Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3787638)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
SILVERSTONE BENTLEY DRIVERS CLUB

A unique atmosphere usually pervades at this annual BDC meeting.

Includes Morgan Challenge.

FISCAR Inter-Marque race
Old 23 Jul 2018, 06:29 (Ref:3838195)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Will bauble grace us with his presence at this unique meeting?

Expect wall to wall Bentleys (no surprise really), including a considerable number of pre-war models. My first visit was as ‘riding mechanic’ in the late Jack Sears 8 litre ‘Forrest Lycett Special’, and the journey from West Norfolk in the early morning of a glorious summer’s day will remain etched in my memory for ever.

As well as the usual Morgan Challenge race there is the ‘Techniques Trophy’ for 4 cylinder cars only. I’m racing the ‘Spa 6hrs’ +4 in that, while the owner races his modern V6 steed in the Challenge.

One day, short circuit, but it is sure to be a lot of fun.....
Old 23 Jul 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3838244)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike the BDC is, for me, the highlight of the year, and I will be working for MOG Magazine to record the derring do of the assorted racers, so you might get a mention in dispatches.
I was accredited to the Classic, but 'family responsibilities' intervened and so I missed it for the first time. I actually go back as far as when a meeting was sponsored by Mulberry, before morphing into the Classic via the Coy's. Not many people know that.

It is nice to read so many positive comments on the Classic, and from those who know their historic racing. It can't be all bad I suppose. Well done Goose. Maybe I'll take a gander next year.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3840423)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Looks like it’s going to be scorchio again, so (almost) glad the BDC Sports Car Challenge race is only 15 minutes in duration!

Realised it’s several years since I competed on the National Circuit, so been checking out on board videos to confirm the layout hasn’t changed. If all goes to plan I may get to drive a few laps on Friday afternoon as well.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3840640)   #5
mark77
Rookie

mark77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 spare tickets available

I've got 2 tickets that sadly I won't be able to use - please let me know if you want them (free - just a donation in a charity pot)
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3840649)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark, PM sent.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3841483)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Phew, these sprint races are too stressful- going to stick to endurance stuff in future

The BDC Sports Car Challenge race I was entered in had two races within the race. The main body of cars were in the ‘Techniques Trophy’, which is for 4 cylinder Morgans of any vintage, running on 70% profile tyres or Ls. So from Leigh Sebba’s 1953 +4 this time to brand new 2018 factory built ‘Club Sports’. Non Morgans in the ‘Classic Challenge’ included John Andon’s TR4, a TR3A, David Cottingham’s gorgeous AC Ace Bristol (also doing the FISCAR race), MGAs and a B. 27 cars entered, down to 24 by qualifying, and 22 for the race. (Some of the Morgans also doing and failing in the Morgan Challenge races...)

I qualified 7th in the ‘Spa 6hrs’ FIA spec 1960 +4 SuperSports ‘evocation’ (the body having been changed to the low line version during restoration years ago), happy to be ahead of the other FIA cars, but frustrated to be pipped by the TR4. With the race utilising a standing start, that introduced a challenge almost forgotten nowadays......

With an extra green flag lap due to a delay after the first- some cars in the wrong grid positions being the problem- the super speedy light sequence almost caught the whole field napping. I managed a so-so getaway, but better than many, and by Copse was well ahead of the TR4 and right behind 5 Morgans, including two 2018 ClubSports, pole man Tim Parsons in a very quick 2009 4/4, and James Sumner’s 1972 4/4 fitted with a modern Ford 16 valve engine. For the next few laps I had a great race with the 2 ClubSports, eventually getting past them both, but not pulling away. One then spun exiting Luffield, which took some pressure off, but the other hung onto my tail for the rest of the race, forcing me to take defensive line in one or two places. Lapping slower cars was also a challenge......

Final result, P4 in TT and main race, with the first CC car home being the TR4 in 7th. Fantastic fun, so huge thanks to Simon for trusting me with his +4. Was great to beat a lot of modern cars! The entertainment value apparently provided by my battle with the two ClubSports resulted in getting ‘Driver of the Race’ award- and it’s drinkable!

A lovely relaxed meeting- the complete opposite of the recent Classic! I enjoy them both, especially with good weather.... And it was nice to bump into tenthers Louise and Jason Kennedy, racing their Aurelia!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3841531)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Photographic evidence to support these claims will follow later, as many were confused by a certain 'Michael Bell' doing rather well.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3841547)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Mike .
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3841577)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That sounds like an excellent run Mike.

And a drinkable award too ...bravo.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3841602)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
many were confused by a certain 'Michael Bell' doing rather well.
One needs to be correct for the BDC, Bob.....
Old 5 Aug 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3841604)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Proof positive;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0003.jpg   _MG_0041.jpg   _MG_0452.jpg  

_MG_0477.jpg   _MG_0526.jpg   _MG_0620.jpg  

Old 5 Aug 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3841605)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
One needs to be correct for the BDC, Bob.....
Er! Robert Francis if you please , sir!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3841621)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Er! Robert Francis if you please , sir!
Great sequence of pics, Robert. Thank you for posting.

The other two protagonists are #69 Tony Hirst and #21 Craig Hamilton-Smith, both regular Morgan Challenge competitors. They also raced in the 2 Championship races at the meeting, so had a busy day, but used more modern tyres for those. (Avon ZZs for the TT, same as we had on the +4.)

Again, a great one day event, very much enjoyed....
Old 5 Aug 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3841686)   #15
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fame at last - I've made it to one of Bauble's photographs (No. 4 in the sequence where the 21 is just starting to spin out, I'm the spectator in the background )

I have to agree with Mike, this was a really good event from my point of view on the other side of the fence.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3841730)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Fame at last - I've made it to one of Bauble's photographs (No. 4 in the sequence where the 21 is just starting to spin out, I'm the spectator in the background )

I have to agree with Mike, this was a really good event from my point of view on the other side of the fence.
Sorry about that, damn cars got in the way just as I as focusing on you
Old 8 Aug 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3842372)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yPNNs9CJid38qXJN8

Pictures from The BDC Sports Car race featuring Michael Bell.