Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3682684)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
What will F1 be like in 10 years time

I believe the current engine regs are set until 2020, so it will be interesting to see what F1 looks like after that. Some thoughts that crossed my mind and I will end with a possible outcome.

• Carbon reduction targets will be even more in focus in the 2020's
  • Possible political change around the world may see less of the countries willing to bankroll F1
  • For even the emerging races that we have now by thge late 2020's, F1 may be seen to have done it's job in promoting them and they may have differing priorities
  • The diesel and petrol powered car will have disappeared
  • Automomous cars will be commonplace certainly in cities, leading to less interest in cars and driving
  • Car manufacturers will really be technology providers not car builders as such as 'the car' is integrated into more and more mobile technology
  • New roads will have wireless charging built in that will charge cars as they drive - this was proposed by Qualcomm at a seminar I was at several years ago.
So in 2026, will F1 exist at all, will there be an audience or need for it?

My view is that FE and F1 will merge (Liberty have a stake in FE and of course own F1) and the new FE1 will be the new F1.

Traditional circuits will increasingly come under pressure for development due to population increase, so all city centres races and of course Monaco...
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:14 (Ref:3682688)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Well it looks like they won't be going to Malaysia

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/sepang-g...n-f1-gp_251016
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3682690)   #3
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If FE and F1 merge, how big will the grid be? And this may seem a little morbid but will Bernie make it to 2030???
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3682697)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think diesel and petrol cars will vanish by 2030. Maybe they will attempt to ban them in certain cities (London perhaps), however I think we need to be looking at more like 2040 before fossil fuel cars are yesterday's news. I did read that both London and Birmingham want to ban diesel cars in some form from entering the city zones...
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:08 (Ref:3682710)   #5
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I don't think diesel and petrol cars will vanish by 2030. Maybe they will attempt to ban them in certain cities (London perhaps), however I think we need to be looking at more like 2040 before fossil fuel cars are yesterday's news. I did read that both London and Birmingham want to ban diesel cars in some form from entering the city zones...
Interestingly Renault are now saying the tougher Euro 6 emission standard testing will see the end of diesel engines in their B and C segment cars (Clio and Megane size) by 2020, bear in mind that A,B and C segment cars make up the bulk of Renault's European sales and currently 60% are diesel, so that would be a huge change- agreed that in the short term they will probably continue with the downsized petrol engines with small turbo's - ironically going back to the engine sizes of some small cars from the 1960's and 1970's which were under 1,000 cc.

The equation will be making petrol or diesel cars clean enough to meet the ongoing emissions both technically and economically, as they will end up being legislated off the road. I believe the recent climate change conference in Paris agreed that by 2050 all new cars sold in 8 US states and five other countries including UK must have zero tailpipe emissions.

Looking at the lag of mnaufacturing process and investment,car sales and consumer buying, no manufacturer will want to have any cars in production well before then, so 2040 may well be right to give them 10 years start on the ban.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 16:50 (Ref:3682787)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
As long as they don't go back to Grooved tyres, I think I can kip easily

I just hope the cars are still noisy enough, not just the sound of the wind as they rush pass. Just enough to get the hairs on the back of your neck stand up

And I worry that it might be all gone from free TV in Britain by then, hope the new owners do something about it
Old 25 Oct 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3682831)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And I worry that it might be all gone from free TV in Britain by then, hope the new owners do something about it
It'll be streamed directly to our retinas by thought transfer.......
Old 25 Oct 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3682849)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It'll be streamed directly to our retinas by thought transfer.......
you are not far off.

they are already developing systems for streaming live races to either virtual or augmented reality helmets initially to allow for a more immersive race viewing experience for teams but also for users at home. i would imagine this will lead to 'race the pros' type simulations.

http://prize.tatacommunications.com/#home

BE, despite all his backwards ideologies, surely deserves some credit for FOMs deal with TATA to massively increase F1's broadcasting and data transmitting capabilities.

if F1 becomes the first major sport to be experienced in true real time VR or AR simulation then that would make it (certainly from a fan experience point of view) the most technologically advanced sport in the world.

and actually it seems so (un)natural...i cant play VR football or basketball in my house because i would very quickly run head first into a wall.

motor racing, on the other hand, already involves sitting...which i am, and every other person watching sports at home, is already doing when we watch home. so why not strap on a helmet and test my metal against the best in the world.

it really is a perfect fit for these types of simulations.

