Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1764777)   #1
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Converting centre-lock hubs to studs

I've got no experience of cars with centre-lock wheels, so apologies if this is a question with a very obvious answer....

Is it possible to convert a car (FWD, saloon) that has been running centre-lock wheels to accept a conventional wheel that affixes by studs / bolts, without changing the front / rear leg assembly?

Could a conventional hub be adapted to fit the centre-lock upright? Has anyone had something like this fabricated before?

Cheers for any help or advice, even if it's to say it can't be done.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1765011)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just change the hub for one with studs or bolts. What car is it.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1765024)   #3
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Early BTCC car. Would it really be as easy as swapping the hubs over like that? I've never looked closely at a centre-lock hub before, so I've no idea how integral to the upright they would be.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1765042)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Early BTCC car. Would it really be as easy as swapping the hubs over like that? I've never looked closely at a centre-lock hub before, so I've no idea how integral to the upright they would be.
What make of car?????? If it is an ex race car then you may have the problem that it could have heavier stub axles and different brakes to standard so things may not fit without more modification. Nothing is easy on a car, doubly so on a race car.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1765058)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why do you want to change them?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1765070)   #6
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Cavalier. Currently a rolling shell, should be easy enough to find an engine and 'box to fit, but we'd be down-sizing wheels and brakes to meet a certain set of regs - centre-lock wheels are also not allowed. I'm fairly confident about the engine, 'box and being able to mount the smaller brakes, but losing the centre-locks without changing the whole suspension set-up is proving a puzzler. Unless we lose the BTCC front legs and use Vauxhall road parts converted to take the BTCC damper units?

It's really just an idea and I'm trying to see how feasible parts of it are.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 04:58 (Ref:1765503)   #7
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Why do you want to change them?
They are heavier, for a start, they are not as strong, they have a lot more problems with cross threading, parts are more expensive and wear faster, less likely to locate the wheel as well...
But they are really quick to get on an off.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1765668)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cavalier. Currently a rolling shell, should be easy enough to find an engine and 'box to fit, but we'd be down-sizing wheels and brakes to meet a certain set of regs - centre-lock wheels are also not allowed. I'm fairly confident about the engine, 'box and being able to mount the smaller brakes, but losing the centre-locks without changing the whole suspension set-up is proving a puzzler. Unless we lose the BTCC front legs and use Vauxhall road parts converted to take the BTCC damper units?

Teej, what year is the car,I was with Mallocks 94/95, if its one of those cars ,you got problems!Is it one of the cars with a large "transmsion" tunnle? - that was for the reversed head configuration,so a standard engine??

Last edited by terence; 14 Nov 2006 at 09:34.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1765756)   #9
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Hi Terence - you have PM.

It's a '93 car. I think they were standard arrangement, or is that not correct?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1766474)   #10
DAE
Rookie

DAE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The '93 RML car was the first to have the reversed head, the '92 modified cooke car had a standard head.
Back to the wheel fixing, if I remember correct the '93 RML car had the drive pegs in the wheels. (We actually drew up both pegs in the wheels and in the axles, but I cant remember which one we made.) Make yourself some threaded studs out of steel en16T which fit in the existing axles, and get some new wheels which fit the location on the axle and the studs.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1766496)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
93RML car? The 93 was built by Cooks, it was only ran by RML.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1767053)   #12
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
After seeing some photos, I'm inclined to think this is a '92 Ecurie Ecosse car - so one of the '91 works Vauxhall cars (built by DCRS).

DAE's suggestion seems promising. I think this will end up being a reshell project, if needed at some time soon, rather than something for this winter.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1767088)   #13
DAE
Rookie

sorry to disagree terence but '92 was the modified cook car as I was working during the day at tickfords converting a car for ford of austrailia, then driving up to RML at the farm yard and working on the design of the modifications to
the cook car at night.
Then in '93 I was working at RML fulltime until july on the new carvalier and the nissan for south africa. I remember it too well as I was doing 80 hour weeks excluding race weekends...
'94 was when graham humpries was involved with the design and cooks had lost the vauxhall deal to RML.

Back on topic, if you have the cook car, (the gearshift was mounted on the floor with the fuel tank under the boot skin in an alloy honeycomb box and had bilstein struts and dampers, the '93 car was on dynamics).
I would reshell it as we had problems with the shell cracking next to the rear suspension pickup points on the cage (the car had been acid dipped with the cage in it).
Again on the '92 car we always had problems with the front wheel bearings as basically they were too small for the loads being applied. We got hold of some trick grease which helped.
Have fun
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1767180)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If I am wrong then I apologise but Evan Stone always told me that the car they were still running [94] was indeed a Cook car ,80hrs,?those were the days!!
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1767417)   #15
DAE
Rookie

The cook car arrived at the start of '92. Jeff Kingston drew up new suspension before the start of the season and left after a few races. I joined and drew up a new fuel system (to lower cog) and a few other bits and pieces. The '92 car was used to try out and develop ideas for '93.
For '93 a cavalier was chosen after torsion testing a cav and a belmont.
The Xtrac sequencial gearbox was developed with RML, we had a wooden gearbox case as a mock up. Swindon produced the reversed head to get good airflow into the intakes and a good exhaust run. We started to design and build the racecars in january and made the first race in march with only one car. Working from 8 to 8 were the normal hours, try explaining that to the girlfriend.
Evan Stone wasn't around in those years, in fact I went round his house one night to teach him how to drive autocad. He then went and got a job as a cad jockey at RML.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1767459)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Interesting, thanks for that Dae.When I joined in 94 Evan was a W/S-Staff manager.

Last edited by terence; 16 Nov 2006 at 08:59.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1769844)   #17
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Have you a list of previous owners, as i know a bloke who had a cavalier tc and converted to mod prod spec ie. stud fixing instead of centre lock
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1769899)   #18
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Sorry Andy, I don't know who owned it before the current owner, who bought it as spares for his car, but it's built by a different company and bits aren't interchangeable.

Thanks again to DAE and Terry, who's help has been pretty invaluable in figuring out what would work and what wouldn't. It seems there's two ways of getting the car running - use the bare shell as the only touring car part and use everything else from the astra (or other "standard" vauxhall parts), or rebuild it to it's last running spec ie sequential box, dampers reconditioned etc. Neither is practical right now, so i'll be saving the thought of it as a rainy-day project for when I get sideways in that damn paddock hill gravel trap and need a reshell.

Andy - how did he do it?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1770677)   #19
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i can rember, he used vauxhall carlton components