Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3150785)   #1
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Martin Whitmarsh stand down

Now that the **** stirrer is off to Merc, should MW stand down as it appears to me that he may not be the best for the job or team seeing as he just let LH get on with anything he wanted to do with no disciplinary action at all.

Should they put the sweeper up as engineer to LH seeing as no one at McLaren wants him to walk away with the covetted no 1 on his car.

Most companies would see LH off the premises the same day after signing a contract for a job at another employer, then promote an understudy seeing as LH has no loyalty & will gather every secret up & take it with him !

Edit: autocensor is there for a reason.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 14 Oct 2012 at 15:36.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3150796)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Now that the **** stirrer is off to Merc, should MW stand down as it appears to me that he may not be the best for the job or team seeing as he just let LH get on with anything he wanted to do with no disciplinary action at all.

Should they put the sweeper up as engineer to LH seeing as no one at McLaren wants him to walk away with the covetted no 1 on his car.

Most companies would see LH off the premises the same day after signing a contract for a job at another employer, then promote an understudy seeing as LH has no loyalty & will gather every secret up & take it with him !
I don't see why Martin Whitmarsh should leave over a driver that does not want to be there. There is a lot more to his job than looking after every whim of a driver, after all he needs to ensure that his drivers have a fast car and that the money is there to build it.

If you compare his situation to soccer look at how many top players Alex Ferguson has let go over the years and his team still wins.

If the car is good enough the any top driver shouild be able to win with it but it is much more difficult for a driver to win with a slow car.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 14 Oct 2012 at 15:37.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3150803)   #3
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see there's anything to be gained by not allowing Hamilton to have the best possible car for the last few races. They will be heavily focussed on next year's car now anyway so anything they learn from his data could be valuable.

I doubt Lewis will be in quite as many post race debriefs however and certainly unlikely to be involved any more other than on a need to know basis. That's normal though surely with anyone under notice?

I can't see what Whitmarsh has got to be sorry for personally. He appears to have acted in the best interests of his team and I think Lewis had made his mind up long ago.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3150804)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Crazy point, Whitmarsh is a very good team boss, he comes across very well and has also been very instrumental in stopping a lot of the bickering and rubbish that went on in the pitlane for years, he and Domenicali in particular have managed to calm a lot of this down, despite issues over possible rule issues.

McLaren are still one of the best teams, they have not gone backwards and if anything have closed the gap on Red Bull and pulled away from Ferrari. If anything they have the most consistent car.

Their management of Lewis has been hard work, but I fear that is mroe to do with this cretinous management group around Lewis than anything else I believe. They are used to dealing with footballers and the like and in F1 that sort of stuff is garbage.

They matched Mercedes offer and made a better one, if Lewis wants to leave one of the best teams in F1 to drive a new car then fair enough, what can you do?

I think in Perez they have a good driver, maybe the car now might go Jenson's way, if that way is enough we will see, but to ask for Whitmarsh's head is plain rubbish.

Unless you are a Hamilton fanboy!
Old 13 Oct 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3150829)   #5
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Unless you are a Hamilton fanboy!
Not at all.
Just a point that McLaren have not had their best run under Whitmarsh, poor pitstops, poor strategies, LH problem that has been there all along which I admit that MW has dealt with, these have been there over the last few years of which MW has had control, not much before that.

I think it was better run when it was largely under control of Ron Dennis whom LH & others got to stand down even though its his company.

They have gone slightly backwards as 'the finger' is getting stronger with every race.

MW hasnt got anything to be sorry for personally equally its a long time since they won a championship.
I didnt say there was anything wrong with the car in my 1st post.

Difference between SAF is they wont play again if he falls out with them, just wait until the transfer window.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3150834)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I think it was better run when it was largely under control of Ron Dennis
McLaren didn't win anything under Ron between 1999 and 2008, so where is the difference?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3150896)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't think Martin Whitmarsh should stand down at all...

Lewis has decided to go a different route, not Martins fault IMO...
Old 13 Oct 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3150899)   #8
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who cares about Lewis Hamilton...

Martin can now focus his attention to grooming Perez and supporting Jenson whilst smiling at LH's 10th position finishes at Mercedes.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3150910)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now is MW fault...
Old 13 Oct 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3150933)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
no they wouldnt, lewis hamilton has a contract which will extend to atleast the end of the race in brazil if not slightly longer (some contracts will extend to 1st of january dependant on what has been agreed).

its exactly the same as having a fixed term contract in any other job, you work until the end of the contract, regardless of what you have "lined up" after the end of it. McLaren would be in breach of contract if they were to tell hamilton to sling his hook and there would be no point in showing him the door, firstly for the financial penalties involved (see Vejay malya for that) and secondly, winning the championship is worth more than having number1 on your car the following year.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3150950)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Outstanding! Now Whitmarsh is to blame for Lewis acting immaturely and burning his bridges at Mc by doing things like posting telemetry on twitter. I suppose he called Brawn & Company and encouraged them to offer Lewis all of the $$$ as well.

