Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Feb 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3710457)   #1526
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I know they had their problems, but Chiyo so much slower than the others in the #23?
Maybe he lost faith after the crash on Saturday?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3710470)   #1527
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you were a team manager, you'd have to show a bit of concern when there's amateurs lapping somehwat quicker than so-called pros.

Klark Quinn's 2:03 was a stand-out, for my mind. Sure, he's a capable steerer. Has a few AusGT championships to his name, but to be that quick?
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3710474)   #1528
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow Mathias Lauda slower than Paul Dalla Lana. I know Dalla Lana is pretty handy for an amateur but Lauda is supposed to be a professional!

Mind you I was surprised when Aston Martin announced him as a factory driver in the first place, he's never set the world on fire!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3710476)   #1529
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Mozzie and Vilander the only two in the 02's, dang.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3710479)   #1530
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know someone called John Hindhaugh out, for a bit of hyperbole for Vilanders stint towards the end of the race, but I really thought it was something to behold. You don't get a round of applause from your team and spectators for an average stint!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3710482)   #1531
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Klark Quinn's 2:03 was a stand-out, for my mind. Sure, he's a capable steerer. Has a few AusGT championships to his name, but to be that quick?
I remember when he debuted in Carrera Cup when he was very young (2003-04 ish) and he was on the pace with the front runners.

With times like he did on the weekend, it's a shame not only that he's said he's stepping away from a full campaign of driving this year, but also that he didn't pursue a driving career back when he was younger & showing promise (though i'd say he made the smart decision getting involved in the family business)
Old 6 Feb 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3710545)   #1532
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you were a team manager, you'd have to show a bit of concern when there's amateurs lapping somehwat quicker than so-called pros.

That's rapid no doubt. Quailed on a 6.3, then a 3.9. Not sure where you find that speed difference in 2 sessions? Maybe 2 different drivers?
Old 6 Feb 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3710551)   #1533
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know this is a long shot, but maybe it was just a bit of luck. Maybe he got it just absolutely spot on on every corner, something he hadn't quite managed before. Incredible time, but if it was a one off then a bit of luck and maybe a draft down both straights might've been enough.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3710567)   #1534
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I know this is a long shot, but maybe it was just a bit of luck. Maybe he got it just absolutely spot on on every corner, something he hadn't quite managed before. Incredible time, but if it was a one off then a bit of luck and maybe a draft down both straights might've been enough.
Mr Quinn's car had limited running in practice/qualifying with their engine issue.. perhaps the need to cycle pilots thru the car limited the ultimate pace until race day..
Old 7 Feb 2017, 00:49 (Ref:3710596)   #1535
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post
And in those not one of the co-drivers had anything bad to say about Russell, yes he binned it, yes it cost a well placed finish, but not one harsh word has been made. I'm sure there will be plenty of ribbing once the Mark/Russell duo get back on Foxtel, but that wont be serious, they are all professionals and they all know how the place can bite.

I could really see how much this meant to Russell, the shear devastation in his eyes after he pulled up. I really hope the deal comes together for them to be back next year.
A bit of irony that Russell was criticising the driving standards and level of the Am drivers on Saturday morning saying it would cause a lot of wrecked cars - yet he was also one to put it in the fence.

I felt they were really unnecessary comments from Russell that werent really in the spririt of an endurance, class and Pro/Am event.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3710597)   #1536
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
A bit of irony that Russell was criticising the driving standards and level of the Am drivers on Saturday morning saying it would cause a lot of wrecked cars - yet he was also one to put it in the fence.

I felt they were really unnecessary comments from Russell that werent really in the spririt of an endurance, class and Pro/Am event.
I might be wrong, but didnt he say something similar at the 1000 a few years back?

Ingall just making a soundbite for the media in my opinion
Old 7 Feb 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3710598)   #1537
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I might be wrong, but didnt he say something similar at the 1000 a few years back?

Ingall just making a soundbite for the media in my opinion
Planet Mork anyone?

Mr Mork was racing his trusty Honda Integra at the mountain at the weekend too
Old 7 Feb 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3710599)   #1538
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

The 4 blokes in that Kiwi Lamborghini were seemingly in the way of many cars at the weekend. A good car with pilots who perhaps haven't quite gone that fast in their lives, tens of seconds a lap slower than the similar Lago Racing example...

Or the huge variation in speed in any of the MARC Focii & Mazdas... and their abilities to get out of the way of anything faster...

Mr Ingall has a point.. even if it wasn't eloquently shared.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3710600)   #1539
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Planet Mork anyone?

Mr Mork was racing his trusty Honda Integra at the mountain at the weekend too
ah thankyou for the reminder

Quote:
Ingall fired this salvo after Friday qualifying at Bathurst in 2000, where he had struggled to find lap that was free of slower traffic:

"There are a lot of drivers out there from Planet Mork and there'll be a lot of dramas on Sunday. There are so many w****rs I can't believe it. I've never seen so many. They're so far off the pace it's obviously the Kellogg's cornflake licensing system they're using here."
Old 7 Feb 2017, 02:03 (Ref:3710602)   #1540
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Does he though? This isn't v8 supercars - its an event that is as much aimed at Amatuers as Professionals - regardless of the type of car you are driving.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3710604)   #1541
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The 4 blokes in that Kiwi Lamborghini were seemingly in the way of many cars at the weekend. A good car with pilots who perhaps haven't quite gone that fast in their lives, tens of seconds a lap slower than the similar Lago Racing example...

