Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2165511)   #1
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie, Richard Lloyd

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...311171,00.html

I just heard the names confirmed on Sky news. I can't believe it at the moment.. There were other people on board too as yet un-named...

Don't quite know what to say...
May they Rest in Peace.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2165513)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very Sad News

It's being reported that ex-BTCC racer David Leslie has been killed in the plane crash in Kent earlier today.

David was a true supporter of us Marshals and often attended training days and gave talks.

This is very sad news.

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 30 Mar 2008 at 21:10.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2165522)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How could words mean anything at such a bad time,I'm sure that everyone will be devastated at this.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2165525)   #4
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this truly difficult time.

I am sure I echo many people's thoughts in saying he was a top bloke, and a top racer. He will be missed by many.

A sad day for motor racing.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2165526)   #5
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a terrible piece of news, David was a top man, always happy to talk to anyone. A very sad loss to us all.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2165527)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't believe what I've just seen
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2165529)   #7
Pretty Vacant
Rookie

England
Deepest Darkest Dorset
Pretty Vacant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could'nt beleive it either, both were Gentlemen. David has been very supportive of my partner in her racing and given so much confidence to her.
Sincere condolences to both families at this tragic time.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2165530)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, until it is confirmed I think we should refrain from comment ok?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2165532)   #9
hamsteruk23
Rookie

hamsteruk23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie (born November 9, 1953 in Annan, Scotland, died March 30, 2008 in a plane crash in Farnborough, Kent) is an auto racing driver. He was Scottish karting champion 5 times before switching to cars, winning the Formula Ford title in 1978. He had spells in Formula 3, Sportscars and ThunderSaloons in the 1980s, but found a regular home in the British Touring Car Championship, first competing there in 1990 and doing his first full season in an Ecurie Ecosse Vauxhall in 1992, taking his first win a year later, and a total of 6 pole positions over those 2 years, both of which ended in top 10 championship placements.

1994 was an unsuccessful season in a Mazda, but for 1995 he joined Honda as they entered the series for the first time. The car was late getting onto the track in pre-season, and reliability as initially poor, however he finished 10th overall after a strong end to the season. 1996 started badly with several collisions, but a victory in the British Grand Prix support meeting kick-started a strong 2nd half of the season, allowing him to snatch 4th overall at the final round of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_L...cing_driver%29

Last edited by hamsteruk23; 30 Mar 2008 at 21:28.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2165536)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The news appears to be clear? Utterly appalling. I just can't believe it.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2165542)   #11
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
David Leslie and Richard LLoyd - 30th March 2008

Having followed news reports of the tragic plane crash which killed five on the outskirts of Farnborough in Kent earlier today, it is with great sadness that I have just read the news on Daily Sportscar that two of those killed were David Leslie and Richard Lloyd.

My thoughts and prayers are with their families, friends and all those who were close to them.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2165543)   #12
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Another tragedy hits the close motorsport community.

Stood next to and spoke briefly to David Leslie at a recent motorsport event, really nice guy.

Can't believe it.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Regards

Tim
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2165546)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Richard Lloyd has also been named as one of those killed (see Sky News)
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2165550)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Autosport and Dailysportscar.com are both reporting it- apparently they were flying out to the FIA GT3 test at Nogaro

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66244

Awful news...

Last edited by KA; 30 Mar 2008 at 21:43.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2165554)   #15
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad sad very sad news, only recently saw him racing at britcar meeting on easter saturday

Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2165555)   #16
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a sad loos, RIP
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2165556)   #17
Atomic UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wherever I Lay My Hat
Atomic UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely stunned. I reported the news on another forum just after the
crash happened and had heard it may have been going to Pau, so I hoped
we'd not hear news like this and now we have.

David won the Britcar opener that I was at Silverstone photographing just
one week go and David and Richard (and perhaps yet more we know) will
be a huge loss to motorsport.

May they all rest in peace.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2165558)   #18
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of us have been enjoying his commentary on Eurosport for the WTCC. I can still hear his voice and it will be difficult to accept we won't ever hear it again. Thanks David for your involvement in the sport, RIP!
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2165559)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's an established (just) thread in Tributes guys. I'll move this so it can be merged.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2165562)   #20
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't believe it - I'm with the poster above, I can hear his voice as well. He seemed to be commentating on almost everything these days. A true gent and a massive loss to the motorsport world. Condolences to the others involved as well - I'm sat here very nervously awaiting the names, yet whoever it is, its a sad day.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2165566)   #21
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a tragic loss. My thoughts are with the families and friends of all of the victims of today's accident. RIP
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2165570)   #22
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a tragedy.... no words for it, rest in peace...
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2165581)   #23
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm Stunned, in shock.

David is, sorry, Was, one of Life's Good Guys, a True Gent.

RIP David and Richard, you will be missed.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2165585)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was stunned to hear this. David was a nice chap, have watched a fair few races in the press room with him. Richard Lloyd I didn't know but had heard lots of good about him
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2165589)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just terrible. Why must so many go this way?

I always liked David Leslie - I remember chatting to him and getting his autograph at the 1998 Motor Show. Excellent driver and top bloke it seemed to me. The WTCC coverage will seem really weird now.

RIP David and Richard.