Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2706658)   #51
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Some of the behaviour around the garages was a bit out of order, my trailer got moved in the way of another garage over night which meant I got a mouthful from the occupants - who then proceeded to move it overnight in front of someone else! All a bit rude and ignorant, which is a shame.

I think some of the guys racing the later MGs take it a bit too seriously. Its a hobby, grow up.

Other than than, most people were very friendly.
Exactly my point in post #2
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2706677)   #52
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a real pleasure marshalling for you folks on Saturday. Big grids, firm but fair racing and some lovely cars - plus the bbq is much appreciated. Shame I had family commitments on Sunday and couldn't make it back.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2706758)   #53
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an 18 year old with a Z racer in our garage who was seriously arrogant. He had a big truck and two cars parked outside, then put up a tent and then laid out tables etc in the only access to the garage. When I drove back in on Saturday morning I could not get parked anywhere near the garage so I suggested he could move his road cars to the central car park and his answer was that he had three paddock passes so was entitled to those passes. I pointed out that there were 9 other race cars all with passes but only one car to park etc but he would not budge.
A kid with a severe case of "rich Daddy". Not typical of the usual MG folk.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2706793)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really enjoyed it, great weather, the racing was competitive but fair. That track is a bit of a beast!

Some of the behaviour around the garages was a bit out of order, my trailer got moved in the way of another garage over night which meant I got a mouthful from the occupants - who then proceeded to move it overnight in front of someone else! All a bit rude and ignorant, which is a shame.

I think some of the guys racing the later MGs take it a bit too seriously. Its a hobby, grow up.

Other than than, most people were very friendly.
So they proved me to be right in my earlier post Simon,they will never change!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2706806)   #55
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon I did the smart thing by staying in the outer paddock and turning up on Thursday evening. I had no problems but there were a lot of people in the wrong place and once they'd unloaded, only a vigilant and determined organising club is going to be able to do anything about it. A lot of our guys finished up camped out in the general car park behind the cafe.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2707148)   #56
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fairness to the organisers, they did keep on via the tanoy about bad parking and good manners. Its just that some folk decided to ignore it! As you say Brian, the organisers can only do so much, and I think it was a only minority that left their manners at home.

I wouldnt chose a garage again though!
Old 9 Jun 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2707286)   #57
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In fairness to the organisers, they did keep on via the tanoy about bad parking and good manners. Its just that some folk decided to ignore it!
You forget Ken, these people think that rules don't apply to them only the others. They'll hear the tannoy but think it's not for them, someone else must be blocking people in and isn't it terrible.

I thought there were an awful lot of trailers in the paddock when they were supposed to be in the trailer park
Old 9 Jun 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2707407)   #58
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I thought there were an awful lot of trailers in the paddock when they were supposed to be in the trailer park
ah but by the time I arrived at 14.00 Friday, the 'trailer park' was full of tents and motorhomes
Old 9 Jun 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2707657)   #59
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Well exactly, I wanted to dump the trailer off somewhere secure and drive my car into the garage and not cause any hassle....but there didnt seem to be anywhere!

Sorry I missed you this weekend, I didnt even get to any of the shops!!
Old 11 Jun 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2709360)   #60
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I think it is worthwhile emailing Dave Saunders with your comments, he is happy to hear how things can be improved.
Quite a lot of events now do not allow trainers in the paddock at all.
Interesting that the Silverstone Classic has 800 cars entered, that's twice as many as MG Live! so how will they cope. Certainly only competing cars in the paddock.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2709375)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post

Good to have a dress code

Classic last year- trailers all on National straight, Motorhomes at Farm, strict limit on support vehicles- and it was still busy!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 11 Jun 2010 at 18:22. Reason: correction
Old 13 Jun 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2710826)   #62
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I blame the red wine! However you do see quite a number of scruffy folk at events these days!
Must say I did wonder about H&S when I saw a lad bang his knee when trying to negotiate round all the trailers.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2711359)   #63
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos

Apart from garage and paddock issues the racing was actually quite entertaining so I thought I'd post a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_5464_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5486_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5488_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_5512_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5540_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5624_edited-1.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2711361)   #64
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
I think it is worthwhile emailing Dave Saunders with your comments, he is happy to hear how things can be improved.
Interesting that the Silverstone Classic has 800 cars entered, that's twice as many as MG Live! so how will they cope. Certainly only competing cars in the paddock.
Leave it!
We all know it's a misprint!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2711363)   #65
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I can only add 6 photos per post so this one and a couple of more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_5779_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5784_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5787_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_5850_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5866_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5885_edited-1.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2711370)   #66
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Few more:
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_5923_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5927_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5929_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_5941_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5947_edited-1.jpg   GJC_5956_edited-1.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2711386)   #67
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Final few - hope no one minds a couple of dozen photos being posted (resisted the temptation to post all 700+). Gary
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_5985_edited-1.jpg   GJC_6014_edited-1.jpg   GJC_6079_edited-1.jpg  

GJC_6096_edited-1.jpg   GJC_6157_edited-1.jpg   GJC_6128_edited-1.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2711471)   #68
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gary, you must have been practically next to me when you took the pic of Tom's rolled Midget! Small world.....good to see him jump out OK wasn't it?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2711530)   #69
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shot of the gulf-liveried Spridget taking violent evasive action to miss the three spinning saloons. Hooligans!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2711690)   #70
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Gary, you must have been practically next to me when you took the pic of Tom's rolled Midget! Small world.....good to see him jump out OK wasn't it?
I'd just walked up into the stand and was about to sit down when he rolled so I was too late to take a shot of the actual roll - but I was just pleased he walked away from it.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2711827)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gary, these are great shots. Post as many as you like! I do!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2712496)   #72
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Gary, these are great shots. Post as many as you like! I do!
Gary - tell me you have some of the Thoroughbreds Race. Got a picassa / flickr / Photobucket gallery of them?

Jelly
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2712695)   #73
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Gary - tell me you have some of the Thoroughbreds Race. Got a picassa / flickr / Photobucket gallery of them?

Jelly
Sorry Jelly - I had to leave about 3.30pm on the Sunday to get back 'up north' and I think the Thoroughbreds was a bit later than that. I'll keep an eye out for you at any future meetings where our paths cross this season. Gary
Old 16 Jun 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2712984)   #74
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Sorry Jelly - I had to leave about 3.30pm on the Sunday to get back 'up north' and I think the Thoroughbreds was a bit later than that. I'll keep an eye out for you at any future meetings where our paths cross this season. Gary
Cheers Gary - Iwas the best "Race" by all account - endless place swapping the whole race in the front group of 7 cars.