Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Mar 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2644759)   #76
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good piece of detective work. I just wondered where these Astras ended up. Rally cars, modified saloons, storage or something completely different?

Jesper
Old 4 Mar 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2645035)   #77
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Good piece of detective work. I just wondered where these Astras ended up. Rally cars, modified saloons, storage or something completely different?

Jesper
Good question- Vauxhall don't appear to have one themselves, as the one they've shown at various events in recent years is clearly a dressed-up road car....
http://autotraderblog.files.wordpres.../10/btcc_9.jpg
Old 4 Mar 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2645049)   #78
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Good question- Vauxhall don't appear to have one themselves, as the one they've shown at various events in recent years is clearly a dressed-up road car....
http://autotraderblog.files.wordpres.../10/btcc_9.jpg
I wouldn't be surprised if John Cleland's got his '89 car locked away somewhere!

The other 2 cars probably went off track?

There was a fairly modified GT/E in modprods IIRC not long after. Could it have been one of them?
Old 6 Mar 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2646119)   #79
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really is a dressed up roadcar, complete with sunroof.....

I remember reading in one of the Vauxhall Autosport supplements, that they used the Astra as a testbed for the Cavalier's engine in the pre-season of 1990.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2649804)   #80
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I remember reading in one of the Vauxhall Autosport supplements, that they used the Astra as a testbed for the Cavalier's engine in the pre-season of 1990.
Yeah I seem to recall that as well. 300 odd horses through the litle fwd Astra must've been a bit of handful!! The Super touring engine was about 100hp more than the Group A lump wasn't it?

So there were 4 DCRS run cars in '89 in the end then? 2 pukka circuit cars and 2 rally cars converted. Would be interesting to know how these cars differed in build and spec to the DTM Kadett's from the same period.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2649862)   #81
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Astras ran with 220-230 (group A rally figures), and the early "ST" engines weren't that near to 300. - those figures came much later.

The Astra was only 100kg or so lighter than the Cavalier, might have been less in race trim depending on what the group A weight limit was.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2649907)   #82
Jesper OH
Veteran

From a 1988 DTM preview I have figures for the Opel Kadett GSi 16V telling of 267 bhp to 814 kgs. For the German series the Kadetts were allowed to breathe a little easier and running less weight than their Group A cousins - I have heard similar 220-230 bhp, although the oppositions thought is was more than that, and a minimum FIA Group A weight of 860 kgs for 2.0 litre cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the DTM cars ran wider rims as well, but haven't found any figures for either the DTM or BTCC cars.

Jesper
Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2650291)   #83
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yeah I seem to recall that as well. 300 odd horses through the litle fwd Astra must've been a bit of handful!! The Super touring engine was about 100hp more than the Group A lump wasn't it?

So there were 4 DCRS run cars in '89 in the end then? 2 pukka circuit cars and 2 rally cars converted. Would be interesting to know how these cars differed in build and spec to the DTM Kadett's from the same period.
AFAIK just 3 cars:
1:- RHD race car, started the season with Cleland- possibly then passed on to Louise Aitken-Walker mid-season

2:- LHD rally car- started the season with Louise Aitken-Walker, still in rally team colours, like this one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howiendlynne/4112751741/
IIRC at first using adapted tarmac rally-spec suspension, including 5-stud hubs and white (OZ or Speedline?) rally wheels.
Later fitted with full race-spec suspension etc, then passed on to Jeremy Rossiter once Louise had got a 'proper' race car. From the evidence of this pic
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag..._800.jpg1..jpg
it seems to have been reliveried to match the other two cars by the end of the season.

3:- RHD race car. Debuted mid-season- Either used by Cleland, with LA-W getting his original car, or LA-W getting the new car
Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2650300)   #84
KA
Veteran

Quote:
From a 1988 DTM preview I have figures for the Opel Kadett GSi 16V telling of 267 bhp to 814 kgs. For the German series the Kadetts were allowed to breathe a little easier and running less weight than their Group A cousins - I have heard similar 220-230 bhp, although the oppositions thought is was more than that, and a minimum FIA Group A weight of 860 kgs for 2.0 litre cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the DTM cars ran wider rims as well, but haven't found any figures for either the DTM or BTCC cars.

