't actually as good as it was made out to be. It was the year of all the techno wizardry in F1. I think that Senna's 1st win in F1 at Estoril in 1985 was actually better in my opinion. Controlling a turbocharged car with a manual H gate gearbox and lapping everyone except the 2nd placed man(Alboreto). No traction control on that Lotus. Plus, it had one hell of an engine!

As for other great wins -

Schumi in Belgium in 1995 - Keeping Damon behind him, whilst he was on slicks compared to Hill's wets, in the early stages of the race took some skill. Likewise with coming all the way back from 16th. Hill looked like a beaten man on the podium.

Mansell in Hungary in 1989 - Starting 12th and going into attack mode. He was helped out by backmarker and managed to get the jump on Senna. A staggering drive from him.

Prost in Mexico in 1990 - Starting 13th and battling his current teammate(Mansell) and former teammates (Piquet and Senna). He took the lead of the race with an inspired tyre strategy and an amazing race pace to make-up for his lack of success in qualifying.

Kimi in Japan in 2005 - Starting 17th and having some amazing battles with Schumi, Alonso, and Fisichellia. A brace pass near the end of the race gave him victory. A superb showing of the "Iceman"!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3229246)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fave victories for me are Button a couple of years back in Canada, Villeneuve in Jarama 81, Schumacher at Catalunya stuck in gear, I didn't believe it til they released the video
Senna in Brazil in 92 was it? When he started wailing like a baby on the radio!

Panis winning in Monaco, true grit and total calm in tricky conditions.

vettel in Monza in the Toro Rosso, simply amazing
Old 4 Apr 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3229267)   #25
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can only speak of what I can remember:

Some of the mid-90s Monaco races were classics with some great victors. Schumacher running away from the field in 1997 and Panis in 1996 come to mind.

Maldonado last year was great as he kept composed and it was good to see Williams at the top again.

Alonso at Imola in 2005 and Schumacher at Imola 2006 were two examples of amazing defensive driving.