Senna 30 62.50%
Schumacher 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Aug 2001, 18:26 (Ref:127712)   #1
williams fan
Rookie

williams fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna vs. Schumacher

Jus got back from the place where me and my m8's sit and talk, we got into the conversation of who is the better driver? Senna or m Schumacher? I think its senna,so do most of the others but im not sure. I know ive heard it all before "we cannot compare drivers from 2 different eras" but from 93'-94' they drove in the same races so they are not from different eras, are they???
what do you think?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 19:21 (Ref:127730)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna... just on another level.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 19:25 (Ref:127733)   #3
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no contest

Sorry no mater how good Schumacher is or will be - there will only be one Senna...

I recon put both together if Senna was still a live and he would kick his but in the dry and rain....

No Contest
Old 8 Aug 2001, 19:30 (Ref:127737)   #4
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna by far !!!
Old 8 Aug 2001, 19:36 (Ref:127739)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You cannot put Schumi in the same level of Senna. Schumi has consistently refused to face a top driver in the same team without teamorders.

Schumi is hardly the best of the current drivers. Never known how much better because he refuses to measure himself against his teammates on equal footing. Even if he has partnered 2nd. class drivers like Irvine and Barrichello.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 20:38 (Ref:127765)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
You cannot put Schumi in the same level of Senna. Schumi has consistently refused to face a top driver in the same team without teamorders.
Exactly - TGF has never had opposition within his own team, so when he has the best car (like this year) he just walks away with it. Senna had to battle with his team-mate to win.

TGF is good - one of the best ever, of course. But Senna was in a different league.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 20:50 (Ref:127770)   #7
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look back both senna + schumi have only driven top cars, there are drivers like damon hill, who performed well in both top cars as well as lesser cars ie arrows and jordan
Old 8 Aug 2001, 22:34 (Ref:127827)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh no... not that again...

I must say I agree with R Girls because he had no opposition within his own team and and the others until this season... YES I know you name the Maccarones, but they were there when they were unbeatable cars... now the Williams came back to action and the Williams boys will give him a hard time...

About Senna, well, this is history, just check the books...
Old 8 Aug 2001, 22:57 (Ref:127836)   #9
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything that makes Schumacher such a good driver ie; technical knowledge, courage, aggression, feel, set-up knowledge, reflexes, racecraft, sensitivity, etc. Senna had on an equal or higher level. But when it comes to raw talent, Senna was off the charts. Nobody ever has, and probably never will have as much god given talent as Senna had.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:01 (Ref:127837)   #10
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: no contest

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash and Burn
Sorry no mater how good Schumacher is or will be - there will only be one Senna...

I recon put both together if Senna was still a live and he would kick his but in the dry and rain....

No Contest

did they not race together before?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:06 (Ref:127841)   #11
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Everything that makes Schumacher such a good driver ie; technical knowledge, courage, aggression, feel, set-up knowledge, reflexes, racecraft, sensitivity, etc. Senna had on an equal or higher level. But when it comes to raw talent, Senna was off the charts. Nobody ever has, and probably never will have as much god given talent as Senna had.

i'm not an F-1 fan yet when Senna was still alive, how is it that Senna's 'raw talent was off the charts'? i'm not a JPM fan, but is seena more aggressive than JPM? (i know JPM is just a rookie, nut he seem to be very very aggressive). did senna win every grand prix in a season? i'm just wondering why everyone is saying he's very good, etc.

Alvin
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:08 (Ref:127842)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They raced against each other in 1993. TGF spent a lot of time crying that Senna was a dangerous driver and someone should go to the stewards and make him stop it. Later he adopted most of Senna's dangerous tactics but without Senna's ability to make it look as if it "just happened."

I don't like either of them. But Senna was by far the better pilot if I had to choose between only those two.

Prost was better than both.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:11 (Ref:127843)   #13
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing

Schumi is hardly the best of the current drivers. Never known how much better because he refuses to measure himself against his teammates on equal footing. Even if he has partnered 2nd. class drivers like Irvine and Barrichello.
So, Schumi is the one deciding who his team mate going to be? not jean todd? r. brawn? luca m.?

how can he be measured against his teammates on 'equal footing'?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:17 (Ref:127846)   #14
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
They raced against each other in 1993. TGF spent a lot of time crying that Senna was a dangerous driver and someone should go to the stewards and make him stop it. Later he adopted most of Senna's dangerous tactics but without Senna's ability to make it look as if it "just happened."

I don't like either of them. But Senna was by far the better pilot if I had to choose between only those two.

Prost was better than both.

i see, so what schumi is doing now (tactics), is all the same with the tactics of senna? well, schumi openly admitted that his idol was senna, but what separates the two?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:22 (Ref:127852)   #15
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl

Exactly - TGF has never had opposition within his own team, so when he has the best car (like this year) he just walks away with it. Senna had to battle with his team-mate to win.

