Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Jun 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3741344)   #1
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
50th Anniversary for Dan Gurney

Sunday, June 18, 2017 will mark the 50th anniversary of Dan Gurney's victory in the 1967 Belgian GP, at Spa-Francorchamps. Chances are remote that it will duplicated. How many of us who were there are still kickin', please share your recollections?
Old 14 Jun 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3741350)   #2
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[IMG]
Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:43 (Ref:3741493)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So if my math is correct, this victory came one week after Dan and AJ won overall at Le Mans. Not a bad couple of weeks for Dan "The Man".

I wasn't yet an itch, but have read plenty of Gurney from his F1 days and have a picture of him in an F1 Porsche to my immediate right as I type this. Until recently, he was my aviator as well.

Just a great American and one of the best to come from the colonies in all forms of motor racing.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3741643)   #4
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
Yes, your math is correct, Dan was flush from his victory at Le Mans. In taking a look at the photo of Dan exiting La Source you'll see a black strip covered with oil dry, that's the oil that was dropped from Surtees' Honda when it blew up, on the opening lap. As Surtees coasted around La Source oil and metal debris could be seen, everywhere; one of the other photographers (obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed) ran out on the track (an active racing circuit!) and grabbed a chunk of crankcase (I guess as a keepsake), not thinking how hot it was, screamed and threw it up in the air. We just shook our heads in disbelief. The gendarme that was standing nearby was not pleased, and had a chat with our friend; don't know whether he retrieved the metal chunk. Today, I think that location is inaccessible to the press.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3758417)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So if my math is correct, this victory came one week after Dan and AJ won overall at Le Mans. Not a bad couple of weeks for Dan "The Man".

Don't forget that prior to Spa and LeMans that year that Anthony Joseph won the Indy 500, so he and Dan both had an amazing few weeks that year.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3741660)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Gurney quite rightly the only man Jim Clark ever feared, a case of what might have been. Certainly if he stayed at Brabham he would probably have been a double world champion, but he did really well in setting up his own team, racing it and then winning in it
Old 3 Aug 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3757224)   #7
celes1
Racer

England
Kensington, London and W/Sussex.
celes1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Gurney in HMA images.

I came across some rare 1950's images of Dan Gurney on the Race Retro trade stand for the HMA Historic Motorsports Archive, he was an excellent driver and respected by many of us.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3758606)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Dan Gurney was first timer and inventor in a lot of things. Gave Porsche, Brabham and Eagle their first F1 win. Also invented the Gurney flap, became the first driver to race with a full face helmet and of course started the tradition of spraying champagne on the podium
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3758892)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Dan Gurney was first timer and inventor in a lot of things. Gave Porsche, Brabham and Eagle their first F1 win. Also invented the Gurney flap, became the first driver to race with a full face helmet and of course started the tradition of spraying champagne on the podium
Legend without doubt. Could he also be described as an innovator?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 04:05 (Ref:3762829)   #10
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This may or may not be a bit late, but certainly back in July, there was a tremendous display celebrating AAR Eagles at the Petersen Museum in Hollywood.

Graham Hill sprayed the Champagne back in 1966, (Australia) but it wasn't publicised as much as Dan Gurney's spray.

Last edited by socram; 30 Aug 2017 at 04:11.