Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2002, 19:50 (Ref:352525)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gilles Museum

On our way back from Trois-Rivieres, we stopped at Berthierville and visited the Gilles Villeneuve Museum. I'd heard different things about it from people who were either unimpressed or wished they'd had more time to spend there, so I didn't know what to expect.

In truth it's a cross between visiting a room in Gilles' house where he keeps all the stuff he isn't using right now, and a shrine. But it doesn't have the feeling of awe that the word "shrine" might make you think of -- it's not a place built by people who worship Gilles. It's a place where people who still think of him as neighbour, brother and friend have gathered things that he owned or things that remind them of him, to give the visitor a feeling of familiarity, as if one had met the man himself but not been able to talk to him for nearly long enough. They have his trumpet, and some of his music; his snowmobiles and some drawings he did; diecasts of all his cars; and lots of photographs and posters and trophies. There are other peoples' memories of him, including a wonderful handwritten page by Rene Arnoux about their dice in Dijon. There's an area set up like a press room and a funny recapitulation of a race where Gilles came in second and all the questions were directed to him until finally an exasperated Alan Jones interjected "Don't mind me, I JUST WON THE RACE."

The Ferrari people have lent the museum the 1981 Ferrari that Gilles drove, so a person can look at it and remember what F1 cars are supposed to look like.

And best of all is a tribute DVD made by local people that includes people talking about Gilles as a human being, not a Racing God. It even includes pictures of the places he lived in town, including a trailer that looks a lot like the one I lived in as a kiddie, and a little bit of film of their wedding (did you remember that they were 17 when they married? I didn't!)

And on the wall as you leave is a poster advertising the Formula One race at Zolder on May 8, 1982.

If you can get there to visit, you should go. It's a wonderful way to remember a man that will always be the essence of Ferrari to me.

P.S. They do have some Jacques stuff there too, including a full size replica of the Zipmobile which is even uglier up close than you would have believed from seeing the diecast.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:06 (Ref:352539)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Zipmobile?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:25 (Ref:352550)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1999 BAR, I believe. They weren't allowed to run two liveries on their cars, so they in stead ran their cars with dual liveries, and with a zip painted on to separate the two parts.

Thanks for sharing, Liz. That would surely be an interesting place to visit.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:37 (Ref:352640)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I'll be going someday...

The right side of the 1999 BAR was beautiful in blue 555 colors.
The left side of the 1999 BAR was beautiful in white and red Lucky Strike colors.

But not together....
Old 7 Aug 2002, 22:19 (Ref:352682)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The poster I recall that made an impression on me was the one on the door going in with all the drivers from the '81 or '82 season, which gave me a big déja vu of following those years very closely, getting "Gran Prix International" in the mail and reading all about those guys. Gave me a big lump in my throat.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 22:59 (Ref:352691)   #6
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would very much like to go there, and someday, I will.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 23:31 (Ref:352708)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
djb, I have that poster on the wall above my sofa. It's another reason, looking at the names and faces of ses adversaires, ses amies and remembering them all on the grid together, reminds me what F1 used to be ...
Old 7 Aug 2002, 23:39 (Ref:352713)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gilles Villeneuve was a true racing god... he was a brilliant aggressive racer but above that a kind and innocent human being. I would love to see the museum someday. Gilles just fascinates me.. some people say that he was naive, so focused on the track... like a child (just like Senna). Its amazing that people still love him so much.

Last edited by freud; 7 Aug 2002 at 23:42.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 13:39 (Ref:353075)   #9
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not even a single WDC but a great racer...
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:04 (Ref:353154)   #10
senna12
Veteran

Since Gilles represents the epitome of what Grand Prix racing was really all about, his legend only grows when compared to the Formula 1 of today.

Having been one of the lucky ones who has seen him drive, I consider myself very priveleged to have witnessed it.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:14 (Ref:353276)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I consider myself privileged having seen him in videos only even....
Old 9 Aug 2002, 05:52 (Ref:353561)   #12
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gilles Villeneuve museum

An absolute must if you are a Gilles Villeneuve fan.

