Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 09:41 (Ref:987952)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some brilliant *cough* James Allen quotes

Post your collection of James's most irritating comments that make you cringe no end...

I was "inspired" to start this thread after yesterdays qualfying performance...

MB: "its 5-2 to Trulli in Qualfying over Alonso...."

JA: " Yes it seems this year Trulli has his head in GEAR... Trulli is really in Alonso's SLIP STREAM this year"

... our heads have gears??

many more coming up after i sit think and cringe....
Old 30 May 2004, 09:56 (Ref:987969)   #2
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep, he really is an oracle of cliches!!
Old 30 May 2004, 10:05 (Ref:987977)   #3
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Some brilliant *cough* James Allen quotes

Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
[BJA: " Yes it seems this year Trulli has his head in GEAR... Trulli is really in Alonso's SLIP STREAM this year"

... our heads have gears??

[/B]
Forget gears, I'd be worried about Trulli being in Alonso's slip stream
Old 30 May 2004, 10:32 (Ref:988002)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yesterday:

JA: "Klein has failed to prove so far that he is the cats whiskers like he promised at the start of the year"
Old 30 May 2004, 11:02 (Ref:988029)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Just explain Martin, for the benefit of those watching at home, what an out-lap is...."
Old 30 May 2004, 11:05 (Ref:988034)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That wasn't at all patronising.

Give your audience the benefit. Even if you'd never watched an F1 race you could work that one out. Let people learn about the sport naturally it is much more rewarding and develops long term fans.
Old 30 May 2004, 11:12 (Ref:988042)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't see ITV ever realising that somehow......
Old 30 May 2004, 11:42 (Ref:988064)   #8
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"well that's a monkey off his back" about JB when he got his first podium!
Ok Then thank you Mr Allan (a monkey??)
Old 30 May 2004, 11:44 (Ref:988065)   #9
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"...an open goal for pole position..."
oh dear.
You'd never tire of slapping him would you!!
Old 30 May 2004, 11:45 (Ref:988066)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Panicing Michael? Nah, he just might have gone a little light on fuel.
Old 30 May 2004, 11:45 (Ref:988067)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Elspeth. A Monkey on the back is a well known saying. It means that you have either got or have inherited a problem.

Getting it off your back refers to solving said problem.

So unfortunately I can't criticise him for it. I said it myself actually.

IIRC James Hunt said it when Nigel Mansell got his first GP win.
Old 30 May 2004, 11:54 (Ref:988082)   #12
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Elspeth. A Monkey on the back is a well known saying. It means that you have either got or have inherited a problem.

Getting it off your back refers to solving said problem.

So unfortunately I can't criticise him for it. I said it myself actually.

IIRC James Hunt said it when Nigel Mansell got his first GP win.
i know its a well known saying it was more the fact he said it a stupid amount of time in the space of a very short time! It got annoying!
Old 30 May 2004, 12:05 (Ref:988090)   #13
hamsmith
Racer

He said it for every little achievment Button made this season and again for Truli. He tends to find a saying he likes and runs with it. I think he would like to be remembered for those little things a little like Murrys 'anything can happen in f1 and it usually does'
Old 30 May 2004, 12:18 (Ref:988094)   #14
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quality thread! Everybody should do themself a favour - instead of enduring JA's drivvle tune your radio into 5 live - no adverts and great commentary by Jonathan Legard and Maurice Hamilton.

Even better - get yourself a digital radio - or tune into it on Sky digital

Still - there are so many james allen-isms I wouldnt know where to start.
Old 30 May 2004, 12:36 (Ref:988112)   #15
hamsmith
Racer

I can't get anything but radio 1 in my house so today i used the bbc website and they cannot let you listen to broardcast because they aren't licenced to do so.
Old 30 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:988122)   #16
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can still tune into their weekly Friday night F1 programme online
Old 30 May 2004, 13:17 (Ref:988141)   #17
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely Five Live is broadcast over the web?
Old 30 May 2004, 13:23 (Ref:988152)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Five live is on the web, but they switch it off when F1 is on, for contractural reasons.
Old 30 May 2004, 13:25 (Ref:988156)   #19
hamsmith
Racer

Thats what i meant.
Old 30 May 2004, 13:53 (Ref:988201)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm in Turkey so I've never heard JA say "monkey off........"
Old 30 May 2004, 14:11 (Ref:988220)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I see Tony Jardine is now vying for the irritating comment crown, today coming up with this gem when talking about Jarno Trulli:

"He looks like a ninja turtle doesn't he, with that hair!"

Oh dear......

And besides, I don't think the ninja turtles had hair anyways. So not only is he talking rubbish he is factually incorrect. A model member of the ITV "team".
Old 30 May 2004, 14:26 (Ref:988241)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
What about those : "Oh look it this Martin" in that child like voice.... THOS ARE ANNOYING!!!
Old 30 May 2004, 14:30 (Ref:988249)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The man is the embodiment of farce.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:01 (Ref:988308)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd think he'd know to say "Grands Prix" rather than "Grand Prixs".
Old 30 May 2004, 15:03 (Ref:988311)   #25
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nina
Quality thread! Everybody should do themself a favour - instead of enduring JA's drivvle tune your radio into 5 live - no adverts and great commentary by Jonathan Legard and Maurice Hamilton.
Definitely recommended - also R5 don't take commercial breaks like ITV do. The only snag is that (during the Premiership season) live football takes precedence over live F1 and then without a digital radio theres no alternative but to endure the ITV commentary and commercial breaks.