Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Apr 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2669946)   #1
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
kylekosir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which Series would you pick as your next step?

If you were a karter and you had to make a series pick, which would you pick and why? Based on Cost, performance and etc

Formula BMW- Cost $285,000 (0-60 (3.0 seconds) Top Speed 140mph

Formula Renault- Cost $200,000 (Undisclosed) Top Speed 140 mph

Formula Ford- Cost $100,000 (3.7 seconds) Top Speed 140mph

Formula Vee (1200 in Canada)-(4.2 Seconds) Cost $21,000 Top Speed 140 Mph

If i made a mistake please don't freak out, just let me know. Also All cost are based on Canadian Funds.

Thank you
Old 10 Apr 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2669971)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the UK, I would say to forget FFord (totally irrelevant to any single seaters other than historics) and FVee (doesn't really exist over here). FBMW is more expensive and has less media coverage and public attention (even though it supports some F1 races) than British FRenault. But that's talking about European FBMW.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2670051)   #3
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about FPA? If only I had the money, I would move into that after this season in Superkarts.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2670064)   #4
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
In the UK, I would say to forget FFord (totally irrelevant to any single seaters other than historics) and FVee (doesn't really exist over here).
To say Formula Ford is 'totally irrelevant' is silly. True, it doesn't have sequential boxes or wings, but what about learning circuits, race craft, understanding mechanical grip etc? Formula Vee does exist over here, with full grids. But it isn't on the 'ladder' to F1 at all.

Plenty of other series you could mention, BARC Formula Renault and FPA, or are you talking about the ladder in the USA? Presumably you are because your talking dollars. Formula Renault cars exceed 140mph btw. I think FF Duratecs do too at some fast circuits, quicker in a straight line over FBMW. (There's also plenty of other threads about the pros and cons of several single-seater series and budgets etc).
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2670068)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd pick fford duratec without any shadow of a doubt, i'd run the car myself with the assistance of an engineer/mechanic and the best data system i could afford, and learn the first year, then spend the money on a championship winning team if i felt it necessary the following year.

the rest will teach you very little that will assist you in being a racing driver in terms of available data, silly regs or track time, or won't give you enough respect for your future career.

if i had a big wad of cash or some big sponsor i'd try and get some f3 testing in at the same time though wherever regulations allowed.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2670071)   #6
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 10 Apr 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2670077)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It depends on if you honestly expect your career to make it all the way to getting paid to drive top level single seaters, if you do then Renault is definately the best option (or maybe a year of ford then graduate to renault).

Many F1 drivers did it (Kimi went straight from renault to F1) - so it has a good rep

Renault have a driver development program & a career ladder (although how much longer that will last is unknown)

British series gets live free to air TV

If you have a tight budget already, it will only get tighter in more senior championships so you may as well forget it.

If you realise that you are talented but the chance of F1 is remote (or your daddy isn't as rich as you might hope), then do a year or 2 of F-Ford then switch into something with a roof.

edit - Bella's point about buying test time in something bigger is a good one
Old 10 Apr 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2670341)   #8
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I have a question then.
Im the PR and Marketing director for the Canadian Formula 1200 (Vee) series. How did Formula BMW success so many years? It seems outrageous in terms of pricing and what you really get as a stepping ladder. And does it really come down to the driver? Or is it more of a team?
Old 11 Apr 2010, 03:04 (Ref:2670393)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
I have a question then.
Im the PR and Marketing director for the Canadian Formula 1200 (Vee) series. How did Formula BMW success so many years? It seems outrageous in terms of pricing and what you really get as a stepping ladder. And does it really come down to the driver? Or is it more of a team?
Why did it have success for a few years:

1. Marketing hype and slick hospitality(for the low end of the open wheel ladder)

2. Various prizes at times which included F1 tests

3. Backing from BMW

4. Rich dads willing to cough up thinking a "name" series would look better for junior. Nice hospitality and other visibility made it easier to pass the cost off as a tax write off for business dealings and other B2B stuff. Once the "funny money" from the real estate and financial sector vanished so did FBMW.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2670440)   #10
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
I have a question then.
the option to win a test with BMW F1 was a big plus
Old 11 Apr 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2670515)   #11
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
and now that BMW F1 is gone? Now it just slowly goes away? what a real shame. It just come and goes like no 2morrow
Old 11 Apr 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2670522)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
bella and runshaw have it spot on.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2670660)   #13
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always been a big Formula Ford fan for gaining the basics, but in the UK I think you also have to look at Formula Renault as a great entry level formula. The fact that FR offer so much Quality testing time is a real plus. During the season they have 24+ official exclusive test days. (not crowded general test days) Running with all the competitors that you race against. The learning potential with this system is enormous.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2671017)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but do you still get a half arsed data system that just doesn't give out enough information? there's no point in having billions and billions of test days if you can't go beyond the absolute basics with a driver...
Old 12 Apr 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2671327)   #15
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending on budget, i would go FF or Formula Renault. FBMW was quite good but it's really expensive, and it's dying now so i wouldn't go in it. A season in BARC FR isn't too bad either, it's basically a cheaper version of FR, it's a good stepping stone.

Since your Canadian, i wouldn't take out the American road either. Skip Barber, F2000, Formula Mazda, which are all quite good. Then they progress into Indycar Lights which i think is getting stronger and stronger each year with a lot of european drivers making the move there now too. You see this year there is like 18 or so cars, and only 2 americans in the series. Quite a number of Canadians and of course now growing strenth in European drivers.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 04:06 (Ref:2672442)   #16
F1 Prospects
Racer

Canada
Montreal
F1 Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
Depending on budget, i would go FF or Formula Renault. FBMW was quite good but it's really expensive, and it's dying now so i wouldn't go in it. A season in BARC FR isn't too bad either, it's basically a cheaper version of FR, it's a good stepping stone.

Since your Canadian, i wouldn't take out the American road either. Skip Barber, F2000, Formula Mazda, which are all quite good. Then they progress into Indycar Lights which i think is getting stronger and stronger each year with a lot of european drivers making the move there now too. You see this year there is like 18 or so cars, and only 2 americans in the series. Quite a number of Canadians and of course now growing strenth in European drivers.
I would second this. Skip Barber, an F2000 Series, Star Mazda while getting some testing in across the pond if possible in FRenault or F3. We will see how that works out for Conor Daly!