Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1046646)   #1
JnrJnr
Racer

England
North West
JnrJnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth - jensons helmet

So what do we believe?

Was it a loose strap - strange for a strap to come loose like that if it was.

Was it a ill fitting visor?

Was jenson trying to open the visor for more cooling?

All these excuses were put forward by itv commentary and interviews. Personally i think the original explanation was the correct whereby the new bell helmets visor housing was not clipped in.

Seemed like BAR back tracked that one a bit to save face for Bell. Any thoughts?
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1046654)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looked like a visor problem to me. It was popping up when he let go of it.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1046656)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Easy. In the press conference Jenson said it was the strap and he was holding the helmet in place.

The team hadn't spoken to Jenson so didn't know. The commentators were trying to guess. Which is their job.

Last edited by Adam43; 25 Jul 2004 at 14:11.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1046661)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough. But I hope it doesn't get the FIA into penalty mode.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1046669)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was as big a deal as people are going to make it on here - and I most certainly don't think Jacques had anything to do with it.

It happens that your strap comes loose occasionally.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1046707)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say the theories being put forward were "possible explanations" rather than "excuses" as some suggest.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1046742)   #7
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
maybe his head has gotten too big??
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1046747)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it was too big it would have stayed in place.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1046793)   #9
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i have to agree with JnrJnr's comments on this one. Image is everything these days and a helmet supplier cannot afford to look that bad in F1.

Very strange for a stap to come undone during a race.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1046794)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem he had with his helmet just added extra merit to his performance as it can't be easy driving an F1 car one handed.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1046889)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
It happens that your strap comes loose occasionally.
Er. I've done a few long distance races and it hasn't happened to me. So I think you may be a little off base there. I still think it was a visor problem (remember the brake dust thing?) and the camera cuts to the pits showed them thinking of taping the rip offs down.

But I have to repeat. What a complete star! One handed and still made every corner!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1046893)   #12
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked as if he was on the mobile down the straights.

And who said that driving whilst on the phone is dangerous
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1046894)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1046895)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
On my Bell helmet one of the securing bolts for the visor used to vibrate loose and fall out during a race, in the end I had to loctite it in. Not saying this was the problem but if it is a new design it may have some sort of fault.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1046899)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I use an Italian helmet.

But you appear to agree with me that it was a visor problem, not a strap thingy.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1046911)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I use an Italian helmet.

But you appear to agree with me that it was a visor problem, not a strap thingy.
Yes, I can't see how a strap can work loose and the position of his hand points more to a visor problem. But whatever it was, my hat goes off to him for his performance today and maybe it just shows that he is an excellent driver and a future champion.

edited, too much wine and bad spelling

Last edited by Tim Falce; 25 Jul 2004 at 18:53.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:51 (Ref:1046912)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I use an Italian helmet.

Which is funny given that Jenson said in the post-race press conference that he'd had problems because his helmet strap had come loose.

The team were playing around with the tape because they thought he had a visor problem but they didn't speak to Jenson on the radio about it. As told by David Richards in a post-race interview.

I've had problems on my motorbike before - when it's very windy and you've not done the strap up as tightly as it should be your moving around and the wind-lift conspire to loosen your strap even more. Not a problem when you're going at 60 though.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1046915)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he had a problem with the strap, he really should have stopped. The consequences if he'd had a Kimi style incident could have been terrible.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1046917)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Q: We saw you on the camera playing with your helmet quite a lot on the side there. What was the problem?

JB: The team initially thought it was a visor but it wasn’t, it was the strap under the helmet was a little bit loose and the problem is then that when the helmet is loose it lifts up slightly and it was really catching on my throat and it made it really very difficult to breathe so I had to hold it on every straight to keep it down so that I could get some air in.
From FIA website.

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/1971/725.html

Last edited by Logrence; 25 Jul 2004 at 18:54.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1046919)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Ok, it was a little bit loose. Hopefully there was no danger of it coming off.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1046921)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
my hat goes off to him for his performance today and maybe it just shows that he is an excellent driver and a future champion.
Ditto.