Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2343376)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt
But in 2008 they made it clear that without Audi in the LMS, there wasn't many reasons to do a full season.

My friend... i hope your right, but... i'm a bit pessimistic about this if it gets confirmed
True, but that's when diesel's had a large advantage, it may depend on what the likes of Charouz etc show up with.

No one knows the diesel/petrol performance differential.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2343377)   #27
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I am quite hopefull that Audi North America and Champion Racing can find sponsoring to run at least 1 R10. I would love to see the R10 in the Champion livery.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2343378)   #28
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Thinking about it, I'm not as worried for LMS as I am for ALMS. LMS still has a strong privateer-base, but if the founding for ALMS doesn't work out for Audi, the impact on American prototype racing will be brutal... No battle in LMP1, a very slim 3-4 car LMP2 field and 17 or 18 cars overall, if the Bear is right with his predictions.
ASNA has flatly stated they have a contract for 09' and 10' and will be there.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2343379)   #29
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Thinking about it, I'm not as worried for LMS as I am for ALMS. LMS still has a strong privateer-base, but if the founding for ALMS doesn't work out for Audi, the impact on American prototype racing will be brutal... No battle in LMP1, a very slim 3-4 car LMP2 field and 17 or 18 cars overall, if the Bear is right with his predictions.
With all my respect to the American fans, that deserves all my consideration, i'm more worried with what is going on in my back door (I'm portuguese so... my back door is my beloved Europe )... i don´t like this 2 separate championship model.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2343382)   #30
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
No one knows the diesel/petrol performance differential.
well... you have a point there!
Old 28 Nov 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2343398)   #31
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I expect that Audi will run a similar program like in 2006, when they made the transition from R8 to R10:
  • participate in Sebring with the R15
  • beginning of ALMS season with R10
  • Le Mans with R15
  • rest of ALMS season (after Le Mans) perhaps with R15
Old 28 Nov 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2343432)   #32
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with LEMANS.PTand others, if Audi not going to LMS, PEUGEOT probably will not stay,
but in the other hand is possible their test is 908 Hybrid to 2010...

if they not go to ALMS Acura will not have competition... is dificult to say what they are thinking now...

I hope Aston Martin and Jaguar come faster... to LMP1
Old 28 Nov 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2343475)   #33
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba
I agree with LEMANS.PTand others, if Audi not going to LMS, PEUGEOT probably will not stay,
but in the other hand is possible their test is 908 Hybrid to 2010...

if they not go to ALMS Acura will not have competition... is dificult to say what they are thinking now...

I hope Aston Martin and Jaguar come faster... to LMP1
We all know Aston Martin's P1 program is on hold for now... Until we have reason to believe it's back on, I'm not even going to consider it.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2343549)   #34
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot wait to see the R15 in action..Sad though Audi may not be in LMS but at least Le Mans for sure and Sebring 2009.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2343618)   #35
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite excited about the R15, suposedly it will be quite revolutionary. I think it will have a V8 TDI, because any other option would only be good for two years.

But I am not sure if ACO rules for 09 will give the 3.7 V8 diesel the same power as a 5.5 liter V12 diesel.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 01:07 (Ref:2343634)   #36
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Audi aren't going to to LMS I'd rather have Peugeot not to do it as well. Would make the race for P1 overall a lot more exciting (can ayone say Oreca Courage's vs Pesca's vs Lola coupe's?). Now if Audi doesn't make it for the full season as a factory team in the ALMS (I'd expect them to pop up at Sebring & PLM at the very least), what are the chances we'd see a private/semi-private Champion effort?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2343647)   #37
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I expect that the Audi R15 will look alot different than the r10 because the R10 is very conservative in terms of aerodynamics. There are no real edges to the R10. The R15 has lots of room for improvement. Two very agressive looking cars are the Acura LMP2 and Puegot 908. The Porsche RS Spyder is a bit conservative like the R10. This time i hope the R15 is agressive and actually looks good because the R10 is not the best i've seen by far . The Acura LMP2 was the best looking Sports in the 2008 compared to all the other cars in ALMS,LMS. I'll take one anyday
Old 29 Nov 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2343651)   #38
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any word on how many cylinders, V8 would be standard with the new rules? If it is, I'm sure the turn-in would be much improved with a shortened chassis and may make it be able to handle some of the street circuit corners a little better, if it's ALMS only bound.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2343939)   #39
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Any word on how many cylinders, V8 would be standard with the new rules? If it is, I'm sure the turn-in would be much improved with a shortened chassis and may make it be able to handle some of the street circuit corners a little better, if it's ALMS only bound.
I heard some rumours of a 4.4l V10, though I can't remember where from.

