Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

View Poll Results: Should a "Joker Lap" be used in Rallycross?
Yes - There should be one at every circuit. 9 14.06%
No - There shouldn't be any. 32 50.00%
Maybe - Only at circuits with no natural overtaking spots. 19 29.69%
Don't care - It's still Rallycross! 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2247025)   #1
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Ramah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joker Lap In Rallycross?

What about introducing a joker section into Mondello, eg full straight use for 1 lap then back into the normal lap

Just for thoughts but would give the spectators more to see and introduce a little extra.

Any thoughts.....................
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2247030)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Personally I don't like joker laps. I really really don't like them. I just don't get it at all. Overtaking yes - but not by going a different route thanks, might as well just do a super special stage.

But having said that - yes it would be quite easy to do at Mondello as you say. The same at Lydden really - there are options you could use for joker laps (use the tarmac at Chessons or use the cut through half way up the hill).
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2247039)   #3
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Ahh lydden ! one day I will get the starlet over there, I agree with the comments on overtaking but wounder would it be worth trying for a round to see how it would work out, might be interesting
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2247041)   #4
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Bert - I really can't stand joker laps.

What's the point in starting all the cars off together for a good tussle and close racing, only to split them up again?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Rallycross doesn't need joker laps to improve the spectacle - it's exciting enough as it is.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2247052)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog
Rallycross doesn't need joker laps to improve the spectacle - it's exciting enough as it is.
Well said! What I'd like to see at Mondello though is better spectator access to view the third section of rough, but given the location it would be pretty much impossible. However, as they don't use all the main straight then for a couple of rounds why not put in a gigant-o-vision screen down at the armco showing the action in that part of the circuit from a camera on top of the race school?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2247059)   #6
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Personally I don't like joker laps. I really really don't like them. I just don't get it at all.
I agree. It's got a bit of the NASCAR's about it. They'll be bringing out full course yellows for 'debris on the track' soon.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2247063)   #7
mel tyres
Racer

Wales
gods country Wales
mel tyres should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
?

I'll do the driving of the PACE CAR !!!!!!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2247096)   #8
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to disagree with a fellow Maidstonian, but I enjoyed the Joker Lap at the French ERC.

Whilst I agree that a lot of races are exciting enough as it is, and that if they aren't they are soon over and the next race is guaranteed to be exciting, I thought the Joker Lap added a bit of spice to races where, either the leader was miles the lead, or a quicker car was struggling to overtake down the order.

It would be interesting to get some drivers' views on this. I know Mad Mark wasn't the biggest fan of it at the French.

I cannot speak for Mondello, but at Lydden, I would have thought the best place to put the Joker would be in conjunction with the MiniMoto loop at Chessons, i.e. turn off a bit sooner, have a tighter Chesssons then power out towards the Dover Straight. Trying to ensure that the exit speeds were similar to avoid crashes/using an armco for a bit to divide the two tracks like in France.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2247129)   #9
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey
I hate to disagree with a fellow Maidstonian, but I enjoyed the Joker Lap at the French ERC.
I have never driven one but recon it might make for some interesting results all the same. In Mondello the armco feed back in would not work but there is plenty of warning another car is coming as there would be a really good view from both entry points. The point was that it might bring a bit more excitement for the specs, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a screen to see rx3
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2247134)   #10
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of joker lap it should be called load-a-crap!

Gamblers should go to Monte Carlo or Las Vegas!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2247151)   #11
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
The general drift I am getting from the commments is negative but someone likes them because they are still there !
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2247152)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really think it's an OK idea.

You can see the tactics from the quick guys in a joker lap situation and they just peel inot the joker lane if they get a poor start.

In sweden for instance, Stecka and Croon knew that Smerud would not be able to pull away and made a split decision to take their lap straight away

I think it also prevents some of the silly contact, unless the lap is badly set out like Norway and the cars come out side by side at 80 odd mph flat out into each other!!

