Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Aug 2000, 05:25 (Ref:32048)   #1
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw on the BMP launch that there are likely to be 24 car grids next year. Apart from Vauxhall & Peugot there should be cars from Honda, Alfa, Rover and another (I've forgotten which).
Matt Neal and Jason Plato had nice things to say about it all and I glimpsed Lemski in the background.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:05 (Ref:32095)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please tell me the CONFIRMED entries for next years championship.. I fell for the rubbish last year, that they were to have 30 cars this year... If there are cars that 'should' be there next year, I always think you can discount 1/2 of those..
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:17 (Ref:32097)   #3
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agreed fully Dan

Vauxhall are the only ones to have committed - perhaps with upto 6 cars

Peugeot - is possible, the plans are with the Peugeout UK for budget approval etc. Could be on though as they're rumoured to be pulling out of the NSC - which would fit in.

Ford - yet to comment

Honda - yet to comment

Alfa - erm perhaps.

Rover - erm, less likely me thinks.

Anyone care to add to the list and comment on potential likliehood of entry.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:22 (Ref:32100)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we have 6!!! Thats a long way from 24.... But I do think that Peugeot will do it and pull out've NSC..

Vauxhall will have more cars in BTCC than they did in some Vectra Challenge races!!!! It's a strange world..

I just can't see Rover making an entry.. I think the best possiblity is an entry list of about 14 / 16 cars... with 6 of those being Vauxhalls!!
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:32 (Ref:32102)   #5
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds about right.....

6 Vauxhall's
6 Peugeouts's
1 Matt Neal?

That should make the grid about the same size as this year
Old 22 Aug 2000, 15:45 (Ref:32135)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where has everybody got 6 Vauxhall's from. Remember there will be two works cars plus a third car (for which they are seeking a pay driver).

They then plan to sell another 3 cars to private teams - who !!!!

Same with Pug, Yes they will run two factory cars and aim to sell more cars - to who ???

I can't see who these private teams will be as (in a previous post) I reckon the costs of running these cars will be the same as running an indie ST. That's before you have bought a car, which will not be cheap.

I reckon they will be around £150,000 a piece, so a two car team is going to set you back £300K.

Queue this side with your cheque books please.....
Old 22 Aug 2000, 17:24 (Ref:32147)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall said 2 old boys, 2 kids and 2 for sale - not sure where the pay driver fits in there.
BMP are running 2 kids but don't know what sort of cars.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 17:44 (Ref:32157)   #8
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal is rumoured to be switching to the ESTC next year with his current car.

There is also a loose rumour floating around that Aiello will return to the BTCC spearheading Peugeots campaign. He isn't very happy with coming last each race in the uncompetitive Audi's. having said that if they offer him a Le mans drive again, he will stay with them.

Ford are still said to be working out how to get their Focus legal for the BTCC next year, currently its just too short, so it will either require a special dispensation, or blooming great bumpers
Old 23 Aug 2000, 01:07 (Ref:32228)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIKB wrote:

>Ford are still said to be working out how to get their >Focus legal for the BTCC next year, currently its just too >short, so it will either require a special dispensation, >or blooming great bumpers
>
They already got the waiver from BMP.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 11:04 (Ref:32315)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It would seem that even I was misinformed by BMP.. so the facts are that there are actually 2 confirmed entries for next years BTCC!!!! Those live races are going to be just fantastic!!!

Perhaps it'll all be clearer in October...
Old 23 Aug 2000, 11:23 (Ref:32320)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's hope that BMP don't get 'giddy' and do a 'TOCA' and make promises they can't keep.

I seem to remember a certain A Gow, being very bullish about the entries for this years BTCC. A famous quote being - 'There will be more Nissan's on the grid this year (2000) than last season'

To even the casual observer, there were 3 Nissan's last year and 2 (or 1 and a half, if you are cruel), this year....

There is always lots of big plans and big talk at this time of the year. It will be November to January, when the cash has to found to pay for it all, that really counts.

There will be lots of dreamers, who like the idea of running cars in the BTCC, get every body excited, then suddenly realise that in reality they can't afford to do it.

Up to now more manufacturers have said they won't do the BTCC, than have committed to it.

When Alfa Romeo comes out and says it will do the BTCC I will believe it. When private teams come out and say they will do it, I believe them when I see them.......
Old 23 Aug 2000, 18:32 (Ref:32378)   #12
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But there are more Nissans this season - there's the Bintcliffe Class B cars!!

I'd tend to agree that 24 cars is highly unlikely; BMP seem already to have fallen into the ToCA trap of saying that there'll be more cars this year than last. We've heard and seen it all before.

I'll believe them when I see 24 cars on the grid at the Brands GP circuit (if it still exists) in April next year...