Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2755591)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Huge shake-up for Calder Raceway

According to an article in this weeks edition of the Brimbank Leader Newspaper (local paper in Calders area) written by Geoff Rounds states that Calder Park is about to be redeveloped.

I cant find an on line version and from memory copyright rules on this site prevent me retyping the whole thing so I'll give you the editted highlights.

Under redevelopment, the 101ha property is to be to an international standard motorsport complex, with some backing from the Victorian government and rebuilt to FIA standards.

Circuit owner and tyre king Bob Jane ruled out the likelihood of Calder Park being the future home of the F1GP.

Jane has signed a Heads of Agreement with the state government.

The track will be extended to either 3.4 or 4km.

The nearby rail line is to be electrified to Sunbury in the next few years.

I've also seen elsewhere that the state governmant has encouraged Calder & ANDRA to sit down and discuss returning championship drag racing to Calder Park.

The only other thing to be answered is that if it's to be rebuilt to FIA standards does that mean Bob & CAMS are talking

For those who have not been to Calder for a few years and want to see what's been done out there use this nearmap link which has an aerial photo from back in early July (you can also choose older photo's so you can track the changes).

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.66755...k&nmd=20100711
Old 7 Sep 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2755607)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have heard the drifters making positive noise about this also, and their sources are probably going to be far different to the ones that mainstream motorsport have, so maybe this is a possibility?
I wouldn't go holding my breath though...
Old 7 Sep 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2755614)   #3
adrenalinmatt1
Rookie

adrenalinmatt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need Thunderdome to make a come back!!

If they held a Thunderdome Stock Car race like they did in the late 80s I would fly down to Melbourne!
Old 7 Sep 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2755620)   #4
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they had that in Mnews acouple of weeks ago.

Big Labor (state) election promise.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 7 Sep 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2755758)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is definitely time for a complete rebuild.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2755767)   #6
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard about the Drag Racing talks last week in AA, but not the bit about the circuit. Just wonder how it will be done and what it will look like (and if they are going to build a separate drag race facility, as fanciful as that sounds)
Old 7 Sep 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2755978)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033 View Post
if they are going to build a separate drag race facility, as fanciful as that sounds
The original proposal from a couple of years ago was to have the road course dodge the drag strip by going around the old Gloweave corner at the top of the straight and then rejoining the strip past the timing boards.

There was also talk of extending the track down past turn 1 closer to Calder Park Drive and running around the Power Pylons down there to get the extra length.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2755981)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats the bet it will be poo poo'd by the local residents who have moved into Hillside and Taylors Lakes because it will be too noisy, even though the circuit existed before most of them were born?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 02:42 (Ref:2756013)   #9
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
whats the bet it will be poo poo'd by the local residents who have moved into Hillside and Taylors Lakes because it will be too noisy, even though the circuit existed before most of them were born?
That argument didn't work for Amaroo or Oran Park.....
Old 8 Sep 2010, 02:54 (Ref:2756016)   #10
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Calder is in an area that cannot be zoned residental due to being under flight path of the proposed 2nd East-West runway for the Melbourne Airport.

It's also the only track I know which doesn't have noise restrictions, this dates back to the Thunderdome & Drags Nationals era but I believe is still current.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2756019)   #11
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Jane was interviewed on the PA at Muscle Car at the weekend. He said something along the lines of that the redevelopment plans were progressing, that the Thunderdome was included and that he saw NASCAR back there in "Three to Five years".

Make of that what you will.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2756021)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
they've put a copy up on line so here's a link to it.

http://brimbank-leader.whereilive.co...-park-raceway/
Old 8 Sep 2010, 04:25 (Ref:2756029)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
Bob Jane was interviewed on the PA at Muscle Car at the weekend. He said something along the lines of that the redevelopment plans were progressing, that the Thunderdome was included and that he saw NASCAR back there in "Three to Five years".
Yeah okay Bob.......
Old 8 Sep 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2756134)   #14
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, here I was thinking we were going to get through a whole year without the almost annual 'Calder Park to have major upgrades' press release.

