Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:23 (Ref:3506372)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's an issue of medium importance. And it comes under the category of brand identity. I'm not sure why you guys don't get this.

And some of you guys I recognise complaining about them not doing about promotion - well, this is part of that and its a fair move.

There are more important issues - that issue is governance. But of course all the big stakeholders are paralysed on this question, jealously guarding what they have without a thought to the big picture.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3506381)   #27
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dislike the recent fashion for drivers to keep changing their helmet design. I prefer it to be their 'identifier', a bit like a coat of arms for a medieval knight!

However, I don't think it needs a regulation.

There is a problem with identifying drivers though. Too many teams have similar liverys, especially on long shots and the light is hitting the cars at the wrong angle. The little colour differences between the two cars in a team, such as on the roll-hoop camera or mirrors, are not a solution because stupid old people such as myself can't remember which is which!

Rather than making rules about helmet colours, the issue would be better addressed by improving the visibility of numbers or driver names. Especially on in-car shots.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3506392)   #28
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it's wonderful to see that the FIA are addressing the really important issues ..
Old 19 Feb 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3506397)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I can't believe I am asking this question but does anyone have Max Mosleys phone number ?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3506413)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's an issue of medium importance. .

Right along with the colour of their underwear I would suggest.

How big will the committee be and how much will they be paid to allocate crash helmet colours and designs to drivers.
How dare they design their own helmets, its a health and safety issue I tell you.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 02:09 (Ref:3506422)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Right along with the colour of their underwear I would suggest.
The colour of their underwear is irrelevant.

The drivers brand identity is central to the promotional aspect of this sport and is thus of some importance. It really shouldn't be this difficult to work this out guys.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 06:01 (Ref:3506490)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The colour of their underwear is irrelevant.

The drivers brand identity is central to the promotional aspect of this sport and is thus of some importance. It really shouldn't be this difficult to work this out guys.
If the driver is happy to forego the marketing opportunity of consistency in helmet design, I think he should be allowed to.
Painting the wing endplates and mirrors or/and top of the airbox in differing colours between team mates should solve the differentiation problem far better than helmets given the high sided cockpits.
Or actual numbers you can see as suggested above.

Sorry this is just egotism from the formula 1 management group.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 09:01 (Ref:3506556)   #33
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done Sauber they have put quite large numbers on the side of their car at Barcelona.

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/818

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13325604

Lets hope they keep it up for the season.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3506593)   #34
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Viewing enjoyment either at the circuit or on TV is improved by quick recognition of exactly which car/ driver is in view, simples!

Also just think about those of us that have red green colour vision problems, the makers of those little lights that show when your device is finished charging forget about that problem!

Old 19 Feb 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3506604)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Well done Sauber they have put quite large numbers on the side of their car at Barcelona.

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/818

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13325604

Lets hope they keep it up for the season.
obligatory comment about how it hides the lack of sponsors quite nicely
Old 19 Feb 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3506609)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If the driver is happy to forego the marketing opportunity of consistency in helmet design, I think he should be allowed to.
Painting the wing endplates and mirrors or/and top of the airbox in differing colours between team mates should solve the differentiation problem far better than helmets given the high sided cockpits.
Or actual numbers you can see as suggested above.

Sorry this is just egotism from the formula 1 management group.
It's not egotism, it's marketing 101. A driver is intimately linked with his helmet and all that is part of his brand identity. In turn, the drivers are the centrepiece of the sport. Driver personalities need to be developed in and out of the car and being associated with a particular helmet is part and parcel of that. Just as Mansell and Senna had their designs. It all serves the sport and if the sport deems fit to strongarm drivers to put their vanity aside, then I'm glad and its good that they are doing that.

You guys all bellyaching about the sport not doing enough to promote itself and then the sport does something smart in this area, it's "egotism".
Old 19 Feb 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3506625)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can also see allowing for more visible livery changes to help identify one driver from another. Something that could remain consistent throughout a season.

For example I think the "T bar" camera mount above the roll hope is color coded within a team (this might even be driven by regulation). I think teams sometimes color code other parts of the car
Like this:

Old 19 Feb 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3506627)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And it comes under the category of brand identity. I'm not sure why you guys don't get this.
Part of Vettel's brand identity was that he changed his helmet every race. I'm not sure why you didn't get that.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3506633)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see what the big deal is about changing helmet design. If a driver wants to change design for the hell of it and or, that's how they want to brand/market themselves, so what?

Also, what if a driver picks up another sponsor during the course of the season, are they not allowed to change helmet design, to incorporate the new sponsor?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3506638)   #40
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Part of Vettel's brand identity was that he changed his helmet every race. I'm not sure why you didn't get that.
He compromises his brand identity when he does this and a big problem with this sport is that teams and drivers don't think of the overall interest of the sport. It's good that they are being compelled to do this - if only this was replicated in other areas.

Very simple concept this guys. Time to get it together.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3506640)   #41
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then why do drivers appear in commercials without their helmets on?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3506650)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
So Joe Public can see what they look like.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3506653)   #43
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I've seen promotional material with or without helmets. Sometimes promotional material contains depictions of drivers 'suiting up', putting on a helmet and driving off. Sometimes drivers are carrying their helmets in pitlane. If they aren't using helmets sufficiently, then they should use them some more.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3506661)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He compromises his brand identity when he does this and a big problem with this sport is that teams and drivers don't think of the overall interest of the sport. It's good that they are being compelled to do this - if only this was replicated in other areas.

Bless, such a 20th century view of brand.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3506664)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

How does this compromise his brand identity, when changing his helmet design is very much part of his brand identity?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3506670)   #46
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Bless, such a 20th century view of brand.
It's a 21st century view of a brand.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3506671)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

Last edited by Adam43; 19 Feb 2015 at 14:53.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3506672)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Marketing and branding is a whole new world to some of you guys. I'm glad I can help.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3506674)   #49
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with all due respect the only guys who really change their helmets, LH, SV, and FA, are the most marketable drivers in F1.

so i really dont see how multiple helmets have diminished their brand or marketability.

if anything LH occasionally putting a picture of his dog and gf on his helmet works because it reinforces the number of pictures he puts out on twitter and instagram of his dog and gf. it gives him more pictures to tweet and more for his legion of fans to fawn over.

its all a bit juvenile to me, but his online profile is how he builds his brand up and that is modern marketing imo.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3506676)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
A single design enhances their marketability for reasons I've outlined and is good practice for drivers establishing their brand identity for the future.

It'll help people with an on-off interest in the sport as well. People who rest on that limbo between interest/disinterest might not remember names or get mixed up in colours and so on, will see vivid helmet designs and associate that more readily with the driver. Just like Mansell with his iconic helmet, Senna with his, Hill with his and on it goes.

Very reasonable stuff to legislate on.