Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Feb 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3506691)   #51
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will be easier if you put the motto: If drivers change helmet designs every race, then they mustn't care about it's originality, since the number of helmet designs ever done could be very big but, mathematically, limited.

With all these constant new designs, current drivers are killing the originality of helmet designs of future racing stars.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3506694)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
again in fairness a lot has changed since the time of the drivers you mentioned.

anyways from my point of view the most marketable drivers are such because they win. it has nothing to do with their helmet designs imo.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117722

autosports list of top 10 iconic helmets curiously does not include any drivers post JV. essentially all pre internet era drivers.

agree to disagree but come on man! how can we have a conversation about marketing in 2015 when the only reasons you give comes from before the internet?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3506696)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But Vettel's helmet got mentioned more than most! Marketing, if you like, was good.
His brand, of wacky helmet changer, who did things differently was set. After all he's who we are talking about with this. Boom, well done that man. Brand is more than a logo.

BTW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I prefer drivers to stick with one design. For me it is with their identity.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3506706)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!

We need take the next step and that is a standard appearance for each of the drivers. No more Fernando beards, etc. Maybe tattoo their name on their foreheads or sew a big "Hello My Name is..." patch like above on their driver suits.

I get the "brand" comment, I really do, but I also think it is highly overrated or at least misplaced with respect to helmet standardization. When I think of specific drivers the first thing that pops into my head is not a specific helmet design. It is their driving style, their personality, epic wins and losses. All dynamic and changing things. The helmet design can be part of a changing "story", but as a static brand element, I think it is a failed idea. Or at least it is if you try to apply it evenly to all drivers. If an individual driver wants to keep the same helmet for eternity as part of his/her personal brand then have at it.

Instead of season long "branding" they should be celebrating and promoting ad-hoc and dynamic stories...

* Button's special pink helmet(s) as a tribute to his dad.
* Williams having the Senna "double S" on their cars
* Multiple team tributes to earthquake/tsunami victims in 2011
* Vettel's ever changing design... What will it look like next?

Richard
Old 19 Feb 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3506715)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure how one can say helmets have failed when they haven't been exploited in the last number of years. It's not that helmets are "talking points". Noone gives a jot whether Vettel changes his helmet every week. Helmets give a visual cue, therein lies its importance. It remains a fundamental part of the drivers ensemble and the sport would do well to exploit - rather than refuse for unintelligible reasons - this strand of driver branding. I like it when this sport does things smart - it's a rare occurrence and this is smart.

As I suggested earlier in the thread - the driver should be permitted to have a one-off-special to promote a charity or something of that order. When such a change is rare, that becomes a genuine talking point. Vettel changing his helmet every week for purposes of vanity, people are jaded with that stuff and the market value of the helmet is not exploited to its full potential.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:18 (Ref:3506725)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'm not sure how one can say helmets have failed when they haven't been exploited in the last number of years. It's not that helmets are "talking points". Noone gives a jot whether Vettel changes his helmet every week. Helmets give a visual cue, therein lies its importance. It remains a fundamental part of the drivers ensemble and the sport would do well to exploit - rather than refuse for unintelligible reasons - this strand of driver branding. I like it when this sport does things smart - it's a rare occurrence and this is smart.

As I suggested earlier in the thread - the driver should be permitted to have a one-off-special to promote a charity or something of that order. When such a change is rare, that becomes a genuine talking point. Vettel changing his helmet every week for purposes of vanity, people are jaded with that stuff and the market value of the helmet is not exploited to its full potential.
Clearly the FIA do give a jot about Vettel changing his helmet design, along with the other drivers that do, otherwise why bother? The helmet is very much a part of a driver's ensemble and Vettel has exploited that with different designs. I don't see where the vanity aspect regarding Vettel comes from, he auctions them off for charity, I don't see anything vain in that.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3506738)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I like it when this sport does things smart - it's a rare occurrence and this is smart.
Some think its dumb and other smart. I predict it will have close to zero positive impact. Time will tell. And... we can't all agree and that is OK.

I am pretty much talked out and at the risk of beating a dead horse, I have two last comments...

1. I haven't read the details, but I believe that they are looking for consistency over the course of a season? If that is so, IMHO, that is too short of time to create an element that speaks to brand. If Coke changed their logo every year it would be meaningless as a brand element due to lack of real consistency. The only people I see benefiting from this are those that collect helmet miniatures as this means they have to buy fewer to get a "season collection" or those who create "driver spotter guides" that include helmet designs (create one and use all season vs. adjust as the helmets might change).

