Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Jan 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1209361)   #1
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
A1 GP first round date change

according to a story on pitpass http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23352

JP and the Sheikh have come to their senses about the date clash with the Goodwood revival meeting etc (although they don't say as much).

New A1 GP date @ Brands will be weekend of 25th September. Guess I have my problem solved.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1209365)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh !

Just filled in (And posted) my form back to Mildred for this event!

As the new date is my Daughters 5th Birthday AND our wedding anniversary, me thinks I will not be coming to play!

Last edited by bella; 26 Jan 2005 at 14:09. Reason: autocensor dodge...
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1209377)   #3
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woohoo!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1209388)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
as you say Mark -

but the little one's birthday must come first - wedding anniversary celebration is however optional after 2 years

does this mean you'll try your hand at venturing as far south as Goodwood then?
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1209398)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodwood doesn't interest me in the slightest - and I know I haven't been so I don't know etc.

However, I am keen to try to make the effort to visit Brands this year - not for a major event - but a BRSCC SE clubbie or something.....if you'll have me!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1209412)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
25th? Knackers! Already got a clash that date with SEMSEC and Rallycross.

18th would have been fine.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1209419)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Actually the press release on the MSV website says that is exactly why the date has been changed, to avoid clashing with Goodwood.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1209431)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, I am moving this thread to National and International Single Seaters where it will attrack a wider audience. I will leave a redirect here though for those who have already contributed...

Stephen.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1209451)   #9
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
25th? Knackers! Already got a clash that date with SEMSEC and Rallycross.

18th would have been fine.
Same date as GP2 in Bahrain and GP in Brasil. Not good. take note JP and SM!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1209458)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
Same date as GP2 in Bahrain and GP in Brasil. Not good. take note JP and SM!
I don't think JP would have really worried too much about events taking place outside the UK!

JP and Sheik Whatsisface have seen sense by avoiding the clash with Goodwood (And Silverstone?) which would have: 1: had an impact (Possibly) on the number of available officials able to attend and 2: (From a Business way of thinking) reduced number of "Punters" paying to visit Brands.

By revising the date, many more people will be able to get their fix of both major UK motorsport events plus MSV will be financially better off as well.

Personally, if Motor sport venues are making more money, then I like to think in the long run it's benefits me as a Marshal.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1209460)   #11
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This change would appear to have wiped out the MGCC meeting which was scheduled for that date!!

Sad.

Peter Scillitoe
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1209462)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Bradrive, take a look at the press release on the MSV website www.motorsportvision.co.uk and you will see that in fact it doesn't clash with Brazil as the races there don't start until 18.00 UK time!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1209533)   #13
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
As the new date is my Daughters 5th Birthday AND our wedding anniversary, me thinks I will not be coming to play!
Sounds to me like the perfect anniversary and birthday gift rolled into one. Wife and child are bound to have a terrific day, surely.

Alternatively, drop 'em off at Bluewater with your credit cards for the day.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1209579)   #14
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Bradrive, take a look at the press release on the MSV website www.motorsportvision.co.uk and you will see that in fact it doesn't clash with Brazil as the races there don't start until 18.00 UK time!
There may have been people from GP2 that were interested in working in A1GP during the winter...
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1209583)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
18th also clashed with DTM at Avignon.Which is how DTM crept into this thread-non-avaliability of DTM drivers for A1GP.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1209587)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
Sounds to me like the perfect anniversary and birthday gift rolled into one. Wife and child are bound to have a terrific day, surely.

Alternatively, drop 'em off at Bluewater with your credit cards for the day.

I like the idea!! (Well first one anyway!!)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1209827)   #17
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again a small Club has been kicked in the teeth by the "Big Boys".

The weekend of September 24/25th had been allocated to the MG Car Club for their end of season meeting at Brands Hatch with many of the Clubs Championships reaching their conclusion.

This change of date may be pleasing to lots of people, but it has now given the MG Car Club an enormous problem in trying to rearrange their 2005 programme as the various Championships had finalised their programme. Never mind the great expense that this will cost the Club. Did I hear something recently sounding something like "We want to encourage Club Racing at our Venues".

I will not say any more at the moment, my temper and frustrations need to cool, but when our problems have been sorted out, I will post the changes that have been forced upon us.

I should point out that this is my own posting and is not in any shape or form an Official Statement of the MG Car Club.

John Watson
Old 25 Jan 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1209828)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can understand your frustration, John, but this decision was always going to happen and someone was always going to lose out.

With all due respect, if Brands Hatch had lost out on the A1GP meeting, the consequences would have been bigger.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1210279)   #19
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
With all due respect, if Brands Hatch had lost out on the A1GP meeting, the consequences would have been bigger.
But that wasn't going to happen, it had a date already!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1210306)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
But that wasn't going to happen, it had a date already!
But for MSV it makes more commercial sense to have it on the revised date - it is a business!

However, perhaps Mr Palmer may be able to make a goodwill payment to the MGCC to cover their costs in changing the calendar?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1210318)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the MGCC sent a letter to Sheik Makthoum explaining their frustration, you never know where it might lead.

Worth a try!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1210329)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps an MGCC Invitation race on the support bill?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1210336)   #23
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Perhaps an MGCC Invitation race on the support bill?
No offence but this is going to be a major international meeting. Putting the MGCC on the support bill, however entertaining they might be will just dilute this.

Remember the April F3 meeting at Silverstone last year? I know the weather was **** but for a major national race meeting the support races were hardly top notch and this was reflected in both the crowd size and the many comments I've read in the publications about it. I think it was voted in motorsportnews' top 10 disappointments of 2004 due to both the weather and the support cast.

i've nothing against clubby racing, it just doesn't in the main interest me and major international and national meetings need top notch, professional run championships not the clubbies.

I'd agree entirely with Mr Palmer or the arab geezer dipping their hands in their very deep pockets and helping the MGCC out though.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1210338)   #24
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I was being slightly tongue in cheek...

But if you're saying that the MGCC isn't capable of professionally running its championships, I'm sure there are plenty that would like to take exception!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1210340)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I'd agree entirely with Mr Palmer or the arab geezer....

Surely he deserves the respect of his name too.....