Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2470014)   #126
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Faulty Vernier??
Cam walk? On the chevy when you run a roller cam you have to fit a button to the timing wheel which indexes on the timing cover which should be reinforced or have something indexing against it from the water pump if not it can crack. Also if it is a stock engine and has the Ford run quite timing gears it could have done them in as I recollect a mate of mine had a big block Mustang CobraJet (that thing was quick) and sat at the lights one day, revved the engine and stipped the gear bending all the valves!
Old 27 May 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2470019)   #127
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
is hea French Hotel proprieter?

I'd say that Galaxy needs a completely new engine from a completely new source judging by the bad Karma its had in the last year!
Thats exactley what we are doing Jo. I had the delightfull task "NOT" of telling the engine builder yesterday.Shame as i got on very well with him and he has built some fine climax engines for us over the years.
Old 27 May 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2470027)   #128
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Horses for courses, would you ask Vizzard to build a V8?
Old 27 May 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2470046)   #129
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I wasn't having a poke at the builder, more that the specific engine has been plagued with problems to everyones frustration, I've had similar in the past and I ended up just starting from scratch to eliminate all possibilities of cross contamination!

spot on Peter, they are horses for courses, in a manner of speaking
Old 27 May 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2470065)   #130
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dont foget we have had a lot of races in the galaxie with trouble free running. It was last year at the GP when the first one blew which was down to his mate at Dijon the week before. "He is not driving the car again".
Old 27 May 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2470072)   #131
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Dont foget we have had a lot of races in the galaxie with trouble free running. It was last year at the GP when the first one blew which was down to his mate at Dijon the week before. "He is not driving the car again".
So is the TC cover off yet?And did you get my PM?
Old 27 May 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2470074)   #132
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
NO and Yes.
Old 27 May 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2470076)   #133
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
NO and Yes.

O and K.
Old 27 May 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2470434)   #134
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio View Post
Erm, HOW much kerb through Paddock Mr Wills!!??............
With a thing that big and unwieldy, it seems best to use as much on the inside of the corner as possible as it seems to want to go a long way out the opposite side of the track on the exit!!!
Old 27 May 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2470442)   #135
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Only 10 car grid in the over 2l pre-66 saloons seems a bit dire? Will Monday's grid be any better?

What happened to Roger's Bizza?
Broke a drive shaft but the guys had a new one made for Sun/Mon.
Old 27 May 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2470443)   #136
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Here you go:-

I have some video of the Big Bangers (well Rogers M1a really! A very lucky guy!) Qualifying.
Was drooling over this in the pits, under Richard Dodkins awning (getting some nice bits for my toy).

Problems with my Google Uploading login - but will get this sorted.
Would be great to see some video clips if you have a chance to send the link.
Old 27 May 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2470444)   #137
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
What's the story behind the damage on Roger's Bizzarrini? Was that fresh this weekend?
No, it was from an incident at Donington a few weeks back.

Last edited by rogerwills; 27 May 2009 at 19:18. Reason: Donington, not Brands
Old 27 May 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2470448)   #138
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I think it must be from a recent meeting - all freshly beaten out front and back - I took my pic's just after lunch Sunday. Maybe it could have been Saturday (but was not there).

Awesome bit of kit - not seen one before and never thought that much of them - definately changed mind - amazing bit of kit and so well engineering with the Chevy SOOO far back (love the cross over Quad webber 45s - though 48's or 50's would have been more suitable).
Unfortunately we are restricted to running 45s although in period they ran Holleys and 48s or 50s but a little later than the pre-66 cut-off.
Old 27 May 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2470454)   #139
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Thanks for a great weekend guys. Well done to all, especially Roger Wills, so many great drives in great cars (shame about the co-drivers), Simon Hatfield, especially in the Lola T292 and the Williams, Mike Lyons for his great drive in the Grand Prix Masters along with Katsu Kubota, Jackie Oliver for his entertainment in the BMW and the A35 (what black flag??!!) and Simon Stretton for his performance in the Jag.
Favourite cars of the meeting: The Bizzarini, Mercury Comet (such a nice colour), the F1 BRM (lovely to see it again), Hans Hugenboltz's GT40 (the best racing car ever), all the T70s, Tony Smith's Ferrari Dino, all the Batmobiles and certainly Shaun Lyons' fantastic Capri.
Shame about the incident in the GDs race, fortunately "Bodysnatcher", "MattFord" and Kerry were on hand to deal with it quickly. Apart from that, a top class meeting.
Hope to see quite a lot of you at Snetterton this weekend.

Thanks again.
Nick.
Thanks for the kind words. I will try to put a few thoughts together from the weekend but firstly wanted to say thanks to all the officials and marshals. I thought it was an incredibly well run meeting.

A special thanks to a couple of the people in orange in the assembly area including one extremely kind lady who gave me water having jumped from one car straight into another. Very much appreciated.

We will be at Snetterton this weekend so see you there!

Roger
Old 27 May 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2470514)   #140
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Horses for courses, would you ask Vizzard to build a V8?
Err yes definitely especially a SB Chevy, he has wrote scores of good articles on the engine and I always consult his 'How to Build a Small Block Chevy' book when I am building an engine, he is one of my favourite easy to read technical writers on the subject.

I bet he would have done a better job than the 'professional' that built this engine for Richard Lloyds 2008 Tour Brittania entry and which I haplessly purchased, this happened after just 4 laps and I swear was never revved beyond 6000rpm.

Old 27 May 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2470535)   #141
phatphoto
Rookie

United Kingdom
phatphoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A whole load more photos from Sat/Sun & Mon http://www.phatphoto.com/phatgallery...php?cat_id=277
Old 28 May 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2470653)   #142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Err yes definitely especially a SB Chevy, he has wrote scores of good articles on the engine and I always consult his 'How to Build a Small Block Chevy' book when I am building an engine, he is one of my favourite easy to read technical writers on the subject.
Touche.
Old 28 May 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2470683)   #143
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And if anyone wants to see the Elan crash turn to page 17 of todays Sun - glad to read he was ok.
Old 28 May 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2470687)   #144
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The Sun Simon! If anyone wants to see vidoe footage,check over in the Marshals thread's.Apparently,its been there since Sunday.
Old 28 May 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2470690)   #145
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
The Sun Simon! If anyone wants to see vidoe footage,check over in the Marshals thread's.Apparently,its been there since Sunday.
That's amazing Terence........since the incident happened on Monday!
Old 28 May 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2470699)   #146
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
10/10s first with the news!
Old 28 May 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2470702)   #147
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say that I will probably pass on watching the video - a good friend nearly lost his life at Paddock Hill Bend a few years ago barrel rolling his Allard in probably a similar accident.
As for the Sun - I read it every day, it makes me the broad minded chap that I am ; )
Old 28 May 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2470710)   #148
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that one Simon. Was still marshalling back then and the worst accident I had to deal with for sure.

And I wondered if someone got photos of it...
Old 28 May 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2470712)   #149
simon drabble
Veteran

Ironically it was also a Gentleman Drivers race but in Carol's day - I am pleased to say that whilst he wont race again he has fully recovered.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2470724)   #150
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
That's amazing Terence........since the incident happened on Monday!

I hate these early mornings!
Although I do not like the fact that people do film these things [I have not watched it] for similar reasons Simon.Apparently it shows how quickly the Marshal's reacted to the incident,thank god for these dedicated people! Well done lads!!

Tags
historic motorsport, masters