TGF is good - one of the best ever, of course. But Senna was in a different league.
maybe there were really no 'opposition/team mate' that could challenge him? just maybe. did schumi chooses his own team mate?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:29 (Ref:127858)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My response to this question should be no surprise!

Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:47 (Ref:127869)   #17
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"i'm not an F-1 fan yet when Senna was still alive, how is it that Senna's 'raw talent was off the charts'? i'm not a JPM fan, but is seena more aggressive than JPM? (i know JPM is just a rookie, nut he seem to be very very aggressive). did senna win every grand prix in a season? i'm just wondering why everyone is saying he's very good, etc."

f1grandprixshop,
I dont think anybody has to explain to you what talent is. But then again, who can actually explain it. Think of the most talented driver in your mind. Whoever it is, Senna had more talent. Period.
JPM is very aggressive, and he does remind me of Senna. But Senna was ruthlessly aggressive, running his own teammate off the track. He would be in a fit of rage, shaking his fist if a backmarker didnt move over Immediately.
He was a master in the rain, able to feel every single tiny twitch of the car, making tiny corrections to keep the car on the course, the tires struggling to adhere to the road, and yet setting a blinding pace.
He is still the record holder for most pole positions, and when Schumacher won as many races as Senna, he said that Senna did it in less races.
Look him up. Watch video clips of him. The more you see and learn, the more you will understand. Have fun.
BD
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:50 (Ref:127870)   #18
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't vote. I never saw Senna race.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 23:58 (Ref:127874)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna or Shu?

My F1 obsession began when Senna was top of the tree and he was truly incredible to watch. that being said , Shu in the wet is also an incredibly talented pilot. i vote for Ayrton but to be fair to Big Shu,I think my bias against him due to his history ( calm down the lot of you) might affect my judgement. Yes, Senna also has shown he knows how to take someone out but I still feel he was the better of the 2. It is such a shame that both of these guys have resorted to being bad sports when going by their talent, they really didn't need to.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 00:41 (Ref:127884)   #20
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only read about Senna and seen year review videos but here goes.

Talent
Prost
Senna
Schumacher

Personality
Schumacher
Prost
Senna
Old 9 Aug 2001, 04:03 (Ref:127932)   #21
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are huge generation gaps in this forum. It's startling to be asked what was so good about Senna. It's like me asking my dad what was so good about Sugar Ray Robinson. You had to see it to appreciate it.

I was a Prost fan and that put me against Senna, but I knew Senna was great, way too much danger. It wasn't only his results, it was his way of doing business, which was utterly without compromise.

Schumacher is the best of this era. Anybody who doubts this is kidding himself, IMO. His competitors can't afford to admit it (other than the eccentric Eddie Irvine of course) but ask anyone in the F1 business, Frank Williams for example.

But Ayrton Senna was one scary hombre. I remember many things but I'll mention two. Adelaide 1989 in the monsoon, when Prost parked it, and Montreal 1993 when he qualified 8th. I was there and it was hot. Every other driver on the grid was out of the car and under a sun umbrella. Senna was in the car ready to go from the time his car went onto the pre-grid. His first lap was comparable to Donnington, only in the dry. I venture to say that very few, Fangio Germany 1957 perhaps, have driven a lap like that.

It's what he did, sure, but it's more the way he did it. Awesome is a word that's almost lost it's meaning these days, but Senna was awe inspiring. Prost proved his moral fibre and his own greatness, by not capitulating to Senna's will and genius, but by stubbornly resisting him with his own weapons, which were different than Senna's.

Senna is a driver for the ages, the stuff of legend. His aura will only grow with time. Prost was not his equal, neither is Schumacher. This isn't to try to diminish them, but is an attempt to give Senna his due. Belatedly on my part.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 06:12 (Ref:127944)   #22
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i won't compare between generations, coz there's 9 years between them. What can be said though is that 7 years ago, An up and coming Michael (25) was a clear threat to the F1 crown held by Senna (34), who in that time was in his prime. The F1 paddock knew it, the fans knew it and Senna certainly knew it.

The young will always surpass the old, it is fact. It happened to Prost, it will happen soon enough to Schumi, and but for a tragic accident, it would of happened to Senna aswell.

They were both the best of their generation, it's as simple as that. And they both posessed the rare qualities than can distinguish themselves from every other driver out there. To me, they both inhabit the same stratosphere.

Of course, some people will never be able to comprehend that an arrogant European from a country associated more with profficiency than flair, could possibly have the same raw racing talent that was posessed by the God-like Senna.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 06:18 (Ref:127945)   #23
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna was quick, with more natural talent. 65 pole positions. That's one record that even Schumacher may never reach. On the other hand, Schumacher is a more complete driver, but it's hard to tell when he's never had a 'teammate'
Old 9 Aug 2001, 06:18 (Ref:127946)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by drexel

They were both the best of their generation, it's as simple as that. And they both posessed the rare qualities than can distinguish themselves from every other driver out there.

Well said Drexel
Old 9 Aug 2001, 06:30 (Ref:127949)   #25
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Senna. Although Schumacher is closer than most of AS fans give him credit for.