Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 May 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2699763)   #51
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not sure - I think it might be Pete Adams and my son in the 1220 and Ben Adam s and me in the red one. The idea is both sons and both dad's get a drive!
Old 28 May 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2699767)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Arnie Black I think.Boss of Crossle and a good bloke.
Old 28 May 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2699906)   #53
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good man to use as co-driver of your Crossle!
Old 28 May 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2699922)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I need stronger glasses. Mind you, I do have a penchant for ladies behind the wheel, so maybe it was wishful thinking!

A couple of 26Rs are entered, too.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2702377)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, just a few days away. Hope everyone is thinking about getting there for one of the days, although for me Saturday's 3 hour race will be the highlight.

I really hope JR. that you will bring the B8 along. When I told my normally placid son that it might not make it, even he threw a bit of a wobbly, especially as he had given it a separate news piece in Autosport last week!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2702410)   #56
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We should be there but had a surprise problem with engine.

We had done nothing with the car since it arrived so all last minute.

Confirmed we are not going to Monza so all things now focused on Snet but that top three thing seems a very large mountain to climb

Would I let Kevin down,Not that brave!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2702419)   #57
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, could show a clean pair of heels to a lot of folks, all going well. I may pop up to Snett for this, off games for 6 weeks, missing 3 outings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Sounds like a good man to use as co-driver of your Crossle!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2702426)   #58
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge View Post
Agreed, could show a clean pair of heels to a lot of folks, all going well. I may pop up to Snett for this, off games for 6 weeks, missing 3 outings.
Yep, he appeared at Kirkistown on Sat in Paul Conns 42S and took a 3rd and a 2nd. No doubt getting his eye in a bit.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2703003)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to try to clarifie the deployment of the Safety Car,here are some sections of the MSA's Regulations.
3:14

3:14.6 All competing cars---------------------------will reduce speed and line up behind the Safety Car,no more than FIVE LENGTHS APART, and maintain the same speed as it
.Overtaking or overlapping of any other competing car during an SC intervention is forbidden.

3:14.12 Overtaking remains STRICTLY FORBIDDEN UNTIL THE START SIGNAL AT THE START/FINISH LINE IS PASSED.

Thought these sections,having been discussed elsewhere,would help.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2703009)   #60
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

As long as safty car travels at a speed that allows all cars to follow.Not like at Silverstone.The slower they go the more time to clear up any mess!
Common sense should be shown.

Are you the shepherd this week Mr Bower
Old 2 Jun 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2703010)   #61
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am indeed Mr Ruston,and you have my word that the SC will be driven at a sympathetic speed.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2703137)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Looking for volunteers.

Anyone want to be refuelers and fire marshal for 3 hr race?

We have one race suit,5 8 and very portly

Need one/two to refuel and one fire marshal with race suits.

Can we share with others?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2703149)   #63
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy to help John, I'm not racing til Sunday but will be there around lunchtime. Which garage?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2703333)   #64
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
We should be there but had a surprise problem with engine.

We had done nothing with the car since it arrived so all last minute.

Confirmed we are not going to Monza so all things now focused on Snet but that top three thing seems a very large mountain to climb

Would I let Kevin down,Not that brave!
Happy to hear it John! Very glad to hear you will be coming.

Ben will certainly be pleased to hear it - he genuinely likes to put himself up against the best drivers in a given series/category (he was hoping Simon Hadfield would end up driving in another car, so that he could pit himself against him!). He reckons - rightly in my opinion - that it makes you a better driver.

I'll be there to report on the race, along with a certain Mr Pye, so Autosport should be well represented!

I look forward to seeing you all there - I don't get to as many historic meetings as I'd like so Snett should be great.

All the best,

Kevin Turner
Autosport National Editor
Old 2 Jun 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2703387)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks Colin,You are in business.Seems you need your racing P J's
Just arrived in Uk so will sort all bits tomorrow.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2703452)   #66
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As long as safty car travels at a speed that allows all cars to follow.Not like at Silverstone.The slower they go the more time to clear up any mess!
Common sense should be shown.

Are you the shepherd this week Mr Bower
Hi John I can confirm that the reason we have Mr Bower as the shepherd is that I know he won't run off into the distance when he suddenly sees that the flock is getting ready to pounce behind him!! He and Chris will do an excellent job as always and I also had plenty of opportunity to practice last weekend at Snett with several rolling starts from the RC end of the Safety Car radio!!

The key factor is that the two drivers on the front row do their bit correctly maintaining position and the chosen / requested pace of the safety car when it pulls off into the pitlane, which on past performances in this event, I am confident they will.

Also just to reinforce Terence's comment regarding the start procedure for rolling starts, this weekend the HSCC finals state under section 5;

"As the front row of the grid approaches the start line, the red lights will be extinguished, denoting the start of the race but there is no overtaking or changing of direction for any cars prior to crossing the start line"

Look forward to seeing you all at the weekend........should be a great one....and I've ordered the Sun again!

Terry
Old 2 Jun 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2703457)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Very kind words Terry,thankyou,just means we'll have to try even harder.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2703637)   #68
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We are sorted.Colins helping but have sorted one extra.

Cobbled together a last minute engine with help of a few mates so its a bitza with idea of getting proper one together for LMC.Michael S is favorite with Shipman wagon just behind .

Lucky Ben didn't get jocked of now Sir Simon available.( funny things old men and motorbikes)At least he brings down average age of that driver pairing.Even we were thinking of dumping our second man but couldn't handle being responsible for tears!( or more to point wrath of girl friend and manager).That should make sure he does 16's.

Assume Shepherd Terry will base his speed on Turner?

We will be there in morning to see if this engine works as it should be ready by mid night,Don't suppose we can have a special invitation class for B26 if it all goes tits up!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2703643)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope for my son's sake it is based on his speed! To be fair to him he is happy to keep his right foot buried its just not very fast especially relative to B8's!!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2703646)   #70
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

Assume Shepherd Terry will base his speed on Turner?

!

Its OK John,I'll have a tow rope with me so it can keep up

Whilst on the subject and further to what seem's to worry some posters, here is the last paragraph from the MSA's Operation of the Safety Car sheet.
3.14.17: Any car being driven unnecessarily slowly,erractically or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers at any time whilst the safety car is deployed WILL be reported to the Clerk of the Course.
This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track,the pit entry or the pit lane.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2703695)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Ben will certainly be pleased to hear it - he genuinely likes to put himself up against the best drivers in a given series/category (he was hoping Simon Hadfield would end up driving in another car, so that he could pit himself against him!). He reckons - rightly in my opinion - that it makes you a better driver.
Kev, as you say Gareth and a good few others will be a good test for Ben, and I hope he acquits himself well both for his own sake and that of Michael Schryver who has so generously offered him the drive in the B6.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 08:52 (Ref:2703698)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I hope for my son's sake it is based on his speed! To be fair to him he is happy to keep his right foot buried its just not very fast especially relative to B8's!!
Simon, he'll be fine; it'll be great to se him out there.

Terry's tow rope would have to be bloody long if it has to stretch the length of a spread out field.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2703703)   #73
simon drabble
Veteran

I am sure he and the rest of us will have a lot of fun - I am really looking forward to it. Along with the Castle Combe historic weekend it is one of my favourite meetings - low key and very friendly
Old 3 Jun 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2703704)   #74
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats a little harsh John,anyone know what the distance is between Sear and the Esses?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2703990)   #75
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Very kind words Terry,thankyou,just means we'll have to try even harder.
I'll second that Terry. Looking forward to the weekend. Weather is supposed to be good. See every body there.