Either way I suspect it will be a stepping stone to the 2011 rules which are 3.7l twinturbo 8 cylinders maximum diesel in P1.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2343954)   #40
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Why? In 2007 they raced without Audi. It is a good opportunity to test the 908 HY in competition.
So are Peugeot going to compete with their 908 HY this year, meaning they will not be classified? I think I'm missing something here.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:43 (Ref:2344076)   #41
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
If Audi aren't going to to LMS I'd rather have Peugeot not to do it as well. Would make the race for P1 overall a lot more exciting (can ayone say Oreca Courage's vs Pesca's vs Lola coupe's?). Now if Audi doesn't make it for the full season as a factory team in the ALMS (I'd expect them to pop up at Sebring & PLM at the very least), what are the chances we'd see a private/semi-private Champion effort?
Just like every ALMs race except Sebring in 2008, you mean?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2344171)   #42
FKWD
Subscriber
Rookie

FKWD has a real shot at the championship!FKWD has a real shot at the championship!FKWD has a real shot at the championship!FKWD has a real shot at the championship!FKWD has a real shot at the championship!FKWD has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Just like every ALMs race except Sebring in 2008, you mean?
Sorry TWK, but I think that is not correct: Champion Racing again became a factory team in 2008 (like 2006 / 2007) to run the Audi Sport North America programme. I guess what Jimmy Magnusson indicates would be something along the lines of 2005 with the R8?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2344215)   #43
Kiki
Rookie

Kiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FKWD is right - the funding came directly from Audi, not Champion's sponsors. I could see Champion running the R10 as a factory assisted team (like Penske and the Acura squads that recieve a large part of their funding from title sponsors) while Joest concentrating on prepping and racing the R15 at Sebring and Le Mans but with the current financial sitation, nothing is for sure.

Except that Audi has committed to the ALMS and will run SOMETHING.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2344235)   #44
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it just takes to look at the livery
Old 1 Dec 2008, 03:00 (Ref:2344604)   #45
Kiki
Rookie

Kiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but that's MONTHS away!

Aslak Vind, your profile photo of Hank is my all-time favorite!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2344870)   #46
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
We all know Aston Martin's P1 program is on hold for now... Until we have reason to believe it's back on, I'm not even going to consider it.
Jaguar/Land Rover are laying off all non staff engineers, and offering voluntary separation to reduce their direct headcount, right now. I somehow don't see a Jaguar LMP of any kind for the next 3 years. Not until they post some black ink in the accounts. I think Tata will keep them going, but won't spend on 'frivolity' like motor racing...
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2345205)   #47
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks as if all of you who predicted that the R15 would debut at Sebring were correct. Here is the link: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=5037

DK
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2345214)   #48
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite announcing it on Friday was anyone still doubting it?
Old 2 Dec 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2345585)   #49
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Despite announcing it on Friday was anyone still doubting it?
No, six months ago Audi said that the R10 would be pensioned off. So I cant really see the surprise..?
Old 7 Dec 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2349605)   #50
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mariantic point out Sportscar Pro's say the R15 has a 2011 compliant 3.7 TDI.

If correct, we know the ACO wish to see 2011 cars early, BUT, how would this car be competitive with the Peugeot, assuming they haven't switched?

IF Audi are running a 2011 engine, what sense is there for Acura to run anything but the P2 V8 in their new car in the ALMS.

I guess a lot depends on what size the 2011 restrictors are, a 2011 spec V8 could be anything upto 80bhp more potent than the 2008 P2's.