Surely Lewis cannot possibly be responsible for any of this...

Personally, I blame Sam Michael. Ever since he got to Mc Lewis has been acting even more silly than before - that MUST be it!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3150951)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
no they wouldnt, lewis hamilton has a contract which will extend to atleast the end of the race in brazil if not slightly longer (some contracts will extend to 1st of january dependant on what has been agreed).

its exactly the same as having a fixed term contract in any other job, you work until the end of the contract, regardless of what you have "lined up" after the end of it. McLaren would be in breach of contract if they were to tell hamilton to sling his hook and there would be no point in showing him the door, firstly for the financial penalties involved (see Vejay malya for that) and secondly, winning the championship is worth more than having number1 on your car the following year.
I think that a cursory review of the History of Contracts in F1 would reveal that the "Sanctity of the Contract" is a rather foreign concept there...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3150952)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Now is MW fault...
I am sure Massa was involved somehow.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3151066)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In answer to the thread opening post. No.

It rarely happens that a driver is sacked after announcing a change to another team. It seems that they can operate with a degree of honour not understandable to others. The impact can be mitigated too.

Will McLaren try to lose the championship because of it. No, they will still try to win it. They get more benefit than the team who inherits the driver. Again, not everyone is vindictive enough to spite their own face.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3151108)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Seriously, I cannot imagine a scenario where McLaren would ever give up on winning the WCC or the WDC.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3151115)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When the suggestion is made it comes across as if made from a comfy chair.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3151126)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Seriously, I cannot imagine a scenario where McLaren would ever give up on winning the WCC or the WDC.
Neither can i, that said, if both Jenson and Lewis are out of the hunt with a few races to go, McLaren won't want Lewis knowing about parts for next years car, so i can see him being restricted and ultimately ending up behind Jenson in the standings at season's end (if those new bits prove successfull!)
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3151141)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
When the suggestion is made it comes across as if made from a comfy chair.
When did Cardinal Fang subscribe to this forum?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3151152)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
When did Cardinal Fang subscribe to this forum?
Nobody expected him to.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3151156)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Who cares about Lewis Hamilton...

Martin can now focus his attention to grooming Perez and supporting Jenson whilst smiling at LH's 10th position finishes at Mercedes.
Hmm, you say that, but what about the difference a driver like Hamilton makes over an inconsistent driver like Button (and possibly Perez).

Re: Martin Whitmarsh, none of us here have the foggiest what exactly he does and how well he's doing at that. I don't think us armchair 'experts' (emphasis on the inverted commas) are in a position to make such rash calls. It's like the people who called for Domenicali's head after Abu Dhabi 2010. Anyone would think they were in a position to call him out on his failings despite knowing little about his job.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3151161)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Instability and musical chairs in the team principal throne shredded Ferrari back in the day. These big teams don't want that.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3151218)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Neither can i, that said, if both Jenson and Lewis are out of the hunt with a few races to go, McLaren won't want Lewis knowing about parts for next years car, so i can see him being restricted and ultimately ending up behind Jenson in the standings at season's end (if those new bits prove successfull!)
Not a chance!

JB has next seasons Merc engine in his car.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3151330)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whitmarsh has surprised me with his management. I think he is very good.

I liked Ron Dennis, but he was too stuffy and restricted and paranoid. Not a great atmosphere for drivers really, or indeed relations with other teams.

Whitmarsh gives his drivers a bit of freedom. They are adults after all.

The issue McLaren have is building a consistently quick car. Since the regs changed in 2009 they haven't managed it.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3151468)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Whitmarsh has surprised me with his management. I think he is very good.

I liked Ron Dennis, but he was too stuffy and restricted and paranoid. Not a great atmosphere for drivers really, or indeed relations with other teams.

Whitmarsh gives his drivers a bit of freedom. They are adults after all.
I agree. The same can be said of Stefano too. The current McLaren and Ferrari teams live in harmony. It seemed that "back in the day" Ron Dennis and Jean Todt's sole focus was to not get on at all.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3151474)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hmm, you say that, but what about the difference a driver like Hamilton makes over an inconsistent driver like Button (and possibly Perez).
Am I missing something here? How consistent has Lewis been over the last 3 seasons? This is not a criticism of LH, more an observation.