Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Aug 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1697055)   #1
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deja Vu all over again?

How do you move a slower kart off the line? This question bothers me from time to time as I ponder whether I am "aggresive" enough to suceed in this game. The question becomes particularly tough when the kart you are trying to overtake has a "rocket in his pocket" for a motor. We have a few at our local track that are absolutely out of control in the corners, you come up behind them and you don't want to stay long, but they are on the edge of out of control and there doesn't seem to be any way to determine where they are going next, so trying to figure out there "weak spot" or an area you can take advantage of is almost impossible. The longer you stay behind them the more your chances are of being caught up in their mess.
We have others that don't even give you the courtesy of a small tap with the "chrome horn" if they come up behind you they will absolutely drive right through you, by that I mean they plant their bumper in your back/side and stay on the gas till they have spun you. Is this the type of behavior that is needed? I was always taught that if you couldn't get around someone cleanly then you are not doing it right (now keep in mind that my journey in to karting is a retirement thing after racing cars for 17 years. I am of an older generation and many of my thoughts and deeds seem dated) but I just don't know how much of this contact is acceptable anymore (sorry Cole Trickle, but "rubbin is NOT racing" in my book.) It seems that the overly aggresive are rewarded by their tactics, no real punishment is ver dealt out so these incidents just turn out to be "another racin deal." But does that make it right or am I livin in the past?
Old 30 Aug 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1697236)   #2
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi jjordan, from past experience my advice would be to stick like glue to the guy in front of you and wait for a mistake, if this doesn't happen then you will need to pick a spot where you are going to try a move (a slow harpin is always favourite), practice some alternative lines before making your move.

You will always have some contact in karting, this could be 'bump drafting' on straights, which is very common, or during a lunge up the inside of someone into a corner. Normally the circuit officials and observers will determine whether it is acceptable or not, normally in the form of a caution black/white flag in the case of the latter.

If you are the victim of some robust driving in early heats, then have a word with the officials, they can then look out for a repitition in later heats/finals and if it is one particular driver penalise him accordingly. Certainly here in the UK the level of officialdom is generally very good, IMO !

You could always follow Paul Tracey's example of course !

Good luck, Paul.