Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3679480)   #51
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Our local motor club had its regular "noggin and natter" session last night and the BRDC member present gave a fascinating insight to their problem. All of the comments above about an unworkable business model were confirmed and change of ownership seems inevitable. Given that, we all agreed as race enthusiasts, that MSV seemed the best option, a real racer with relevant and successful experience rather than a conglomerate or an entrepreneur whose magnificent motor sport efforts appear to be subsidised by his other business interests.

It is no time for anything other than a company with a proven track record (pardon the pun!)
Agreed, if it goes to an overseas conglomerate you are only ever a board meeting away from a strategic change of direction and disposal of 'non-core business' assets.

More importantly you need someone who is going to invest in motor sport as a whole. One of Silverstone's main failings IMO is that it believes that investing in Silverstone only means building something else or putting more paint on the track - they have not been investing in new events, creating new events (in fact they have handed over what should be a prime Silverstone event to a 3rd party promoter). Whereas MSV whether you like them or not, has created Palmer Audi, runs BSB, ran F2 has picked up the ashes of F3 and kept the name alive and created the BRDC Formula and they are creating new events like the Italia Festival at Brands, where as the management at Silverstone have just become landlords and janitors and are fast realising that you need an awful lot of 3rd party customers to fill your track time and vast corporate space in the Wing building, which I imagine is 100 miles away from reaching even the lower end of their capacity sales figures.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:18 (Ref:3679487)   #52
bardy66
Rookie

England
Suffolk
bardy66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshal at Snetterton as well as Silverstone and I can only say good things about MSVR, when they took over Snett is was a dump the circuit now looks better when you arrive, we have nice big huts, rubbish bins and loo's, on all posts, this year we held our first International event when we had the Dutch supercars came over, and last weekend was the first race for the MSVR LMP3 Prototype cup. I think Silverstone can only benefit from having them in charge.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3679565)   #53
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy66 View Post
I marshal at Snetterton as well as Silverstone and I can only say good things about MSVR, when they took over Snett is was a dump the circuit now looks better when you arrive, we have nice big huts, rubbish bins and loo's, on all posts,
MSV circuits are always well presented, the facilities are good and toilets are clean at the start of the day and kept that way. Silverstone has always lagged behind in this regard (in fact last time I was there for a 3 day meet it was positively grim by the 3rd day - toilets and shower blocks hadn't been cleaned the whole time we were there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy66 View Post
this year we held our first International event when we had the Dutch supercars came over, .
I was wondering why that wasn't at Brands this year - shame, it was good fun on the GP loop.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3679571)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is the simple things isn't it. Palmer does this superbly.

He has revolutionised Snetterton, imagine what he could do with Thruxton or Croft?

He has done some very good things at Cadwell too, things that were necessary and simple things that weren't but tickle an itch you have.

It means he can then ask a little more money for some meetings and feel justified in doing so.

I think Silverstone might be a very complicated deal for him though. If he takes it onw he has every big event in the country, MotoGP, F1, plus the classic and numerous other big events.

But he also has their hosting fees, something he seems to rebel against as he has dropped WSB and a few other series if they don't make money or he knows he would have to ramp up prices to cover the fees.

I say fair play to the bloke, he is putting prices and customers first.

Little things, like last winter he put a speccy pen at the back of Druids, raised the ground a little, made it a better place to watch. Bulldozed all the dross behind it.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3679765)   #55
bardy66
Rookie

England
Suffolk
bardy66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
MSV circuits are always well presented, the facilities are good and toilets are clean at the start of the day and kept that way. Silverstone has always lagged behind in this regard (in fact last time I was there for a 3 day meet it was positively grim by the 3rd day - toilets and shower blocks hadn't been cleaned the whole time we were there).

Have to agree Silverstone toilets can be improved the paddock ones are kept clean, but around the circuit they are either locked or pretty poorly kept.

I was wondering why that wasn't at Brands this year - shame, it was good fun on the GP loop.
It was a good meeting although clashed with a VLN meeting so numbers could have been higher. mind you Britcar managed 5 cars for a 90min allcomers race..

Last edited by bardy66; 13 Oct 2016 at 14:25. Reason: mistakes
Old 13 Oct 2016, 14:40 (Ref:3679766)   #56
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

He has revolutionised Snetterton...
I guess that's personal opinion. Whilst I don't doubt its a better spectator experience now, the new circuit layout I don't personally care for much.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3679785)   #57
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

He has revolutionised Snetterton, .......
I don't like the 300 circuit either.
Also - still no hookup in the paddock so if you don't have a garage you're a 2nd class citizen...
Old 13 Oct 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3679786)   #58
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Also - still no hookup in the paddock so if you don't have a garage you're a 2nd class citizen...
see, i struggle to reconcile basic deficiencies like that with the fact his sons are racing in expensive series with expensive teams.

it's like when your boss says he can't afford to give you a pay rise when you're doing two peoples jobs, but he turns up the next day proudly showing off his new aston martin.

i don't disagree with the notion that msv ownership would be good for silverstone, but it feels bad for british motorsport to have quite so many msv-owned circuits. at what point does the competition commission get involved?
Old 14 Oct 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3679925)   #59
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
see, i struggle to reconcile basic deficiencies like that with the fact his sons are racing in expensive series with expensive teams.

it's like when your boss says he can't afford to give you a pay rise when you're doing two peoples jobs, but he turns up the next day proudly showing off his new aston martin.

i don't disagree with the notion that msv ownership would be good for silverstone, but it feels bad for british motorsport to have quite so many msv-owned circuits. at what point does the competition commission get involved?
I think in this case it would be unlikely for the following reasons.

I doubt there would be any complaint from the other circuit owners as many of them face their own challenges from local issues and regulation that make them less viable and nothing to do with MSV having a monopoly.

If MSV ended up as Silverstone's prefered or perhaps only real option and a competition enquiry was mooted, I am sure they would point to the fact that they are in this position due to maintaining the British GP for the nation without any government money, so perhaps the commision might like to recommend government suport instead. This would see the commisioner reverse out of the circuit liked a scalded rat, never to be seen again.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3686297)   #60
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hear that the JLR deal is now dead, where does that leave us?
Old 8 Nov 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3686416)   #61
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I hear that the JLR deal is now dead, where does that leave us?
Tomlinson also withdrawn but MSV still standing I believe and now apparently they have another 'overseas investor' interested......