Or the huge variation in speed in any of the MARC Focii & Mazdas... and their abilities to get out of the way of anything faster...

I too, am baffled as to how the Kiwi Racing Gallardo was circulating as slow as it did, given the car constructor's prescence at the track in two other camps. There was also a Reiter-contracted driver with nothing to do, who kept themselves busy pitching X-Bows to interest parties...
Old 7 Feb 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3710605)   #1542
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Does he though? This isn't v8 supercars - its an event that is as much aimed at Amatuers as Professionals - regardless of the type of car you are driving.
There was questionable driving throughout the field.

Limiting the even to strictly 'pros', wouldn't make any difference. The beauty of this kind of racing, is the different strengths and weaknesses in the variety of cars entered.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 02:43 (Ref:3710606)   #1543
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
There was questionable driving throughout the field.

Limiting the even to strictly 'pros', wouldn't make any difference. The beauty of this kind of racing, is the different strengths and weaknesses in the variety of cars entered.
agreed
Old 7 Feb 2017, 03:43 (Ref:3710609)   #1544
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Audi star released from hospital after B12H shunt
Old 7 Feb 2017, 03:52 (Ref:3710610)   #1545
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Just thought i would re-look at this after a year

Quote:
changes Id like to see for 2017
1 Id like to be there, depends on timing - Didnt happen
2. 115% cut off (only one car would have missed out this year, the BMW) - Didnt happen, however the introduction of the Gt4 field was a win here and only 1 other car (the bmw) was an issue
3. Updated qualifying system, Id like a top ten, however maybe a top ten 20 min session would work, and also a non GT3 qualifying session) - Happy with this
4. A short Saturday TV coverage including live coverage of the final qualifying session - Great win for the event
5. More cameras. - I think this happened, seemed similar to the 1000, do they use the same media company
6. a few more of the new breed v8 supercar drivers in the gt3 cars eg Chaz and Scott - Very happy with the number of local stars included - Chaz , Jamie, Frosty and others
7. Some drivers with recent LMP1 WEC experience that have an australiasian link - Got Bamber , but out early , would have loved Webber
8. Entire coverage on Mate, so we don't have to flick. - Perfect
9. A mid race threat of rain - Not sure this happened, oh well
Old 7 Feb 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3710611)   #1546
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Just thought i would re-look at this after a year
Marc Leib, reigning WEC Champion was in the #12 Porsche...
Old 7 Feb 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3710613)   #1547
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
No doubt, Was looking for the australasian link though and truthfully I really wanted webber. Still want him next year too, but the interview during the race suggest he might not be interested, which is a shame
Old 7 Feb 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3710616)   #1548
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
And Oli Jarvis. Quite impressive driver line up - hopefully this momentum continues into the 2018 event.

Not to sound like a broken record - but would love to see CAMS/ Bathurst 12 Hour organisers look to bring in a code 60 / virtual safety car from conrod to mountain straight in an effort to reduce race stoppages for minor accidents. Nothing can be done at the top of the mountain obviously.

Probably could have prevented 5 safety cars period with it, for example Lowdnes, kiwi lambo
Old 7 Feb 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3710626)   #1549
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In person, the on track action was pretty good, from the 12hr field right down to the Improved Proddies and the Combined Sedans. The red Civic in the IP races was just a joy to watch.

I could take or leave the Shootout and the road car hot laps.

Seeing as the Non-Class A cars only got the 1 qualifying session and after that no running until the race. How about the one qualifying on the Friday arvo in place of the last Friday practice, have the Shootout Saturday morning in the cooler weather, and then have the final practice for everyone on Saturday afternoon, which doubles as the warm-up for the race the next morning.

I'd love to see some of the off track streamlined though, the amount of ticket checks (at times multiple ticket check points within 30m on the start of the entry road to the paddock campground where we were staying) asking to scan our tickets that had had the stub ripped off by the attendant when we first bought them... Not to mention the getting up and down from the mountain during the day, we saw cars getting searched coming down the mountain, the traffic jams were ridiculous....

It was as if they'd have preferred fans to pick and stick to the top or the bottom given the hassles driving up and back.

Not to mention the attendants not letting GA or "Trackside" ticket holders into the pit/paddock area because they didn't have pit passes for a while on Saturday. After we showed them the information about free pit access, they eventually radioed above to be told that of course GA ticket holders could enter the pits.... They replied that they'd been turning people away all day....

The good on track action made up for it all though, and a good race on Sunday as usual makes it all worthwhile. A very good enduro i thought, plenty of attrition, abit of controversy and all in all a very deserving winner.

Roll on 2018

Quote:

It was ironic in this case that the Kiwi Lambo was drilled by a MARC at Murrays Corner early in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
Limit it to the 'pros' and your entry & variety for the event as a whole would be, at best, halved.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3710629)   #1550
McLaren Oz
Rookie

McLaren Oz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I too, am baffled as to how the Kiwi Racing Gallardo was circulating as slow as it did, given the car constructor's prescence at the track in two other camps. There was also a Reiter-contracted driver with nothing to do, who kept themselves busy pitching X-Bows to interest parties...
Who do you speak? Kox, Enge....??