At Lydden they should just go flat out round teh tarmac Chessons!! Other than that I think Pat could build somehting on the inside of Chessons that includes a bit of a chicane to take a second or so off the normal line.

I think its goo and bad, bad coz it spreads the field out too much, but good coz it enforces a bit of tactics, anyone who can remember Jusse Rasku will know how much of a nightmare it is to have a guy behind you with a quick carwho doesnt care about penalties, bans or anything!

This way pople like him never win, coz they aint as quick!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2247183)   #13
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bert and Co...

The joker lap is good! I didnt like the idea until I saw it for myself, then having raced in europe a couple of times it great, makes it much more tactical and makes the racing very very close.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2247210)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrRACING
...makes it much more tactical and makes the racing very very close.
It may be good if you're driving (I can't comment on that) but from my point of view as a spectator I don't want tactical - I want wheel to wheel racing (F1 is "tactical" - and therefore dull). I don't want drivers sitting back waiting for the joker lap to make a move - just go for it!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2247298)   #15
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
BTW, As in my own language Joker is an adopted English word and solely used for an advantage (playing card, additional chance, etc.) can any of you anglophones explain to me why in RX a longer and/or slower lap (thereby a true disadvantage) is called Joker Lap?

AFAIK in Denmark they do Joker Laps with a shorter and/or faster alternative route which IMO would justify the use of the name.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2247344)   #16
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark it was looked at but wont work on safety, cars would not be joining together in Parallel but at right angles and speed diffrence and lines out of corner would lead to cris cross which would only have 1 outcome there damage to cars.

Last edited by tkiwan; 8 Jul 2008 at 18:00.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2247389)   #17
the learner
Rookie

Ireland
dublin
the learner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it would be good but dont think it would work
what about instead of going through rx3 you take the run through the dummy grid into dunlop......
that would be safer,??
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2247441)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the learner
i think it would be good but dont think it would work
what about instead of going through rx3 you take the run through the dummy grid into dunlop......
that would be safer,??
Depends on who's on the dummy grid at the time!

The serious problem there would be visibility, you wouldn't be able to see over the bank separating the two. At least with Armco you can see the positions of the other cars.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2247443)   #19
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you think ?? Coming straight across to Dunlop with your drivers door pointing at cars coming flatout up the ford straight. Plus loosing the dummy grid slows the event so reducing track time.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2247542)   #20
the learner
Rookie

Ireland
dublin
the learner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah never thought of visibiltly
what about coming out of the hole in the hedge and taking the holiday in ireland loop, re-joining going into rallycross 3
you dont lose the dummy grid and you have visibilty and you are both facing the same direction.?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2247578)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No way. Adding a joker lap, just means your main circuit is a joke. Fix the main circuit if you have too, but don't do something that dumb.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2247585)   #22
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the learner
yeah never thought of visibiltly
what about coming out of the hole in the hedge and taking the holiday in ireland loop, re-joining going into rallycross 3
you dont lose the dummy grid and you have visibilty and you are both facing the same direction.?
Again... corner exit angles.....

Its not really fiasable in mondello
Old 8 Jul 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2247588)   #23
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
No way. Adding a joker lap, just means your main circuit is a joke. Fix the main circuit if you have too, but don't do something that dumb.
FULL ACK! RX organisers/track owners should spent the money available for the joking lap to improve the main track or produce more spots for safe(r) overtaking possibilities.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2247607)   #24
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hard to judge it on TV as your only seeing highlights.....anyone fancy setting up a committee to look into it and we'll go to a few Euro rounds to assess the idea...........all expenses paid of course.....you up for it Mark, bring the Skoda and throw it around like you did last Sunday lol
Old 9 Jul 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2247740)   #25
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
BTW, As in my own language Joker is an adopted English word and solely used for an advantage (playing card, additional chance, etc.) can any of you anglophones explain to me why in RX a longer and/or slower lap (thereby a true disadvantage) is called Joker Lap?
That's actually a good point!! Maybe they meant 'Joke' lap and somebody misheard and Joker caught on.