Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Dec 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3787476)   #3676
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
260 Cup John ?
Fantastic around Spa,little bit 'lively'around here though.
Mike,our take on normal is obviously quite different.😂😂
Old 16 Dec 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3787485)   #3677
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A chap I knew through work a couple of decades ago, being a bit of a petrolhead, bought a new Elise to replace a very leggy and well used Audi performance estate thingy (I forget exactly what but if they did an RS4 Quattro estate back then that was probably it. About 180k miles as I recall).

He was an engineer for a telecoms outfit. Ex. military, early 30s, married, starting family, huge debt on credit cards so he bought an Elise! 30 odd mile commute to the office but I think he had a company car for his frequent and lengthy field trips.

So one sunny early summer morning he brought the Elise to the office to show people and I had an opportunity to enjoy the experience of getting in and out of it. Nice looking thing. A pretty metallic blue.

After a few weeks of singing its praises he admitted that actually he was not really getting on with it at all and within about 4 months had gone back to the Lotus dealer and part exchanged it for a used Esprit, if memory serves me well.

It was around that time that I realised I had reached an age where, for regular travelling, I preferred the luxury leather of larger limos whose prices plummeted with age and miles and became good value at about 4 years old.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3787486)   #3678
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
260 Cup John ?
Fantastic around Spa,little bit 'lively'around here though.
Mike,our take on normal is obviously quite different.����
A bit older than that, Terence. It was the development car for the Autobytel series, & not central driver seat like the series race cars. I was treated to some very fast laps around Hethel.

I've not driven a race car, unless the 2-11 counts, just various road cars.

Once you are in, the Exige is surprisingly roomy. The Evora is much easier to get in, despite the wide sill, which I think has been reduced lately.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3787491)   #3679
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the risk of arousing Bauble, who presumably is dangling in a prickly tree by now, I'm going back to pensions & the joys of being a pensioner in France. The mayor of my village has just delivered me a very nice basket of goodies for Christmas that included two bottles of wine, pate, biscuits, various packets of sweets etc.

One could have second thoughts about Brexit!
Old 16 Dec 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3787501)   #3680
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
At the risk of arousing Bauble, who presumably is dangling in a prickly tree by now, I'm going back to pensions & the joys of being a pensioner in France. The mayor of my village has just delivered me a very nice basket of goodies for Christmas that included two bottles of wine, pate, biscuits, various packets of sweets etc.

Sounds like a good night coming up John . Enjoy . All I've got today is a miserable football score
Old 16 Dec 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3787503)   #3681
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does that mean he'll be adding that to the Brexit divorce bill?
Old 16 Dec 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3787514)   #3682
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

You'll be fine for years to come, had you not heard that we're not leaving the EU.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3787515)   #3683
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sounds like a good night coming up John . Enjoy . All I've got today is a miserable football score
Come on, Yours wasn’t the only team to lose! And you didn’t fall off your bike on the ice this afternoon, so cheer up.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3787526)   #3684
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
C'on Mike, now you really do know about your skills on a two wheeler. May be you should consider adding two small wheels on your Mostro
Old 16 Dec 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3787535)   #3685
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes Iain, it has been a good evening as it involved a walk down to La Cascade for some pretty potent Biere de Noel. The walk home was rather warmer than the walk there!

Mine host was in very good mood as his home team (Bath) had just won at rugby.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3787546)   #3686
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
None of you are having to endure what I am going though tonight . Neibours 50 th birthday party and mrs Delta keeps making me dance . Well move about on dance floor . Food was good . 🙄
Old 16 Dec 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3787548)   #3687
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
None of you are having to endure what I am going though tonight . Neibours 50 th birthday party and mrs Delta keeps making me dance . Well move about on dance floor . Food was good . 🙄
That's horrendous Iain.

There should be a law against it in my opinion.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3787570)   #3688
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
C'on Mike, now you really do know about your skills on a two wheeler. May be you should consider adding two small wheels on your Mostro
Thank you for that vote of confidence! Big mistake was the backroads route chosen to keep away from mad drivers. I'm paying the price this morning though- Standing is possible, but walking or running ain't going to happen! Not going to help my winter fitness target....
Old 17 Dec 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3787574)   #3689
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thank you for that vote of confidence!
You're welcome, Mike. May be you could dance with Delta to help your recovery… And please dont tell me about fitness cose atm I'm quite confident I couldn't wear my racing suit! May be the balaclava but not sure.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3787575)   #3690
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
None of you are having to endure what I am going though tonight . Neibours 50 th birthday party and mrs Delta keeps making me dance . Well move about on dance floor . Food was good . ��

Couldn't you just watch the dancing on TV?

