Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1438096)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When did you fall out of love with Ferrari?

A lot of people used to like Ferrari.

They were always a team I liked to see do well in the Prost/Alesi/Berger era, but the arrogance of Messrs Todt and Brawn really switched me off the team.

Even some posters here, like knowlesy, who used to be staunch supporters are now sick of the Scuderia.

Why should this be?

It's not down to dominance - afterall golf fans respect Tiger Woods, not resent him.

But then again he's humble.

It must be attitude, I think.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1438106)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not dominance, no.

I was a Ferrari fan all the time, but really got into them in 1997....I got caught up in the whole "first drivers champion in a Ferrari for a million years thing" and I always admired Schuey anyways, albeit not necessarily a fan.

So I cheered them on and they won in 2000.

Then Montoya entered F1 and I naturally followed him, but still kept an eye on the Scuderia.

And then came Austria 2002, which swung me totally against them I'm afraid. There were subsequent things that got my goat as well.....Indy 2002, Nurburgring '02, various off-track politics, Michelin-gate amongst other things.

I have still admired Michael as I believe he is generally humble and has decent basic values (despite some lurid driving) and he's a heck of a driver, although I'm no supporter of his. It is Ferrari that rankle, Todt and Brawn.

I liked them better this year though.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1438108)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Selling models on Ebay you kind of pick up the value people place on teams - Ferraris sell badly. Rally cars sell best
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1438116)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To each his own.

But K-B, knowing you are a diehard Mclaren fan, is there really a need to start a post every week to remind us something Ferrari did wrong or why we should stop liking them?

As knowlesy has said, Austria 2002 didn't really go down well with the audience. I didn't like it either. But that has been cleared, Ferrari explained their stand and apologised if the decision didn't go down well. Let it rest.

And sure, you're going to remind us "the gentlemen agreement" after another post you started was closed. Ok.

But let's be frank for once. While there are a couple of issues serious enough to warrant split opinions and criticism, and rightly so, many issues are cooked or exaggerated and unjustified. And of course, the exclusive rights Ferrari enjoy for doing wrong and other teams are angels right?

i'd give this thread a good rating
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1438131)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
When they stopped painting them 'Scarlet'.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1438155)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
To each his own.

But K-B, knowing you are a diehard Mclaren fan
Not really. I respect them like I respect many teams.

Quote:

, is there really a need to start a post every week to remind us something Ferrari did wrong or why we should stop liking them?
This thread was started because of a genuine feeling there's less "love" for Ferrari than their was - even from my own thoughts. There's no agenda here.

Quote:

And sure, you're going to remind us "the gentlemen agreement" after another post you started was closed. Ok.
Closed at my request because it had run its course.

Quote:

But let's be frank for once. While there are a couple of issues serious enough to warrant split opinions and criticism, and rightly so, many issues are cooked or exaggerated and unjustified. And of course, the exclusive rights Ferrari enjoy for doing wrong and other teams are angels right?
Ah! On topic - I would agree that as Ferrari is the supposed marquee brand in F1 its actions get more scruitiny from the critics.

Quote:

i'd give this thread a good rating
Clearly not without some taste then

Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1438172)   #7
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1438174)   #8
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would go as far as suggesting that Ferrari almost killed the sport. We at least had interesting fights between team-mates when Williams or McLaren were dominant over the other teams. Ferrari deprived us of that ruining the show to a point that f1 lost crowds, TV broadcasters, sponsors etc.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1438177)   #9
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
About 2002. Indianapolis and Austria
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1438178)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Louis I presume you are talking about the 1979 season?

For those that feel out of love in '02 because of the odd race. Where you actually in love before? Where they your team, the important thing above all. I am genuinely interested to know whether it made that much difference.

In addition was it not obvious that this was how the team operated?

And finally, why was that different to, say, the '79 season?

Personally, I am an admirer of Ferrari now. I also love the old Ferrari's true motorsport cars (the Scarlet thing), but I was never particularly in love with Ferrari to make it a big thing to lose in the '90s (say).
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1438180)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got out as soon as the German got in.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1438188)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had always been a massive Schumacher fan and Ferrari fan, it was like a religion
But Austria 2002 and untill the end of 2002 killed it for me.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1438194)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never been a Ferrari fan. I got into F1, ie watch every race in the Stewart days and them along with Jordan and McLaren got my support.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1438197)   #14
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was never in love with them, and I dislike them intensely because:

Fixing race results (or trying to)
Running a 1 car team
Being paid more than the other teams for "historical" reasons
Always seeming to come up smelling of roses with the FIA
Power of veto in the new extended Concorde agreement
Bailing out of the GPWC when Bernie made them an offer

Thats all I can think of.... for now....
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1438200)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the purpose of the thread is not to simply to bash Ferrari. If that isn't the case, it won't last long.

It is more about comparing old and new Ferrari as well as tracking people changing attitudes.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1438201)   #16
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Humm! Kicking-Back would have accomplished the miracle of me and Joe agreeing on something! Weird...
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1438203)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Indeed Adam - that was my intention on starting it - purely to examine the reasons behind why people can go from being a supporter to not.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1438208)   #18
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Louis I presume you are talking about the 1979 season?
??? I was talking of 2002 and 2004. I can understand how important it was for them to win in 2001 at all costs as they had been for so long without a title. Their one driver strategy even in dominance time thereafter became a disgrace to the sport.

As far as I can remember 1979 had good races and battles involving Scheckter, GV and the Renault but, I must say, I was not following f1 on a regular basis at the time.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1438211)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I was referring to the team orders from Ferrari to keep Gilles behind Jody. A one driver strategy to secure the title. (I did really know which season you referred to sorry a little naughty of me).

Anyway. So did you 'fall out of love' because of that?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1438222)   #20
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Anyway. So did you 'fall out of love' because of that?
Your insistence got me. I was never in love with them which, I guess, means that I shouldn't be a party to this discussion.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1438230)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Not at all, but I was interested if it was a big change for you. (or indeed anyone else).

I used to have a soft spot for Ferrari, but that has waned over the last 10 years. However in other areas I have gained some admiration for them in other areas. For me too it wasn't really 'falling out of love'. My favourite season was '86 and Ferrari were nowhere (well not quite) so for me they aren't intregral to F1 either.

However I am interested if there are any die-hards of the past era that have lost the love.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1438302)   #22
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People complaining about team orders aggravates me. Even Fangio used them!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1438305)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are ways of aplying team orders though....
Old 19 Oct 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1438318)   #24
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ferrari's me...me...me attitude is what bugs me about them. That, and their lack of sportsmanship. They sometimes strike me as being beligerent just because they can.
Just today this news is typical:
..... Ferrari Team Principal Jean Todt has made it clear that Rubens Barrichello will not race a BAR until 2006. Barrichello is under contract with Ferrari until the end of 2005 and the Scuderia will not allow him to duck out of his agreement early. Here is what Todt had to say about the possibility of Barrichello running for BAR in 2005:

"No. Rubens is a Ferrari driver until the end of the year.".....
Old 19 Oct 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1438319)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought his original contract ran through until the end of 2006? You could say Ferrari were kind to let him get out of it a year sooner.

I am sorry, but ALL the teams have a "me, me, me" attitude.

They simply do.

But then perhaps I am blinding myself.