Jesper
Hard to draw any conclusions on wheel sizes from pics, but

DTM
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/510700/dthe.jpg
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/510700/dh.jpg

BTCC
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag..._astra_90b.jpg

A clearer look at the rally-type wheels that appear to have been used on Louise A-W's early season ex-rallycar- apparently made by OZ
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag...0531143701.jpg
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2657673)   #85
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a track test in Autosport at the end of '90 - the Cavaliers had been running around 270bhp that season. Swindon were very hush-hush about the engine spec.

The Prodrive M3s, as comparison, were putting out 265bhp, and suffered more from the 8500rpm rev limit.

I haven't read all of the article yet, but if anyone wants a copy then PM me with email address and I'll scan and email it.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2657706)   #86
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Concerning the Kadett, you can find some figures here for the 1989 version:
http://www.dlg.speedfreaks.org/archi...autos/4069.php
More Opel here: http://www.dlg.speedfreaks.org/archi.../opel/opel.php

I had one myself (not a DTM version obviously): nice car in a straight line (over 220 kph) but little else...
Old 17 Apr 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2674510)   #87
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise for my laziness, I am keen to help out and plug in any gaps. I don't have much time to go through the whole thread, but could anyone point out which race results that need completing or filling in?

I got 1986-1990 Motoring News newspapers and I got it with me now. Thank you.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:13 (Ref:2676342)   #88
Jesper OH
Veteran

Missing from the 1989 results:

R01 1989.03.24 Oulton Park
Fastest lap times, except for fastest in class + elapsed times for lapped drivers. Doubts as to weather Laurence Bristow and Nettan Lindgren was running at the finish, both supposed to have completed 17 laps.

R04 1989.05.07 Donington Park
John Morris/Barrie Williams quoted for the same 1:21.16 time for both qualifying and fastest race lap - is that correct?

R07 1989.07.16 Silverstone
Grid positions and times beyond 14th missing. Fastest lap missing for the same drivers for which grid positions are missing. Laps and elapsed times missing from 17th and down.

R08 1989.07.23 Brands Hatch
Overall race position, laps, grid and fastest laps missing for:
John Clark
Alan Minshaw
Geoff Kimber-Smith
Tony Crudgington
Ian Forrest (DNS in re-start)
Godfrey Hall (DNS in re-start)
Dave Brodie (DNS)
It's possible there were other drivers present so far not spotted.

R09 1989.08.06 Snetterton
Positions beyond 19th overall missing. Qualifying and fastest lap times missing for these drivers as well. At least three unknown RS500s started from positions 11, 12 and 18!

R10 1989.08.20 Brands Hatch
Positions beyond 16th overall missing. Qualifying and fastest lap times missing for these drivers as well.

R11 1989.08.28 Birmingham
Fastest race lap missing for:
Louise Aitken-Walker
Jeremy Rossiter
John Morris
Les Liddiard
Mike Newman
John Clark
Nettan Lindgren
Tony Crudgington

R12 1989.09.17 Donington Park
Positions beyond 15th missing. So does grid positions, qualifying times and fastest laps for the same drivers.

R13 1989.10.08 Silverstone
Positions beyond 15th missing. Otherwise the same ? as for the previous round.

The Silverstone GP support race is the dividing race in terms of reasonable complete results.

Jesper
Old 25 May 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2697774)   #89
KA
Veteran

Continuing the task of pulling the entry lists together. I;ve included the Donington 2nd drivers, but will leave out which races the various one-offs appeared at...