It was the finals of Miss France on TV here. Much bigger than Strictly....
Old 17 Dec 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3787581)   #3691
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Me and Delta son have just put in 20 miles . Roads are ok . Just at Virginia water and then through deer park" you might of seen the vidio on you tube of the bloke chasing his dog and shouting as the dog was chasing the deer . Anyway on to Windsor and a bacon butty. Life could not be any better . 😀
Old 17 Dec 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3787582)   #3692
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Me and Delta son have just put in 20 miles . Roads are ok . 😀
All right for some. Here it's a case of freezing fog and everything white with hoar frost- but by this afternoon it is going to be raining!

I'm going to start adding next year's dates to the calendar, so expect some disruption to the first page...........
Old 17 Dec 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3787592)   #3693
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
All right for some. Here it's a case of freezing fog and everything white with hoar frost- but by this afternoon it is going to be raining!

I'm going to start adding next year's dates to the calendar, so expect some disruption to the first page...........
It's an absolutely beautiful morning here after a very frosty start. Clear blue sky & some interesting-sounding has just flown over but too high to identify.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3787616)   #3694
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well for second week running we got soaked . Just got out of Windsor and started to drizzle then tuned to heavy rain .
Old 17 Dec 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3787641)   #3695
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good old Iain, that's the sort of post we want here, real life stuff, bike rides , rain, dancing. Come on Mike, a little more detail of your onto the road excursion (), John, tell us more about the local Mayor, and does he have a beautiful daughter?

Gerard add more about your corpulence, forget about paeans of praise for obscure motor cars (like Lotus).

Our central heating boiler was condemned a week ago and we are down to electric fires for heating all over Christmas. We bought three to supplement existing 'emergency' provision. The list of do's and don'ts (mostly don'ts) for even the most basic device is mind blowing, even down to instructions as to what a three year old is allowed to do.

I might mention that all the Christmas cards I send are home made to ensure that they are pertinent to the recipients. I'm good like that.

My eldest daughter and her husband are coming to visit us on Wednesday, but first I am stuck with taking Mrs B to see her cousin in Barnet tomorrow.
Not something to wish on your worst enemy - so you are safe Viva!

Did the post about me wanting a razor blade get blue pencilled or did I forget to press 'send' I wonder.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Baub.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3787651)   #3696
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Good old Iain, that's the sort of post we want here, real life stuff, bike rides , rain, dancing. Come on Mike, a little more detail of your onto the road excursion (), John, tell us more about the local Mayor, and does he have a beautiful daughter?

Gerard add more about your corpulence, forget about paeans of praise for obscure motor cars (like Lotus).

Our central heating boiler was condemned a week ago and we are down to electric fires for heating all over Christmas. We bought three to supplement existing 'emergency' provision. The list of do's and don'ts (mostly don'ts) for even the most basic device is mind blowing, even down to instructions as to what a three year old is allowed to do.

I might mention that all the Christmas cards I send are home made to ensure that they are pertinent to the recipients. I'm good like that.

My eldest daughter and her husband are coming to visit us on Wednesday, but first I am stuck with taking Mrs B to see her cousin in Barnet tomorrow.

Did the post about me wanting a razor blade get blue pencilled or did I forget to press 'send' I wonder.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Baub.
He does have a beautiful step-daughter.

Oh, & it was officially confirmed last night that the most beautiful girl in the country comes from the region, a young lady from Boulogne having been crowned Miss France.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3787667)   #3697
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I am stuck with taking Mrs B to see her cousin in Barnet tomorrow.

Baub.
I think the only thing worse than going to Barnet is having to go back to Luton afterwards
Old 17 Dec 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3787715)   #3698
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Baub.
Sorry to hear of your old boiler troubles baub.

We had something similar over an Xmas about 3 decades and 3 boilers ago.

Would it not be possible for you to visit your daughter .... and stay for a while?

Depending on the symptoms of your apparent boiler failure and who is advising you, might there be a possibility that the boiler is not entirely at fault? After some years of problems with ours and ever shortening intervals of reasonable operation it finally became clear that the real problem was muck in the pipes (mostly microbore but the worst blockage was in the larger pipes around the boiler).

Some pipework replacement and cleaning (of the curved bits I did not have the equipment to replicate which turned out to be the less than obvious major problem area) helped a lot and subsequent filtering of the main heating pipes has restored the system quite well.

Doubtless it is not perfect with about 40 years of accumulated crud in there (minus what I have managed to filter so far). But at least I have a friendly source for loan of the filter system and I'm now familiar with using it. Probably over-familiar to be honest.

On the other hand of you have water pouring out of the heat exchanger or something similar (as we had with out first two high impact and highly inconvenient failures) then change is probably your only economic option.

Still worth flushing the pipes and radiators though.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3787724)   #3699
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Pull a sicky Bob.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3787728)   #3700
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You're not alone in the boiler world, Bob, I think Mike experienced some issues too. May be you could join an make a boiler team here
Closed Thread