Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Aug 2000, 12:22 (Ref:31066)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport Vinny will be released at the end of the season as Vauxhall want a pay driver to join Plato and Muller.

Seems odd - a pay driver - this is the BTCC do we have any pay drivers? - any thoughts.

Vince is most likely to go to the Peugot BTCC team for next year - who may run 6 cars!
Old 17 Aug 2000, 17:46 (Ref:31112)   #2
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am suprised that the decision has been made already to let Radermaker go. I presume Muller & Plato are under contract for another year and will be racing. I did wonder wether Plato would go to the States.
Peugot won't be running 6 cars just building them. They will run 2 and sell the others - as I understand it.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 23:40 (Ref:31195)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats a bit odd...aren't Vauxhall fielding 38 cars next season?

Maybe he doesn't wreck enough cars?
Old 18 Aug 2000, 06:58 (Ref:31219)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a minute a sense a bit of dreaming again.....

OK so Vauxhall and Peugeot are going to make all these cars to sell - to who ???

I reckon the 2001 spec BTCC cars will cost about the same to buy as a 98/99 ST, how many of those do we have on the grid this year...

Yes, the 2001 rules are a BIG saving to factory teams used to writing out £10m cheques with BTCC on them, but to Independent teams the costs will be about the same as running a ST car in the independents cup. So many of the costs like personnel, travel, equipment are fixed and its these costs coupled with buying a car that put off private teams.

Sponsors are not interested in the BTCC in its current state, so raising 'true' sponsorship is going to be very difficult. Alfa keep being mentioned as coming back, but all I can see is two private teams saying they are going to run Alfa 147's , I don't see any cash from AR being mentioned. JS racing run two 156's in the Alfa owners club series, they may be ambitious, but its along way up from there to competing in the BTCC alongside Prodrive,888, WSR,etc. I hope they are not deluding themselves.

I can't see who all these 'buyers' are. If Vauxhall need to take a pay driver to run three cars, what's the chance of a private team running two cars.....

On the VR front, yes its a shame, but anyone with half a brain, knew that was going to be a dogs job. With no spare cars allowed, Vince was always going to be the one to miss a race if an extra car was needed. 888 did their usual trick of not getting the cars finished early enough pre-season, leaving vince to test the old '99 bus.
Old 18 Aug 2000, 19:22 (Ref:31288)   #5
TheShadow
Rookie

TheShadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ST- If the factories were to sell/give the new formula BTCC cars to private teams, could these same manufacturers also provide a letter that would declare the teams to be factory efforts?

It is much easier to call a VP of Marketing with the opening line being " The reason for my call is that we have a joint marketing opportunity with General Motors that I would like to discuss with you."

As opposed to "would you like to sponsor our car?"

Even the BTCC has not sunk to where it has no value, especially if GM were to trade out considerations on their
part.

Just a thought.

Kurt Maxwell
Old 18 Aug 2000, 19:29 (Ref:31292)   #6
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been said, Radermecker has definately been no 3 in the Vauxhall team, having to either pull over or give up his car for his team mates. He has still in my opinion put in one or two good drives this season.

It is rumoured that he will be driving a Peugeot at the Spa 24hrs. and He is hoping that out of this will come a factory drive in next years BTCC. I for one hope it does happen as he has great potential!
Old 18 Aug 2000, 20:59 (Ref:31305)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's been on the receiving end of some pretty severe accidents so far this season - not many, if any at all of which - have been Vincent's fault.

Derek Warwick and the 888 organisation have not been at all fair to him this season and he really does deserve a better chance. If that means moving to Peugeot, then so be it. They reckon that the 307 will be the car to have anyway...
Old 19 Aug 2000, 07:44 (Ref:31385)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Danielsun
Derek Warwick and the 888 organisation have not been at all fair to him this season
I don't think that's quite fair. It was painly stated that he was the third and test driver right from the start.
Old 19 Aug 2000, 13:19 (Ref:31430)   #9
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rik, Vincent did drive a Pug in the Spa24hrs but sadly the car had a mechanical problem (when he was driving) and had to retire. It was made all the more frustrating when the other two Peugeots in the race scored a 1-2. Some people just don't have any luck do they?
Old 19 Aug 2000, 18:00 (Ref:31455)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I were VR I wouldn't be banking too much on the Pug drive. There are two works seats available and no doubt Dan Eaves, Toni R and Alan Morrison will be likely candidates and thatsbefore Will Hoy starts playing his Vic Lee connections. So that's 4 drivers for 2 seats before we even get to vince.

The remaining seats will require drivers to BRING money not be PAID money, which I am sure will be a pretty unpalatable notion for former 'works' driver.....

On the point Shadow made, the chances of factory teams giving out new cars are as likely as me flying to the moon.
Works teams weren't even prepared to give away '98 ST buses, so new cars are a nil possibilty.

I take your point about a private team 'appearing' to be a factory team, been there done that, I can assure you that is worth 'didly squat'. The 'only' sponsors you will see on a factory team are brands that have a double deal with the car maker some where along the line.

In marketing terms below F1 the only viable advertising, is to be a series sponsor, its cheaper and whoever wins you get your name in lights......

Even the BTCC stacks up as very poor value for money against the amount of advertising a brand can buy in terms of posters, press and magazine exposure, and these are all accountable known quantities.
Old 20 Aug 2000, 09:54 (Ref:31566)   #11
Matt Neal
Rookie

Matt Neal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope Kristensen goes the same way