Class A

NoDriverDonington codriverTeam/EntrantSponsorCarNotes
1Andy RouseWin PercyRouse EngineeringKaliber+Sunday ExpressFord Sierra RS500Entrant appeared as 'Kaliber Ford' in programmes
2Jerry MahonyGary AylesRoger DowsonArquati+Evans HalshawFord Sierra RS500 
3Mike NewmanAlistair LyallGraham GoodeListerineFord Sierra RS500 
4Graham GoodeMike NewmanGraham GoodeListerineFord Sierra RS500 
5Sean WalkerDamon HillGraham GoodeFAI Automotive+Moss SecurityFord Sierra RS500 
6Lawrence BristowTiff NeedellRouse EngineeringLabatt'sFord Sierra RS500 
7Tim HarveyDavid SearsRouse EngineeringLabatt'sFord Sierra RS500 
7Tomas Mezera Rouse EngineeringLabatt'sFord Sierra RS500 
9Mark Rennison RennisonShell+SkippersFord Sierra RS500Entrant sometimes appeared on entry lists as 'Front Row Publicity'. Sponsors may have varied
10Guy EdwardsJohnny DumfriesKaliber+Sunday ExpressFord Sierra RS500Entrant appeared as 'Kaliber Ford' in race programmes 
14Graham HathawayDave WallisGraham HathawaySoans Ford Leamington SpaFord Sierra RS500 
15Chris HodgettsDavid LeslieBrooklynShellFord Sierra RS500 
16Dave PinkneyGraham ScarboroughTerry Drury RacingWarranty HoldingsFord Sierra RS500 
16Jon Dooley Terry Drury Racing Ford Sierra RS500 
17Mike O'Brien Terry Drury RacingSwan NationalFord Sierra RS500 
18Robin DonovanMike O'BrienTerry Drury RacingBlue Hawk Home Improvement Products+JJ PropertiesFord Sierra RS500 
18Andrew Hepworth Terry Drury RacingFord Sierra RS500  
19Dave BrodieAndrew Gilbert-ScottBrodie-Brittain Racing Ford Sierra RS500 
20Mike SmithMike WildsTrakstarCartel+NEC+ShellFord Sierra RS500 
20Will Hoy TrakstarCartel+NEC+ShellFord Sierra RS500 
21Robb GravettJeff AllamTrakstarCartel+NEC+ShellFord Sierra RS500 
25Gerrit van KouwenPierre DieudonneJQF EngineeringFina UnleadedFord Sierra RS500 
25Chris Hodgetts JQF EngineeringFina UnleadedFord Sierra RS500 
26Tomas Mezera Trident MotorsportNokia-Mobira+CampariMaserati Biturbo 
26Nick May Trident MotorsportNokia-Mobira+CampariMaserati Biturbo 
26Vic Lee Trident MotorsportNokia-Mobira+CampariMaserati Biturbo 
28Karl JonesVic LeeAsquith AutosportDuckhams QXRFord Sierra RS500 
??Kaj Bornebusch Bornebusch Racing Ford Sierra RS500 
Old 25 May 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2697786)   #90
KA
Veteran

Class B

NoDriverDonington CoDriverTeam/EntrantSponsorsCarNotes
30James Kaye Demon TweeksDemon Tweeks+BilsomBMW M3 
30Barrie Williams Demon TweeksDemon Tweeks+BilsomBMW M3 
30Alan Minshaw Demon TweeksDemon Twees+BilsomBMW M3 
31John ClarkAndrew JeffreyJohn MaguireJohn Clark BMWBMW M3 
32Frank SytnerWill HoyProdriveBMW Finance+Mobil 1BMW M3 
33James WeaverSteve SoperProdriveBMW Finance+Mobil 1BMW M3 
35Ian ForrestBernard HunterForrestNovafone+DrambuieBMW M3had technical support from Prodrive?
37Nettan Lindgen Lindgren?BMW M3think Nettan's sponsors varied from race to race?
43Godfrey HallLionel AbbottJohn MaguireGodfrey Hall BMW CoventryBMW M3 
45John LlewellynGerry MarshallBRR Motorsport BMW M3 
Old 25 May 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2697791)   #91
KA
Veteran

Class C

50Alan MinshawJohn BrindleyDemon TweeksCatrol TXT+Demon TweeksVW Golf GTi 16v 
53Mike JordanPeter TysonTeam Eurotech Peugeot 309GTi 
55John MorrisBarrie WilliamsListers of CoventryListersVW Golf GTi 16v 
55John Morris Demon TweeksCastrol TXT+Demon TweeksVW Golf GTi 16vleased the Minshaw Golf after his own was shunted late season
56John ClelandIan FluxDCRSVauxhall+Mobil 1Vauxhall Astra GT/E 
57Jeremy Rossiter DCRSVauxhall+Mobil 1+SpaxVauxhall Astra GT/Etook over Louise Aitken-Walker's ex-rallycar from mid-season
58Louise Aitken-WalkerVince WoodmanDCRSVauxhall+Mobil 1Vauxhall Astra GT/Estarted season with ex-rally car, race car from mid-year
?Tony Lanfranchi Monorep Vauxhall Astra GT/EProdsaloon
Old 25 May 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2697799)   #92
KA
Veteran

