Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jan 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2372652)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Whitmarsh to take over from Ron Dennis as McLaren head

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44942

Not too much of a suprise, but I atleast thought he'd see this season out

Maybe we won't see as many penalties awarded to Merc this year?

Selby
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2372670)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news. Whitmarsh is a solid guy, but still no Ron.

Hopefully Ron will still be at the races though?
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2372672)   #3
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really surprising though, is it?

I wonder, (although it's completely academic) whether Ron would still have made this decision had Lewis not been WDC 2008?
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2372695)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been a hell of a journey for Ron. He started out as a mechanic, and from there went all the way to the top with the likes of Lauda, Prost, Senna (to name but a few...) and saw it all come crashing down again in the mid nineties, only to go shooting straight back up again with Hakkinen, a driver he was clearly fond of and nearly lost once. I wonder if McLaren's lean years through the 2000s were the hardest for him though? I suppose he's going to call it quits since he finally won the title back last year.

It really is the end of an era in F1.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2372706)   #5
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron has been leaving a lot of the day to day running of the team to Whitmarsh for years now, so in essence this isn't going to change things that much; it is more a formality than anything else. It is sad though, a face who has been around for so long is always missed. Had it not been for Spygate I think this would have happened at the end of 2007. It was noticeable that Lisa, unusually, attended most GP's in 2007 and Ron had promised her he would retire at 60 so that all fits. I think part of the reason they split was down to Ron not being able to let go and give his family the time they wanted. Anyway, I wish Ron all the best, although he isn't retiring, he will be missed (apart from the Ronspeak) as the Team Principal.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2372721)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ron has engineered an optimal strategy that will consolidate the integrity and forward thinking technology of Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes.

I'm going to miss Ronspeak.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2372723)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I was in such a rush posting this to you guys (I've been non-stop teaching today) that I forgot to give some words myself (Without meaning to make it sound like his passed on :| lol)

I don't think one can truly appreciate Ron until you've looked into how long he's been around and how much his stuck through. On the surface you'd say his a conservatively spoken head of a huge F1 team, who gives little to nothing away. I've heard some of my friends find him 'boring', and in absolutely fairness, I can understand where they're coming from. Hence my point, until you've fully appreciated how much his done, it's only then you realise just what a huge part his played in one of F1's biggest teams. You'll be missed, Ron!

Selby
Old 16 Jan 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2372801)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised if Ron is at several races, bearing in mind he's now CEO of the McLaren Group - they supposedly have some road car project being cooked up.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2372863)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bye Bye Ron.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2372868)   #10
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Very sad news. Whitmarsh is a solid guy, but still no Ron.
behind the scenes of the camera, Martin is more than capable and has been at McL since the beginning of the 90's. Even when I was there, back in the late 90's he was making lots of decisions, without having to run after Ron (admittedly a lot more than he did - but that was 10+ years ago).

In recent years, Martin has had just as much involvement into the running of the F1 team as Ron, if not more in some areas, so really, other than title, its not much of a change.

Ron will be quite busy with everything else on the group as well as some Grand Prix involvement. Hardly a retirement. A VERY mis-understood man, outside of those four grey walls in Ottershaw (its not really Woking).

Last edited by andy_b; 16 Jan 2009 at 18:07.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2372870)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate
It was noticeable that Lisa, unusually, attended most GP's in 2007 and Ron had promised her he would retire at 60 so that all fits. I think part of the reason they split was down to Ron not being able to let go and give his family the time they wanted.
pure speculation unless you can quote a source...
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2372888)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
congrats to MW and a big thanks to RD. i might not have been the biggest fan but thats the nature of being a spectator watching F1 from the outside so naturally i chose sides. however there is no denying that his contribution to F1 has been immense and im sure will continue to be so with his new role.

i have always found MW's interviews during race weekends to be very open and forthright in terms of explaining what is going on with his team...i hope we still get his insights now that he is team principle.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2372893)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
behind the scenes of the camera, Martin is more than capable and has been at McL since the beginning of the 90's. Even when I was there, back in the late 90's he was making lots of decisions, without having to run after Ron (admittedly a lot more than he did - but that was 10+ years ago).

In recent years, Martin has had just as much involvement into the running of the F1 team as Ron, if not more in some areas, so really, other than title, its not much of a change.

Ron will be quite busy with everything else on the group as well as some Grand Prix involvement. Hardly a retirement. A VERY mis-understood man, outside of those four grey walls in Ottershaw (its not really Woking).
I know Martin is capable of the job easily, he just isn't as....interesting.

But then perhaps that is, in a way, a good thing.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2372919)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry to hear that, but it was expected. Enjoy the retirement, you deserve it !
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2372931)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the memories Ron.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2372952)   #16
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There goes a true F1 legend,definatly a misunderstood guy who stuck to he's plan, sod what people say and pulled it off in the hardest business of all..............I wonder weither Ron will have the last word on certain F1 decisions though
Old 16 Jan 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2372983)   #17
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
they supposedly have some road car project being cooked up.

I don't know how true it is but I heard that McLaren want the "worlds fastest production car" title back.

BTW the new "Worlds fastest car" is the Ultimate Aero SCC built by Shelby motors. Top speed is 256 mph if I remember rightly, Buggatti Veyron 250 mph The SCC is aerodynamically stable of speeds upto 273mph! (It was wind tested at NASA)
Old 16 Jan 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2372991)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's built by Shelby SuperCars, owned by a guy that's nothing to do with Carroll Shelby.

If McLaren put their mind to it they could make something as fast in a straight line as that and probably faster around those really exotic and rare things called corners.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2373044)   #19
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Not too surprising that he's decided to step down, there has been speculation about it for quite some time now. I'm not sure he would have made the same decision if Hamilton hadn't won the title last year, but perhaps he feels that he's proved a point, so to speak. Good luck to him in his semi-retirement (because I don't think he's hitting the golf course just yet), it's well-deserved after so many years in such a high pressure job.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Jan 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2373060)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I'm sure there was an agreement about his retirement.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2373086)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This had to happen and as some others have said coincides with Lewis winning the WDC last season...

Brilliant man Ron Dennis, has had racing running through his veins for ever..He will be missed...
Old 17 Jan 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2373112)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Great guy sadly missed took charge of a not inconsiderable amount of wholly satisfactory high performance mechanical conveyances and a not inconsiderable amount of great biological components.

Err,sorry...translation:

Great guy will be sadly missed,took charge of some good cars and many great drivers.

Last edited by Marbot; 17 Jan 2009 at 00:30.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2373142)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Let's face it without the Ron Dennis's of the world the FIA would have trample even further over the underdog...Blue collar to success and riches what is there not to admire about the hard work and determination of this man?... I salute you!
Old 17 Jan 2009, 02:05 (Ref:2373156)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yep.

And funny is that Max shows no signs of retirement yet...
Old 17 Jan 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2373323)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Good luck to him in his new role.

I think he had perhaps planned to step aside at the end of '07, but didn't want to end his era on such a sour note.