Last edited by chillibowl; 25 Oct 2016 at 21:13. Reason: i used the word natural...but added the (un) because maybe its not a natural thing to do at all!
Old 26 Oct 2016, 00:01 (Ref:3682873)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
you are not far off.

they are already developing systems for streaming live races to either virtual or augmented reality helmets initially to allow for a more immersive race viewing experience for teams but also for users at home. i would imagine this will lead to 'race the pros' type simulations.

http://prize.tatacommunications.com/#home
If F1 thinks that I have the time or inclination to watch their putrid races
unadulterated without being able to do something else at the same time they are kidding themselves. If I were forced into a "more immersive race viewing experience", then I would just pass. Listening to the commentary and paying attention to the replays is about as much time as F1 will get!

The product needs serious work, sorry it is just not that interesting at the moment.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3682878)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
easy there old timer

but seriously some of those ideas in that competition (the link i posted) are pretty cool and its still early days. if any of that actually makes it into my living room i will be checking it out.

and not just for F1, i think its something that would work really well for all motor sports.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3682982)   #11
Moneyseeker
Veteran

In the context of the thread, interesting to see that Audi has announced it is ending it's LMP1 programme in the WEC at the end of 2016 to focus on FE and not F1. Does this mean that perhaps we will not see any more manufacturers enter F1 and possibility that Mercedes will exit in 2020 to focus on FE?

Audi chairman Rupert Stadler said: "We're going to contest the race for the future on electric power.
"As our production cars are becoming increasingly electric, our motorsport cars, as Audi's technological spearheads, have to even more so."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...lmp1-programme
Old 26 Oct 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3683084)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
read that this morning as well...impressive list of manufacturer involvement in that series now and if im not mistaken Merc have also signed up for the 2018 season as well?

obviously the costs are much lower then in F1, the manus think that the race to brand themselves as a leader in electric vehicles is the battle ground for the future, and now that Liberty own a controlling stake in both series a merger seems like a real possibility.

what form it would take would be interesting. not sure if this would even be viable but would it be possible to have some sort of electric vs turbo battle for supremacy?
Old 26 Oct 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3683110)   #13
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
what form it would take would be interesting. not sure if this would even be viable but would it be possible to have some sort of electric vs turbo battle for supremacy?
This could actually work (at least in my mind!) as this would lead to electric cars to basically have to mimic internal combustion engines at what they do but do it better whilst being energy efficient. I doubt we'll see F1 do this, more likely to slowly make a transition out of internal combustion units and to electric power (or perhaps another form of sustainable energy???) whilst having very strict engine regulations, but I for one wouldn't mind a free for all if it meant that good came of it. Imagine the technology that could come from electric motorsport at this level in such a playing field.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 02:22 (Ref:3683262)   #14
wnut
Veteran

Indy cars and GP2 just look better and better.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3683312)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever happens to F1, we (as in the denizens of Tenths) will mostly be looking down the wrong end of a telescope at it, decrying all changes and hankering after whichever 'Golden Age' we can still see in our diminishing minds.

The changes are a-coming, whatever we think. Whatever we think is actually irrelevant anyway - it's what our children and grandchildren and so on think that matters. For the record, my kids think the Formula E cars are fantastic and so do many of their friends. They spot electric cars on the road (they also spot big fancy sports cars!) and they already think that electric drive is The Now, not The Future.

In short, to paraphrase something from the world of consumer technology: we're looking at it wrong.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3683322)   #16
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Whatever happens to F1, we (as in the denizens of Tenths) will mostly be looking down the wrong end of a telescope at it, decrying all changes and hankering after whichever 'Golden Age' we can still see in our diminishing minds.

The changes are a-coming, whatever we think. Whatever we think is actually irrelevant anyway - it's what our children and grandchildren and so on think that matters. For the record, my kids think the Formula E cars are fantastic and so do many of their friends. They spot electric cars on the road (they also spot big fancy sports cars!) and they already think that electric drive is The Now, not The Future.

In short, to paraphrase something from the world of consumer technology: we're looking at it wrong.
Yep, cars will not just be cars, (they are and will be even more so), connected devices that communicate with each other, their environment and who knows what else. In some ways it will probably be such a step change that it will be akin to the horse being replaced by the car, relegating horses from an every day workhorse (literally) to a luxury maintained by a few for leisure and enjoyment (and ironically sport). Perhaps that will happen to the car as we know it today.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3683671)   #17
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hydrogen fuel cell cars? Is that what F1 will be?
Old 11 Nov 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3687211)   #18
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have made postings in the Mercedes WCC thread that really fit in here and I don't think we will have to wait 10 years with both Mercedes and Ferrari joining the FE debate.

As Moneyseeker comments in his opening post, Infinity are in both

Can someone work out a performance equivalence?