2. I think where they likely did get it right recently is the ability for drivers to pick a number and stick with it. I think that example is completely inline with what you are talking about.

Richard
Old 19 Feb 2015, 23:27 (Ref:3506849)   #58
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If I was Vettel my race suit and gloves would be so offensive in Australia this year that you would have to wear a welding helmet around me when I was out of the car. Nobody would even notice a helmet!
Old 20 Feb 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3507003)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The FIA have taken this even further:
Real News Story.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3507028)   #60
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The FIA have taken this even further:
Real News Story.
I have a plan. Tell the drivers to organise their faces and helmets and take a photo. At every race just before the start they line them up and do an inspection, if they do not conform to the photo they should be sent home with a note to their mum saying why they are out of the race early.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3507087)   #61
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Haha, great news :P
Old 20 Feb 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3507105)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Instead of season long "branding" they should be celebrating and promoting ad-hoc and dynamic stories...

* Button's special pink helmet(s) as a tribute to his dad.
* Williams having the Senna "double S" on their cars
* Multiple team tributes to earthquake/tsunami victims in 2011
* Vettel's ever changing design... What will it look like next?
totally. make it special and make it fun and promote the heck out of it.

something that never gets talked about are the insignia some drivers create for themselves like Schumi's dragon and Kimi's trident thing (which i cant find a small pic of).

Grahm Hill's helmet insignia came from this (link here):

'In 1952 he joined the London Rowing Club, took to the sport like a duck to water and would later wear the club's insignia (eight vertical stripes representing oars) on his racing helmet.'

there is a lot to be celebrated here but i dont get the sense this new rule is about history and tradition but rather about control...which is why it rubs me the wrong way.

anyways as Richard stated so nicely FOM should be doing more to celebrate the variety and meanings to be found within helmet designs.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3507239)   #63
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They need to take command the FIA and promote the blasted sport. If that means kicking some of these jokers out of their bubble, then do it. Drivers equipped with a coat of arms i.e a consistent helmet livery they can call their own - is showing some of the authority they need to show. If only the FIA could show this authority in other areas of the sport, it could get moving again.

Unfortunately too much control are in the hands of looters like Eccelstone and CVC and squabbling teams which has lead the sport into a damaging and seemingly long term position of paralysis.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3507302)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
FWIW

Massa, Lauda support helmet livery change ban

+ Alternatives refused

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30001.html

Which seem better than helmets!
Old 21 Feb 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3507304)   #65
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
FWIW

Massa, Lauda support helmet livery change ban

+ Alternatives refused

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30001.html

Which seem better than helmets!
It seems Bernie does not always get his own way and the teams are the ones who resist putting proper numbers on the car. Apparently I am not alone in finding recognition difficult, must be an age problem
Old 21 Feb 2015, 15:11 (Ref:3507368)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
It seems Bernie does not always get his own way and the teams are the ones who resist putting proper numbers on the car. Apparently I am not alone in finding recognition difficult, must be an age problem
Why are the numbers so small?
Old 21 Feb 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3507371)   #67
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why are the numbers so small?
Because larger ones, certainly in the past, took up very valuable advertising space, so the teams fought to have the size reduced.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 16:00 (Ref:3507378)   #68
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Valued advertising space, lol. I do admire optimists. You'd swear sponsors were clambering up to sponsors these cars. Alot of these cars look suspiciously blank though, you could probably crank up 'font size' for the numbers a few notches and have plenty of space to spare.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3507407)   #69
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Like this:

That works really well! Instead of banning skid lid redesigns, colour coding wing endplates and camera T bars would work immensely! Also, what about making it mandatory that the cars run big numbers on the rear wing endplates?
Old 21 Feb 2015, 17:54 (Ref:3507410)   #70
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Because it's way too logical.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3507414)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Because larger ones, certainly in the past, took up very valuable advertising space, so the teams fought to have the size reduced.
There is small and then there's small, .
Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3507415)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was just thinking back to the yellow flashes on Schumacher's Benetton or the different colour noses on each of the Renaults. Maybe that would be something else to consider
Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3507419)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Ferrari used to put yellow squares on the front and rear wings of the #28 car, so the two cars could be distinguished from each other.

Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:39 (Ref:3507425)   #74
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
The numbers on the Indycars and Ferraris are the right size. Some of these teams have alot of waking up to do.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3507531)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Vettel may not play ball over helmet design.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117767