Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 14 Feb 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2128651)   #26
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Yes, Mosler, the XK120 was a pretty lovely looking car.

The first time I saw one was in 1952: temporary import by a US entertainer.

Although the car was first made in 1948, for years, they all went to to the USA!

Was offered a white Roadster with a brand new Jag factory engine in 1960 for £120: where did a 19 year old earning £9/week find that sort of cash?

Old 14 Feb 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2128944)   #27
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Chapman was way ahead of the opposition with the Lotus Elite - if only he could have sold them cheaper than an E type Jaguar!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2129004)   #28
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame he didn't think of supplying oilskins as standard!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2129020)   #29
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
I think that's a tad unfair - maybe gross exageration?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2129092)   #30
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Not really: the doors didn't fit and the car leaked like a sieve.

A business acquaintance of mine in Norwich used to be a senior Marketing Manager for Lotus when they moved to Hethel.

On his desk, he had a framed Brockelbank cartoon, showinga stream of trucks delivering raw materials to a factory complete with smokestacks, which was built right next to a steep cliff.

As the cars came out of the factory: they fell down the cliff and were destroyed. The cartoon was intended to represent modern planned obsolescence.

Brockelbank gave the signed original to Chapman at the request of one of the other directors: 'cos it typified his view of owners. He totally hated them!

Really, the original Elite was a de-tuned race car.The Climax engine was problematical too.

Not actually suitable for road use day in day out.

The E Type, of course, was.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2129382)   #31
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Haven't taken ours out in the wet! Hope its been sorted over the years. Having had several assorted Lotus over the years nothing can surprise -I hope!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2129401)   #32
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France

Don't forget your wellies when you do!

Don't get me wrong. The original Elite encapsulated Chapman's design ethos: light; excellent roadholding; good performance mainly because of the power to weight ratio.

"Chunky" tended to design just to last one Grande Epreuve: before things broke!

Which was not a lot of use in a road car!

Unfortunately, it also pointed up the flaws in Lotus attempts at even small volume production.

Still, as you say, after all these years it ought to be marginally sorted by this time!

Perhaps the Elan was a more acceptable "Everyday" car: once Lotus had sorted out minor irritations like the read driveshaft bungies tying themselves in knots if you went away from stationary too dramatically!

And the fuel frothing because the Rubber O ring plates were so badly designed. Where the carbs hand't actually fallen off as the manifold fractured due to the weight of a pair of 40 DCOEs shaking like a wet jelly!

Same prob with the Lotus Cortina until the bonded joint plates arrived.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2261716)   #33
Mudbug
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
Mudbug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar E-type
Morris Minor
Aston Martin DB5
Jaguar XJ6
Mini
Old 23 Sep 2008, 04:58 (Ref:2295790)   #34
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 4 are having another go at this: http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gall...ature/23840/11 You can vote for your choice, but only if it agrees with theirs!
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2296393)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A Maxi "ahead of its time" "Yeah" right, with that cable operated gear change it was a pain in the arse
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2296401)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The E-Type and the MGB are in the '70s. The best versions were in the '60s. The '70s-'80s list is very long, the sixties too short. Dimbos.
Old 2 Nov 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2326448)   #37
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely jaguar xjs should be on there.. at least as high as the XJ6 as it was the 'car that saved jaguar'
Old 3 Nov 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2326650)   #38
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Not for mine - it was after all the car the spy photographer dismissed as "surely they won't be making that ugly thing" wasn't it? What car in the list of 20 would you exclude?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2326690)   #39
westfieldbend
Veteran

i would go for one of the not totally british ones - nissan bluebird or ford GT40
Old 4 Nov 2008, 05:50 (Ref:2327587)   #40
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Fair comment particularly the Bluebird!
Old 5 Nov 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2329047)   #41
westfieldbend
Veteran

it depends whether you count british as made in britain or owned by british
Old 6 Nov 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2329168)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
How can you have a list like this without including a Morgan? I once had a 1960s Morgan Plus 4 with the Triumph TR2 engine and though it was fantastic at the time.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2343117)   #43
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley "Flying Spur"
Old 2 Dec 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2345640)   #44
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
de Havilland Mosquito, best looking plane ever.

Oh, cars. Soz.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2349855)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
surely jaguar xjs should be on there.. at least as high as the XJ6 as it was the 'car that saved jaguar'
I like the XJS, but the XJ6 is a proper Jaguar, it is what they do best.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2350238)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
How can you have a list like this without including a Morgan?
Because Richard Hammond is a fan of them.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2351222)   #47
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I have to admit that it is a deterrent, but I went to school in Malvern and my my first sports car was a Morgan Plus-4, which I collected from the factory, so you have to understand my enthusiasm. For the record, my son also went to Malvern for a while and the son and daughter of a good friend of mine are there now, so the links are very strong. Incidentally, said son was in the Top Gear audience once and said the Hamster is a complete poser.

After that revelation, I shall be writing to Morgan suggesting that they lend me a car for at least a week; a year would be nice...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2452656)   #48
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greatest British Car well that would have to be the Vauxhall Cavalier, better know to us Aussies as the Holden Camira. Was it as great a success in the UK as it was here?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2453259)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Greatest British Car well that would have to be the Vauxhall Cavalier, better know to us Aussies as the Holden Camira. Was it as great a success in the UK as it was here?
The Cavalier was a success in the UK and although not really exciting was a good reliable workhorse that was cheap to run and was the mainstay of many a reps cars for years. There are still loads kicking about.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Apr 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2453270)   #50
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The Cavalier was a success in the UK and although not really exciting was a good reliable workhorse that was cheap to run and was the mainstay of many a reps cars for years. There are still loads kicking about.
The first Camira over here won Car of the Year in 1982. However they had a dreadful name here and where never the success they should have been for many reasons mostly due to awful reliability etc.

I do remeber though that when I was running a workshop for a leading Holden dealer that we used to get a Convetable Cavalier in for servicing, it belong to the wife of a former Managing Director of Vaxhaull. The only time I could readly get the mechanics to do the worst jobs in when was when I had that car there, they used to beg not to be made to work on it.