Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 14 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2202168)   #1
RichardBlank
Rookie

RichardBlank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are YUGOs considered classics?

After reading a few threads, I wanted to introduce myself to this community. I look forward to sharing ideas with other forum members in regards to our rides.

I currently own a 1990 YUGO GVX. 42 mpg and it is in mint condition. Has anyone ever been in one or would even consider it a classic?

Best regards,

Richard

Old 14 May 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2202420)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome; I hope this is not a wind up! We've tried to define 'classic' without a lot of success. All cars seem to be regarded as classics once they reach a certain age and there are fewer of them about. However, that is not my view; they may be collectable on rarity grounds eventually, but many are not classic. I guess that once Yugos get to a certain age they may become collectable but I don't see them as ever being classics any more than say Allegros, Marinas, Cavaliers, Sierras, Mondeos, Ladas, Moskvitch etc. Sadly, as with other words in the English language, we have grossly misused the word 'classic' in recent years and whilst I try to preach tolerance, I'm frankly fed up with its misuse. If no-one can give me good reason, I'm moving this thread to the Road Car forum within the next 48 hours regardless of the word appearing in the thread title!
Old 14 May 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2202427)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd probably take issue with you on the Mondeo, simply because they took the Mustang principle (you can have any engine/trim/colour etc.) and applied it to a Euro car. And in my experience it was bloody good. But, the Yugo?

I think our poster is attempting to spark a discussion rather than being fobbed off into Road cars. I vote it stays here. Don't forget that chassis produced the 124 Spider.
Old 14 May 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2202490)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't mind if it stays or moves as long as there's good discussion going on
Old 14 May 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2202494)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so.... the Yugo a classic eh? Well put it this way- it would be sad if we ended up with no examples left, not even in a museum. i would say it's classic in terms of it's place in history but in this case 'classic' doesn't imply quality!
Old 14 May 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2202577)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes I've worked on a couple of Yugo's over the years, enough said ! Its only a Fiat with all the rubbish electrics.
Mind you Trabants have a cult following, so there is hope

Actually cars, like art are subjective, so who knows ?

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 14 May 2008 at 22:22.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 May 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2202640)   #7
RichardBlank
Rookie

RichardBlank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys,

I really appreciate the time and the replies to my thread.

Driving a YUGO has it's advantages. There is never a shortage of people asking questions, making jokes and finally, begging for a ride.

Classic, that may be stretching it. But conversation piece, it could be one of the best.

safe driving,

Richard
Old 15 May 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2203189)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, it stays - I was feeling grumpy yesterday. However, my view of the debasement of the word 'classic' still stands, and however good the Mondeo is/was it won't be a classic in my eyes, Peter. Most (but not all) mass produced cars aren't. I think that for such a car to be regarded as a classic it has to be technically innovative - Issigonis Minor and Mini come to mind as examples although they otherwise wouldn't fit my idea of 'classic'. On the other hand, I agree with Bluebottle that a few examples of any car should survive; hence my preference for the term 'collectable' to describe them.
Old 15 May 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2203208)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So you're sticking to your view on the Moskvitch then..........
Old 15 May 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2203330)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Have I missed something? Is it a classic?
Old 15 May 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2203343)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=80098&page=7
I presume you read my post then
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 May 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2203730)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Have I missed something? Is it a classic?

No John, I was just in 'prat' mode......... It's what happens every year when I get to within a month of Le Mans.........
Old 16 May 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2203820)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, gotcha! Lots of pics of the Lola Aston on your website, when you get back please.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2203834)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'll do my best
Old 9 Aug 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2266464)   #15
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Yes I've worked on a couple of Yugo's over the years, enough said ! Its only a Fiat with all the rubbish electrics.
Mind you Trabants have a cult following, so there is hope

Actually cars, like art are subjective, so who knows ?
Same could be said for Rancho's.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2266715)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yugo

I think one of my fav ever adverts was for Yugo back in 1987...but I couldn't find it!@...this one is OK though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dso9bAYCvKA

This is similar to my fav...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geyfm9iUDWs&NR=1

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 10 Aug 2008 at 10:36.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2359676)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As was said earlier Yugos grew out of the Fiat 124 and there were also Yugo versions of the Uno, I think. There is also a pretty healthy Yugo racing and hillclimbing scene in the former Yugoslavia. One company, Jupiter Racing, makes its living from developing and selling performance parts for the Fiat SOHC (as used in many Fiats, early SEATs and Yugos) so its probably an important part of the Fiat story, and a source of prformance parts for some Fiats and may be a "classic" for that reason. The Yugo "story" is also an important part of European history. I take the point that cars that are considered as "classics" should probably have been considered good cars in the first place but some cars are classic without being very good at all (Morgan anybody!!). Perhaps Yugos are "historics" cars, if not necessarily "classic" cars?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2359701)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
As was said earlier Yugos grew out of the Fiat 124
Hmmm...I missed that one! As far as I know, Yugo never built the 124 - their best-known models were 127 or 128-based.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2359708)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, finger trouble, I meant 128!
Old 26 Dec 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2361105)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Hmmm...I missed that one! As far as I know, Yugo never built the 124 - their best-known models were 127 or 128-based.
124 is the base of the classic Lada 2101/2105/2107... and that is a classic, if you consider that is one of the models most produced in the history of the automobile... (and is still in production!).
Old 2 Jan 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2363901)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Welcome; I hope this is not a wind up! We've tried to define 'classic' without a lot of success. All cars seem to be regarded as classics once they reach a certain age and there are fewer of them about. However, that is not my view; they may be collectable on rarity grounds eventually, but many are not classic. I guess that once Yugos get to a certain age they may become collectable but I don't see them as ever being classics any more than say Allegros, Marinas, Cavaliers, Sierras, Mondeos, Ladas, Moskvitch etc. Sadly, as with other words in the English language, we have grossly misused the word 'classic' in recent years and whilst I try to preach tolerance, I'm frankly fed up with its misuse. If no-one can give me good reason, I'm moving this thread to the Road Car forum within the next 48 hours regardless of the word appearing in the thread title!
The RS500 Cosworth Sierra will be a classic wont it? Much revered for 600bhp rollerskate racing cars that won everything worth winning until the Nissan Skyline GT-R came along....

They may not be worth much in the UK, but a genuine RS500 is ~A$60k+ here

Oh.. and a Yugo isnt a classic.. isnt it a brand of yoghurt
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Jan 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2367444)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we were never lucky (?) enough to get Yugo's here, we had to make to with the FSM Nikin aka Polish Fiat 128. Not to forget the Lada Samara and Niva - purportedly the cars were paid for with wheat rather than currency when they were imported!
Old 8 Jan 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2367473)   #23
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Yugo is basically a Ford Festiva...