Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3653266)   #2126
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi earned its podium … Toyota #5 lost its entire effort …. Nothing unfair about that. Cruel fate, much pain, shock, sorrow … but nothing unfair or unearned.

Porsche earned the win and Audi earned its third place … just as Toyota earned second.

Gutted for Toyota … I Really wanted Totoya to win …but that was just racing luck.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3653267)   #2127
flyingshoppingcart
Rookie

flyingshoppingcart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLM speculating that a mechanical issue occurred because Nakajima let off a bit at the end? I'm not an engineer, but is this possible?
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3653270)   #2128
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Well amongst the drama, congratulations to Porsche - Lieb, Dumas, Jani.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3653271)   #2129
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Have to say Audi did not deserve that podium
Porsche IMO didn't deserve to win, either. But just like the #7 Audi getting penalized at Silverstone on a rules technicality, rules are rules.

Is it fair that the #5 Toyota isn't counted as a finisher? Not really, but that's not my call, or Audi's or Porsche's, either. You have to take that up with the ACO.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3653273)   #2130
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
Edit: And ****ed about ACO...
Don't even get me started on that!
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3653274)   #2131
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingshoppingcart View Post
RLM speculating that a mechanical issue occurred because Nakajima let off a bit at the end? I'm not an engineer, but is this possible?
I heard that too. Can you imagine, if that was the case?
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3653276)   #2132
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dr Ulrich said that Audi didn't deserve the podium. He's right. Audi were crap.

Not a single driver on the podium looks properly happy. The Porsche drivers are happy but look conflicted. Neither of the other sets want to be there.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3653275)   #2133
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm no engineer either, but the cars are meant to go flat out, and I don't know if he let off or slow down. Think only Kaz and the team know now, and perhaps we'll never know.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3653277)   #2134
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, it seems possible. It seems a bit coincidental that it broke as he was apparently slowing down to let the sister car catch up. Or it may just have been rotten luck, and he wasn't slowing down on purpose at all. We're unlikely to find out the truth though.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3653278)   #2135
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
RLM microphones didn't quite pick up the anthem, so all I heard was silence for the podium celebration.

Fitting.

Quote:
Could be, but I assume all the factory teams are savvy enough to factor in few slowdown situations into their endurance tests.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3653279)   #2136
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The silver lining is that this takes the spotlight away from Ford's gift. I mean "win".
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3653280)   #2137
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was truly unbelievable. The beautiful TS020 denied with 50 minutes to go 17 years ago and now this....
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3653281)   #2138
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
The silver lining is that this takes the spotlight away from Ford's gift. I mean "win".
The GT podium is coming next, that'll bring the spotlight back to Ford...
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3653282)   #2139
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's not about third car, or manufacturers approach... is just fate! the whole universe was against toyota... Honestly I wasn't so confident about toyota pace and performances, but I was wrong and really enjoyed their race. Toyota deserved to win, but some unknown force or entity won't never let that.
Honestly I'm tired about this kind of races that endurance became, for a while I'm off with motorsport.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3653283)   #2140
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ehh...

I'm not a fan of Toyota as a brand, but I've been sorta rooting for them since they came back as they are the underdogs. Even not having much in my heart for Toyota, that was just cruel though, kinda dampens the whole thing. Probably the most upset I've been over a finishing result.

GTE-Pro was... Well it was a thing. Had the opportunity to be an epic race but was ruined by the BoP, not only for the on-track action but all that drama before it as well. Regardless of how it turns out, the thing with Risi at the end is a joke, and even further taints the Ford victory... Not that any of that will stop us from hearing about how amazing Ford's victory was and how they worked so hard and blah blah blah.

This is probably the only race where I even pay any attention to GTE-Am, and I guess it wasn't too bad. Possibly because of the way I was following the race, it seemed somewhat difficult to follow without the live timing though. Pleased for the Scuderia Corse guys, they are a solid team.

Pleased for the G56 guys making it to the finish as well, but then again I don't think anyone could say they aren't happy to see them come home running. Interesting story and easy to get behind.

Between the handful of cock-ups with the rules and silly penalties like the one Shank got, the P1 heartbreak and the GTE-Pro disappointment, I'm left feeling kinda disappointed with the whole thing... Then again I'm pretty tired at this point so maybe I'm just being a grouch.

Edit: Forgot to mention Bourdais getting a win is probably the only silver-lining in the GTE-Pro thing. It's not the overall win, but he's finally got a win.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3653286)   #2141
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
The GT podium is coming next, that'll bring the spotlight back to Ford...
Good for them.

Edit. And I guess we may find out if it's a sweep!
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3653287)   #2142
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Like I said on another forum, Porsche should really think about making a non-hybrid version of the 918 Spyder (call it "918 GT", say they'll build 500 of them and dare the ACO to not accept it.
Yes Porsche - please build the 960.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3653288)   #2143
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Well I think I know how Wurz feels. That's some Oscar-worthy acting to put a smile on in that situation.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3653289)   #2144
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
This is a nice silver lining. However still takes the cake that Hand, Muller, Bourdais will get there trophies, they are a good trio.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3653290)   #2145
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I heard that too. Can you imagine, if that was the case?
Mario Andretti lost the '87 Indy 500 in a similar way. Took it easy after leading 150+ laps... and the engine at lower revs vibrated itself to pieces.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3653291)   #2146
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I actually fell asleep right before the end. Woke up to see this! Well, go win the wec title Toyota. Try again next year with 3 cars. Just unbelievable! Toyota seems to have an LM curse. You couldn't write up this script.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:38 (Ref:3653292)   #2147
Stahler
Rookie

Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, but winning isn't about "deservings". This is a 24 hour race. Toyota just wasn't good enough in the end. Simple as that. Porsche's victory and Audi's podium are totally legit.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3653293)   #2148
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This is a nice silver lining. However still takes the cake that Hand, Muller, Bourdais will get there trophies, they are a good trio.
The drivers for Ford, I've always liked. Maybe not Seabass so much, but good for them. Just feels a bit dirty.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3653294)   #2149
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH calm down,Ferrari got the same gift as ford.i was convinced af course was going to take it and properly shocked when both the 51&71 retired.risi dq'd is bs,but rules are rules.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3653295)   #2150
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Not to drive the (sore) point home, but the #8 crossed the finish line 3rd.

Lucky? Undoubtedly, to absurd degrees. But you've got to be in it to win it, up to the very end

That's absolutely true, and I do consider myself an Audi fan. But all race the two Audis showed absolutely nothing - no pace, no consistency, no reliability. Of course, the drivers and maybe most of the supporting crew and mechanics were not at fault for this and they did their best, never giving up. But I feel a lot more arguments can be made why Porsche deserved to win, than Audi getting on the podium.