Class D

70Phil DowsettMark GoddardDowsett Toyota Corolla AE82entered by 'Rayscar' from mid-season. Early-season entrant sometimes listed as 'PDR-Toyota'?
75Ray Armes Graham GoodePG TagsHonda Civic Si 
77Geoff Kimber-SmithBarbara CowellFive-Star Racing?Toyota Corolla GT AE86not sure of the sponsors- I've got a photo from Brands late season of a plain white car carrying a couple of 'Dianetics' decals
77Mark Goddard Five-Star Racing Toyota Corolla GT AE86 
81Tony Dolley DolleyWembdon MotorsToyota Corolla AE82 
85Les LiddiardSteve KingLiddiard Toyota Corolla AE82Entered by 'Rayscar' from mid-season
88Tony CrudgingtonChuck NicholsonCrudgington Toyota Corolla GT AE86 
Old 25 May 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2698055)   #93
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:

R11 1989.08.28 Birmingham
Fastest race lap missing for:
Louise Aitken-Walker
Jeremy Rossiter
John Morris
Les Liddiard
Mike Newman
John Clark
Nettan Lindgren
Tony Crudgington
Jesper
I will a look tonight or later this week.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2935369)   #94
KA
Veteran

Just picking this up after a very long break- finally found a pic of Tony Lanfranchi's Monrep prodsaloon Astra doing occasional BTCC duty to keep the Class C numbers up so Cleland could score full points for the class win...
This is Brands, August 1989, car #63
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard...dentouringcars
Old 8 Aug 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2937083)   #95
Richard G Hilsden
Rookie

Richard G Hilsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thank you for your link to my pictures
Old 8 Aug 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2937324)   #96
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G Hilsden View Post
Have you got anything from the Birmingham Superprix? Just wondering.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2939291)   #97
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G Hilsden View Post
Great to see them Richard- you've caught some of the cars that are usually fairly difficult to find pics of online- the Lanfranchi Astra, Robin Donovan RS500 and Mike Jordan's Peugeot were particularly nice to find!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2939301)   #98
KA
Veteran

Quote:
AFAIK just 3 cars:
1:- RHD race car, started the season with Cleland- possibly then passed on to Louise Aitken-Walker mid-season

2:- LHD rally car- started the season with Louise Aitken-Walker, still in rally team colours, like this one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howiendlynne/4112751741/
IIRC at first using adapted tarmac rally-spec suspension, including 5-stud hubs and white (OZ or Speedline?) rally wheels.
Later fitted with full race-spec suspension etc, then passed on to Jeremy Rossiter once Louise had got a 'proper' race car. From the evidence of this pic
it seems to have been reliveried to match the other two cars by the end of the season.

3:- RHD race car. Debuted mid-season- Either used by Cleland, with LA-W getting his original car, or LA-W getting the new car
Finally found pic links to show the difference between the Cleland and Aitken-Walker cars early season- pics from the Donington 1 hour race:

#56, Cleland/Flux with RHD race car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard...57627283400681

#58, Aitken-Walker/Woodman with the LHD converted rallycar- note the different paintscheme and rally-style wheels

Late-season, after Louise got a 'proper' race car, the LHD car went to Jeremy Rossiter- by now signwritten to match the other two cars (plus Jeremy's additional 'Spax' sponsorship) and on 'race'-style (BBS?) wheels
http://i56.tinypic.com/11kcfae.jpg

Last edited by KA; 13 Aug 2011 at 18:27.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2939326)   #99
KA
Veteran

Something else interesting to notice in Richard's pics- the changes in sponsors on some cars over the season:

John Llewellyn's M3 at Donington, backed by Johnston's and IMF Finance,

and at Brands, by Colchester BMW dealer 'Neep'
Old 14 Aug 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2939504)   #100
KA
Veteran

Quote:
John Morris took over the Minshaw Golf for the final round at Silverstone- his own had been badly shunted at the previous round. I think I've read somewhere that he used his own engine in Minshaw's car- the Demon Tweeks machine having been sidelined with a blown engine as you suggest?
Another picture find- don't think I've posted this before. Found this in a thread on BTCC Golfs in a VW forum- it seems to be the Minshaw Golf as a John Morris entry in the paddock- it's not very clear, but you can make out a 'Listers of Coventry' logo on the windscreen sunsstrip, and it liiks like Morris' race #55 on the bonnet rather than Minshaw's #50

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...lfgtibtcc2.jpg

Tags
btcc, group a