I've posted a link to the museum:

www.gilles.villeneuve.com/

Tye
Old 9 Aug 2002, 08:14 (Ref:353630)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd also like to visit it one day....Gilles was one true legend.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 21:33 (Ref:354896)   #14
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another hopeless jibe at Michael 'record-eater' Schumacher
Old 11 Aug 2002, 03:04 (Ref:355024)   #15
senna12
Veteran

Since MS's name is not mentioned anywhere in this thread until your post, downforce, I fail to see where you make the jibe connection, or why you would even bother. "The chin" has absolutely nothing to do with this thread and, for once, perhaps we could keep it that way.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 03:13 (Ref:355029)   #16
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
"The chin" has absolutely nothing to do with this thread and, for once, perhaps we could keep it that way.
I agree 100% there!
Old 11 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:355288)   #17
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by downforce
Another hopeless jibe at Michael 'record-eater' Schumacher
I am not sure why this comment was made??
Old 11 Aug 2002, 15:20 (Ref:355325)   #18
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Please lets leave it there. This is thread is about a man who is highly respected and cheered over the years. He is a legend and we must keep this thread as clean as posible not leting bad influnce overshadow this genius and hero rather than dedicate this thread to his great memory! Please ignore a reply if it is not fitted than posting it over and over again in quotes!

Long live the memory of Gilles Villeneuve!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:16 (Ref:356175)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Well said. Gilles is forever Ferrari. Even Jody Scheckter (grudgingly) would agree -- I remember him saying that when the two of them were out together nobody recognized Scheckter, although Scheckter was the WDC! (We all know that it should have been Gilles that year. I wonder if Enzo ever regretted those team orders?)
Old 12 Aug 2002, 21:15 (Ref:356379)   #20
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gilles

Well,maybe this thread will jump start the thread I started over on the Historical Racing forum.It is simply titled Gilles.If anyone has any thoughts on his races,life and career just pop over and post away.

I started the thread there because I felt that is where it belonged.

Tye

Last edited by Tye; 12 Aug 2002 at 21:15.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:24 (Ref:356515)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Gilles is not history.

But thanks for starting the thread.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 10:47 (Ref:356734)   #22
Liz
Veteran

From the Gilles Villeneuve Museum Website. ("Robert Murphy" is our very own Murph.)

August 12

Mrs. Elizabeth K. Shaw offers 3 exclusives pictures to the Museum...

While they met during the Trois-Rivières Grand Prix a couple of weeks ago, Mrs. "Liz" Shaw, editor of TEN-TENTHS MOTORSPORT NEWSLETTER offered Dany Flageole, co-webmaster of Gilles Villeneuve Museum web site, to send him a gift for the Museum.

Today, Dany received an envelope from Lady Shaw containing 3 exclusive 8½"x11" and "never seen before" pictures of Gilles in action. As per her letter, the pictures are from Robert Murphy and they were shot during the late 70s at Mosport. We will contact Mr. Murphy to try get more details about the pictures and we will report our findings here later...

The Museum wishes to thank Mrs. Shaw and Mr. Murphy for their contribution to the Gilles Villeneuve photo collection.

Go to the site to see the photographs which Murph took at Mosport.

Last edited by Liz; 13 Aug 2002 at 10:50.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 15:10 (Ref:356913)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent Liz! Great photos! I's like to see a video of a Canadian GP from Mosport, but I'm guess that would be hard to come by...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Aug 2002, 15:25 (Ref:356919)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Murph has dozens of really great photos. I wish we could get him to do a "slide talk" for the membership at some race somewhere; everyone would enjoy hearing his stories and seeing his memories of Really Good Racing.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 23:53 (Ref:357350)   #25
freud
Veteran

WoW... thumbs up, Liz! First the letters from Max and Bernie, now the Gilles Museum, what next... A ride in two-seat Mclaren with Kimi Raikonnen
Great pics, btw.