As much as I'd love to see the joint get a nice coat of paint, I'll believe when I see it!

I've heard that the State Govenment will only provide the funding if CAMS and ANDRA agree to run sanctioned national events there.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2756456)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
I've heard that the State Govenment will only provide the funding if CAMS and ANDRA agree to run sanctioned national events there.
If true that would also mean no funding for anything else to do with CAMS or ANDRA if they cant organise events there.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2761744)   #16
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was out there yesterday for the 1st time in over ten years. The place is disgusting. The Thunderdome looks like the end of the world has happened. Huge amount of seats missing and overgrown with weeds. Wish I'd taken a photo, totally amazing sight.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2762255)   #17
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
I was out there yesterday for the 1st time in over ten years. The place is disgusting. The Thunderdome looks like the end of the world has happened. Huge amount of seats missing and overgrown with weeds.
and obviously that is exactly how he likes it.

Calder and AIR as they are now are his legacy to Australian Motorsport.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2762376)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
Huge amount of seats missing and overgrown with weeds.
If you click on the NearMap link in my first post at the start of the thread you can look around the complex. I particularly like the Multiview function which activates once you zoom in fairly close which give you a look at it from about a 45 degree angle in up to 4 different directions (N, S, E or W) rather than just overhead.

I haven't been inside Calder for well over 12 months but from what I can tell looking at it "from above" using NearMap it looks like a lot of the old Thunderdome seating has been moved to around the Drag Startline area which makes sense as the Street Drags are the only non track hire revenue the place has at present.

The local rag had another piece last week about NASCAR possibly returning but they didn't pin it up on their web site so I didn't bother to share it with the rest of you. Besides lets wait and see if Drags and Circuit Racing returns first and the Dome would be a bonus.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2763226)   #19
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In todays Herald Sun.
Calder, Avalon in new GP plan

Quote:
The State Government, the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport and Calder Park owner Bob Jane have signed a deal to investigate options for a track that would meet the approval of the FIA, the governing body of grands prix.

FIA chiefs will fly into Melbourne to assess how Calder could hold international drag racing or other motor racing events - including F1.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2763246)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
In todays Herald Sun.
Calder, Avalon in new GP plan
I think if they did that, they'd have to tear everything down and start anew.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2763269)   #21
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think if they did that, they'd have to tear everything down and start anew.
Sounds like a good plan

Personally i think the Avalon idea has more merit.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2763288)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Also mentioned in The Age today.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/austr...5nb8.html#poll

An FIA F1 standard track will need to be at least 5km long and considering Calder is currently around 2.5km long they've got to find another 2.5km of track space plus room for spectators.

The original post and link has Bob Jane saying the GP wont move from Albert Park so who knows.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2763302)   #23
darcia2
Rookie

darcia2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Walker on 3aw this morning said that Albert Park has contract till 2015. what happen next is up to the Government at the time.. but to my thinking As long as Ron is still around he and Bernie will call the shots......
Old 23 Sep 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2763324)   #24
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie will take it wherever the money comes from. Avalon seems a better idea (start from scratch) but Calder deserves new life. Bob working with CAMS again?!?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2763338)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
An FIA F1 standard track will need to be at least 5km long and considering Calder is currently around 2.5km long they've got to find another 2.5km of track space plus room for spectators.
Only 68% of current F1 circuits are long than 5km, change that to 4.3km and everyone but Monaco makes it. Still, Jane has always wanted F1, Calder's 1980-84 extravaganzas were intended to get F1 to come to Calder, although with laps taking just 44 seconds or so at the time the venue was always woefully inadequate. I guess if they could impress with their organisation thet could redevelop the site if they got the go ahead. But little to Bob's knowledge at the time South Australian government were taking to Bernie...